VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, got a bit of a problem here. Upon inspecting the captures that I have been doing, I noticed that on all of them, there are at least 2 bars/bands of color near the top running horizontally across the entire video field. They do not show up as much in blues and darker hues, but reds and "hot" colors show them more pronounced.

Here is a sample (the area circled in red clearly shows the bands):

I've tested my original source tapes on a different VCR and the problem disappears, so I know that this is showing up from my JVC SR-V101US. I am unsure what to do, or even what is causing this problem. I welcome any insight.

Also, I have the mode set to Auto & TBC on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see alternating red and green bands. Is that what you are talking about?
    Do you see them when viewing directly from the VCR to a TV or Monitor?
    Are they more noticeable when you turn the TBC/DNR off?
    Were these tapes recorded on the JVC SR-V101US, or on a different VCR (or a Camcorder)?

They look like impact errors, but it's hard to say without knowing the answers to the above.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like a hardware problem.
    Quality is my policy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davideck,

To answer your questions:

1. The 2 green bands are what I was referring to...but looking at it some more you may be right, there may be red lines alternating with them. I'll have to look some more.

2. The lines show up when using this vcr connected directly to a TV.

3. Turning off the JVC's TBC/DNR does nothing - banding still shows up.

4. The tapes were recorded by camcorder, but I have tried other tapes. They all do the same thing...even movies.

What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here are some more samples. First 2 are from home vhs caps, second 2 are from The 5th Element.

Note how its hard to spot in the blue...

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! It's easier to notice on these new samples. Even the blue on the helicopter shot.
    I think these are impact errors. Impact errors are the result of tape fluctuations created as the video heads rotate and "Impact" the tape.

You claim that these artifacts do not show up when played on another VCR. That indicates that these errors are created during playback (as opposed to being recorded on tape), and is therefore indicative of the playback quality of the JVC SR-V101US.

What is the make and model of the other VCR? It may be a better choice for capturing...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So there isn't an internal adjustment or anything that could be serviced by jvc perhaps? I think I got this less than a year ago.

The other VCR is a magnavox 2-head from, oh 1996 or so. A very cheap modle. I dunno. The picture quality doesn't really compare.

I wonder if anyone else out there has had similar issues with the sr-v101us, or if I have a bum unit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks to me like the tapes were recorded on a messed up VCR. And the new VCR is having to struggle with a badly recorded signal. I see stuff like this all the time from other people's tapes. I always maintained my equipment, so I never see these issues on any of my tapes dating back quite a few years now.

It could even be some wiring you have here adding errors after the fact, after playback.

Power supplies (not in the VCR, outside it) could be a major issue too. Any kind of surge protected, lack of surge protectors, extension cords. VCR signal quality is very open to interference from power related issues.

Lots of things to look at here, just three more to add.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anitract
    So there isn't an internal adjustment or anything that could be serviced by jvc perhaps?
    I don't think so.
    The JVC SR-V101US looks to be built on the same chassis/transport as the 2900/3900/5900 series.
    I bought a 2900 new in a box for like $69 when CC was clearing them out. I took it back a week later because of these types of playback artifacts. The transport was pretty unstable.

The JVC VCRs before TBC/DNR had the best transports. IMHO, the introduction of the TBC/DNR allowed JVC to compromise the stability of their transports. On good recordings, my old 6800 without TBC/DNR looks as good and often better than my 9600 with TBC/DNR. The 2900 series was a step down from there. What a shame.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf,

*Commercial tapes (see 5th Element caps) display the same bands, so I know it's not just the tapes being recorded on a messed up machine.

*I know it's not my a/v cables - I tried differnet cables last night.

*It could be power-supply related. I am using a nice Belkin surge protector, but I'll try w/out & even on a different wall jack when I get home tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davideck,

At this point, unfortunately, I am thinking that you are most-likely right. I will do another round of testing tonight to make sure it is in fact the jvc. After that, I'm not sure. This was an expensive VCR and if it can't even handle commercially produced tapes properly, than something is really messed up with that!

I am mad that I didn't spot this sooner. I had seen the banding in reds almost immediately but dismissed it as being due to the old tapes / video camera used.

I just looked in my records and I purchased this on 01/31/2005 - so I've had it about 8 months.

EDIT: I just looked on the web-site and the vcr has a 12 month parts and labor warranty. Is it worth sending it in to them to look at?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it worth sending it in to them to look at?
    I think that sending it in is likely to do more harm than good.
    Based on my experience with the 2900 series, I suspect that this level of performance is normal.

They don't make them like they used to...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I emailed them to find out my options. I also linked to this thread. If this is the typical performance, that is NOT acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE:
    So I got a little response from JVC telling me to try some settings in the vcr menu setup. After messing with them for the good part of an hour, nothing touches this issue.

Also tried different powerstrip and even going directly into a different outlet...no effect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look like the VCR you have has a bad head
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well anitract, at least JVC replied to your email...
    Sorry about your situation.

FYI, I've had great luck purchasing JVC VCRs on Ebay.
    I've won a 9600, a 7600, a 5400, and a 4900, all in great shape at very low prices.
    (The 7600 was $40! )

Let us know how this turns out for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not convinced the SR-V101US is of any relation to the HR-S2900U. I've seen a number of JVC machines that use the same plastic cast molding, but are quite different on the inside.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After thinking about this, I've decided to send the unit into a JVC repair center while it's still under warranty. Now that I know this issue is there I see it everywhere. Thanks for all your help everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that I know this issue is there I see it everywhere.
    Yep - that's how video is; once you spot an artifact, you see it forever.

Before sending in your VCR, you might try physically relocating it just to rule out any stray interference. Anything is possible.

You might also try your camcorder as a playback machine. With respect to your home videos, using the same machine for record and playback often provides some benefits...

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I promised you guys an update, and here it is. I finally got the VCR back (after a 4-5 week wait). In summary: the problem is still there. I am completely ticked-off and have emailed JVC once again. Due to their inability to fix a VCR under warranty, I have requested a new VCR from them. I feel this is just, but am betting they will not want to comply.

Anyway, for the curious I will post some new caps whenever I can actually look at this machine without wanting to hurl it out my window.

And for the curious here is what my repair invoice says (parts that were replaced):
    I.C (M)
    I.C (MONO-ANA)

...whatever that means. No further explanation. I'm open to any comments/suggestions from anyone. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now to buy another one of these VCRs. *sigh*

So in the meantime, I will not be recommending this VCR or any JVC product to anyone.

PS: I did try alternative locations with it, along with alternative TVs, hardware, etc...the problem is always there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO, I doubt that the machine is defective.
    The transports on these later JVC machines seem to be of substandard quality. At least that has been my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If that's the case (though really, one would wonder how such a thing could go unnoticed on a large scale), then I am not sure what other route there is to go. Every other aspect of my VCR has been great. I especially love the picture quality. Nothing else that I can purcahse NEW at this price point comes close.

Anyone out there with this VCR or other high end JVCs care to check if they have similar banding? Reds show it most to me.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey ya'all. Got an update for you. Finally.

Mark this date in the history books: January 30, 2005 I got a refund. I tell you what...JVC gave me the complete runaround for over 4 months. This was an absolute nightmare for me. I haven't posted here, nor worked on my VHS project during this time because it has been so frustrating.

Now I am back, ready to try this again. However...what machine to get? I am looking at the next model up in the JVC line again...but after this whole experience I cringe at the thought of purchasing from JVC again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I too have the same problem. I own a JVC HR-S7600U and a 2901. Both have the color banding issue. I think I will pay the local authorized shop to take a look at it.

Neither have played more than a handful of tapes.

Has anyone else tested their high-end JVC's to see if they too have this problem?

I also purchased a DVD collection of an old TV series and it too has the same lines. The person used a HR-S9900U.

Very frustrating!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    evening all.

@ anitract

I saw this thread a while back but lost it. (thanks to another thread
    that pointed here, I found it again) anyways.

** Can you be more specific as to how these bands are showing up ??
    ** That is, do you know what color (background or other) that best shows this ??

Maybe I can help.. or not

Thanks,
    -vhelp 3829
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey vhelp, well as you can see I got rid of the machine with the problems, but it sounds like others MAY have similar issues. To answer your questions ...

**The banding showed up all the time. It was a little harder to notice in multi-colored images, or detailed shots. As far as I could tell they were always in the top of the field & there were around 2.

**The banding showed up the easiest in solid colors. For me, any solid red or orange is where I noticed it first. They would show up as a pretty obvious green. Other shades, like blue, would show the banding as well (see screen shots).

jeffshead says he notices similar banding in his JVC vcrs of other models. Happily, so far at least, I have not noticed the issue with my HR-S9500U. If other models have the possibility of this problem, I think everyone should monitor their JVC machines pretty closely.

jeffshead, any chance of some screen shots?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, here is a quick clip of the color banding

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya know, I was hoping it was all in your head, but...sure enough...its there.

Here is what I am interested in at this point: any screen caps with a similar color background done by ANYONE with a JVC VCR. I'd like to see the extent of this...maybe its in everything, or maybe only certain models...or maybe its something in all kinds of JVC VCRS that COULD go wrong?

So how about it? Anyone care to toss up a screen cap done with their JVC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll see if I can try it soon on some of my JVCs. I never noticed it before, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I'll see if I can find something with a large "sandy" colored area to try it on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen banding in many other VCRs.
    I've not seen it in any of my JVCs or Sharps.
    Quote Quote