VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I downloaded the MPEG files (VCD) of the new Star Trek series "Enterprise" using Morpheus.
    I've burned them on VCD (without any recompressing/converting... they are VCD format!) and then I've tried to watch my new VCD on my NAPA DAV 311, which is good for MP3 CD listening but awful for VCD watching!
    But, I couldn't believe it, THE MOVIE WORKED WELL, fluid and with a good image quality!!!
    I've used the same app (Nero) the same speed (2x) and the same media (Sony CD-R) to burn this, but the results are TOTALLY different from before!
    So I think it depends from the kind of convertion you make to movies... can anybody suggest me which kind of format, compression, these files use?
    If I'd be able to set the same parameters on TMPGEnc when I convert my avi (M-JPEG from my capture card, or any other format...), I should obtain a fluid, good quality VCD even on my NAPA, isn't it???
    But when I try to convert movies by myself to VCD format and then I burn the VCD, my NAPA works pretty bad, with blocky freezeng (jumping) image and so on...
    What should I do to obtain the same quality as the "Enterprise" MPEG I downloaded?

Any suggestions???

Bye bye and thank you...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The answer depends on a lot of things but mainly the source, the capture size, any compression used in capture and the settings used in making the mpg.

If you have a quality source like satellite or DVD then you can probably make a quality VCD. If not, it's tougher to get quality. I'd bet the episodes you have were captured from a digital source like satellite or digital cable.

Your capture resolution should be at least the size of the VCD standard and some say it should be larger. YMMV. Use lossless compression or very low compression in capping your video else expect crap. Use the templates that come with TMPGenc and follow the guides before you start tinkering with the settings.

In the end, you should get something that approaches what you have with the "Enterprise" episodes.
    Quote Quote