VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    yeah, the in and out times are often very close or even overlap, this causes the upcoming line to fail to display. Had to do a fair amount of timing adjustment, even after combining the single line entries to two lines per.

It is still not perfect, some display times are too short. But at least they almost all show up, I may work on removing all the "sound effects" lines, or "hearing impaired" entries, but not everything in parantheses is a sound effect and this may not solve the timing issues completely.

Can you confirm your E-mail address in another PM? Got "undeliverable" on the current one.
    Hey Nelson, would you mind to send me ati2srt please ? I would be really interested. Thank you very much. guilamu at gmail dot com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson,

I really like your initiative of creating an application that can convert an ATI CC file to an SRT file.

I would really appreciate if you could send me the application or show me the location of it in the web.

My e-mail is ricardovas@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    yeah, the in and out times are often very close or even overlap, this causes the upcoming line to fail to display. Had to do a fair amount of timing adjustment, even after combining the single line entries to two lines per.

It is still not perfect, some display times are too short. But at least they almost all show up, I may work on removing all the "sound effects" lines, or "hearing impaired" entries, but not everything in parantheses is a sound effect and this may not solve the timing issues completely.
    Have you tried Subtitle Workshop?
    It can automatically fix, or at least indicate, errors like overlapping times, and to delete hearing impaired text if you want. It can also change times in many ways, including estimating lengths based on the number of characters. And functions for line wrapping and joining and separating subtitles.
    Also it has the ability to define custom file formats.
    Many functions are rather obscurely named and hidden on submenus, but if you RTFM you will find it extremely useful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks For Your help !

I found this software who did the job pretty...pretty....pretty well : here =>=> CCExtractorGUI !!

http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/ccextractor_for_windows.html

i put the dvd in the DVD drive and Drag and Drop all the files and directly convert to srt so very easy to use !
    When the task is complete, the output file is a SRT

the next step is to open it with Subtitle Workshop :

File => Open Load Subtitle
    File => Save as.... you have to select SubRip and Save it with a new filename/folder

If in the subtitle, all the characters are in capital letters, you have to open the SRT File with Notepad 2

Select all the contain of the SRT (Ctrl + A) and convert with this keyboard shortcut (CTRL + Alt + O) or (Edit=> convert)

Hope it's will be helpful !
    Last edited by faker; 3rd Feb 2011 at 02:11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. All you have to do is look in the "TOOLS" section of this site under "Subtitle".
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since you all reminded me of Subtitle Workshop, I have a warning for you.

First, this is a great program with many excellent features.

BUT, at least with ATI captured files, IF you fast forward with an MPG file, the subtitles will loose synch. Authoring a DVD prevents this. Since I was changing the subtitle timing with my converter program, I ended up chasing my tail for quite some time.

When I say FF, I should say scrub, as I dragged the slider forward. Small steps seemed OK but I would typically play about 5 minutes, then scrub forward to about 5 minutes from the end. Very frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I understand this is an old thread, but it might offer valuable help to future users having trouble extracting closed captions from DVDs.
    I have found out an easy way out from the whole trouble of extracting closed captions from a DVD when wanting to have backups of TV shows DVDs and multi episodes on each disk, causing CCextractor to become useless.
    All you need are 3 freeware programs. DVD Decrypter, Handrbrake and Subtitle Edit.
    The whole story is to create 2 files, 1 with the actual movie and a second with the *.srt subtitle.
    1st we run Handbrake and dragging-drop the directory VIDEO_TS for processing (produced by the DVD Decrypter to bypass all locks and produce an unlocked VIDEO_TS directory with the DVD contents).
    Here we will pay attention on the subtitles.
    We need to create 2 movie files. 1 movie file will have no subtitles at all (for that reason, on the Subtitles tab of the handbrake, we uncheck all 3 boxes called Forced Only, Burn In, Default and paying attention to adjust settings for optimal resolution as it will be the final file for viewing) and a 2nd movie file where we will check the Default box on the Subtitles tab of the Handbrake so a movie file with selectable closed captions will be created. To fasten things up, adjust settings for very fast encoding. Pay attention on the framerate of both files, it needs to be the same so not having to adjust through Subtitle edit.
    After the creation of the 2 different movie files, I've loaded Subtitle Edit and loaded the file which contains the Closed Captions. The software will auto select subtitles type as *.ass and UTF8 (in my case, encoding was CC608).
    We are making the appropriate editing on the subtitles (removing any unwanted lines and symbols causing our subtitles not appearing correctly and auto-translate using the Google API maybe, also correcting the total timestamps, usually produced movie files are having their subtitles appear some seconds later or earlier).
    After having finished editing I've saved the file as an *.srt file which can be played as an external *.srt file using the 1st movie file that contains no subtitles.
    Hope I've helped.
    Last edited by blueox; 13th Aug 2023 at 11:21.
    Quote Quote