VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I had a two hour TV show converted from a Final Cut express project, which waas converted to a Quicktime (.mov) 21.62gb file. In order to put on DVD, I used ffmpeg, which converted it into a mpeg2, 1.86gb (.m2v) video file and a 102.1mb, (mp3) audio file.

Now, after putting them into toast 6.0 under the video tabe to burn to DVD, i am told that "Not enough free space on disk 2514367 sectors (4.8gb) are needed, 2298496 sectors (4.4gb) are available.

I have no idea why sinceboth audio and video are no where near 4.4gb.

Any help would be great, as I havent seen this specific problem addresed anywhere. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toast often has problems with ffmpegx encoded files,
    and is telling you in advance that it is going to
    re-encode something, most likely the video.
    Why, if I may ask, did not you use Compressor to
    make your files? Toast would have better luck
    with Compressor (QTbased)files.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks Terry for the quick and kind response...

Frankly, I didnt use compressor because didnt know i could. i'm new to all this and a lot of the basics are still very murky. is that program readily available in OSX, or downloadable for free ?

thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You also need to update to Toast 6.1.1. Toast 6.0 always re-encoded MPEG videos whereas Toast 6.1.1 only re-encodes those that are not DVD compliant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Compressor should have came with your legit copy of Final Cut.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  6. Does it come with Final Cut Express also?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Compressor must not come with Final Cut Express, as i found the link to the program, but it's inactive.

Still wondering why I am told "not enough disk space" when the video and audio files, 1.86gb (.m2v) & 102.1mb (mp3) respectively, are under the 4.7gb limit of a standard DVD-R.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kubrick74
    Compressor must not come with Final Cut Express, as i found the link to the program, but it's inactive.

Still wondering why I am told "not enough disk space" when the video and audio files, 1.86gb (.m2v) & 102.1mb (mp3) respectively, are under the 4.7gb limit of a standard DVD-R.

thanks.
    Does the message say "disk" or "disc". If it says "disk" then there isn't enough space on the hard drive where Toast has its Converted Items folder (which can be changed in Toast Preferences). If it says "disc" then your video is more than 90 minutes long and Toast is wanting to re-encode the video.

As I mentioned earlier, Toast 6.0 had a bug that caused it to re-encode everything. But that was fixed in the later versions. The current version will only re-encode your MPEGs if they do not conform with DVD specs. The DVD specs are described in the "What Is DVD" link at the top left of this page.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kubrick74
    Compressor must not come with Final Cut Express, as i found the link to the program, but it's inactive.

thanks.
    aaah...I didn't see the Express in your original post. Yes, FCE
    does NOT come with Compressor.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz View Post
    Does the message say "disk" or "disc". If it says "disk" then there isn't enough space on the hard drive where Toast has its Converted Items folder (which can be changed in Toast Preferences).
    I know I'm resurrecting a long-dormant thread, but a big THANKS for this! I was at the point of nearly pulling my hair out as to why Toast was suddenly telling me "not enough space" when I knew there was plenty of space on the blank DVD-R (for disc) or hard drive (where I tried to save a disc image to).

turns out this "Converted items" location was exactly the problem. I had less than 4GB available on the startup drive (which is the default location for that folder).

I'm using a much later version of Toast (version 11), but the error message is still annoyingly misleading. You'd have thought they'd make it more explicit, by saying something about 'insufficient disc space for Toast's Converted Items folder' to complete job. Please delete items or change the location of this folder in Toast's preferences).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For the original poster, audio was also part of the problem. Mp3 was not and is not a valid codec for DVD-Video audio stream types, so it would have had to be re-encoded.

Because it was already needing to do that, it decided to re-encode the video as well, I am guessing.

And then, as you mentioned, the scratch space was probably also insufficient. Especially if the scratch space needed to hold interim files which might be less- or uncompressed.

But, btw, it would have been better to start a new thread that to resurrect such an old one.

Scott
    Quote Quote