VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi

my sister gave me a USB keyboard and it now is past its prime. when i connect a new keyboard to the PS2 port, windows dosent recognize it?

when i plug the new one in and check in Device Manager, no keyboard is present(even after reboot). i did go into the BIOS in case it somehow got disabled, but i could not find it??

any help appreciated.

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you were in BIOS did you see a 'enable USB keyboard' or similar? If so, try disabling it and reboot and that might get your PS2 port back. And just to mention the obvious, make sure you have the keyboard plugged into the right socket, not the mouse port.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    When you were in BIOS did you see a 'enable USB keyboard' or similar? If so, try disabling it and reboot and that might get your PS2 port back. And just to mention the obvious, make sure you have the keyboard plugged into the right socket, not the mouse port.
    i didn't see a USB keyboard in the BIOS. i did have it in the right port also.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen this sometimes where a USB keyboard or mouse fails to be recognized in Windows XP. Unplug the device and reboot your machine. When windows reloads allow it to completely load (HDD Activity LED is off) plug the device in. Windows XP should now find your new hardware.

Are you running SP2? If so you may have a USB keyobard not recognized by Microsoft. However, if you follow the steps above you will notice that your new hardware in the device manager is now found but isn't working. Download the Win98SE or WinXP(if available) drivers for this old keyboard. Follow the directions included with the driver and your old device will now work in SP2.

SP2 in my experience cripples the OS when using legacy hardware. if you plan on installing or currently using older hardware, I'd recommend against the SP2 update and instead download all security updates from MS individually.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    PS2 keyboard recognition should be be a automatic with any motherboard. The only thing I can think of is a problem with the OS.

Try this: Boot into Safe Mode, (Usually hit F5 during boot) Check Device Manager and if a USB KB or any other is present, uninstall the keyboard and reboot.

I checked the MS site and this problem is unusual. It may be a port issue. Try uninstalling your COM port, then reboot and let the OS reinstall it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for all the replies. it seems i need new glasses

i had the mouse plugged into the keyboard port, and vice versa. i ended up calling microsoft and after the initial BS it was solved in 34min(long distance).

now i know i'm getting old

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't feel so bad. I did the same thing a year ago and was about to rip the computer apart when I figured out I had the cables reversed.
    Quote Quote