VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have encoded my dv files to .MOV mpeg-4 for a while with no problems, until now. Sinse I upgraded ffmpegX to 0.0.9t the .movs I create won't play in Quicktime (7.0.1). They open and the sound will play (if it doesn't crash) but the screen remains whilte. Looking at the movie information, it says the format is DivX 4.1.2. With movies created in previous versions of ffmpegX the information says the format is MPEG-4 Video, which obviously makes more sense than saying it's DivX.

I have updated all the binaries and have the latest version of DivX installed.

Anbody know what's going wrong?

Thanks.

EDIT: The movies/.MOV's I'm trying to create are 320x240 and are no longer than a few minutes in length, if this information is useful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ditto for Me -

When I encode a full 42 minute episode of an HD show in H.264(I'm making a file of 960x544 in size), the screen stays white the whole time in playback on Quicktime 7.0.1 while the sound plays.

HOWEVER . . . it does not do this for smaller samples. I was able to encode and view 1 and 2 minute excerpts. So does this have to do with filesize or length maybe? It also doesn't do this for XVID .MOV, just the H.264

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you sure you're not opening the .aac.mp4 intermediate file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I assume that's not aimed at my original problem as that intermediate file doesn't show up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Anyone any idea's about this problem?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm checking it and am looking at which differences in the ffmpeg core could cause this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Please try again with the 0.0.9t r3 version which I just uploaded at http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ffmpegX.dmg (no need to reinstall binaries, just download again the disk image and overwrite the application). Please report if it works now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks! I'll let you know in a day or two when I get chance to have a play with it. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried ffmpegX 0.0.9t r3, and I'm sorry to say that the resulting file is still a white screen throughout playback. If I open the mp4 in EyeTV, which plays Quicktime movies, the screen is black throughout. So I'm sad to report, no change on this issue. Once again, this is for a 42 minute episode of HDTV material.

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Can you email me a link to download a small clip of your HDTV material, so as I can test again?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Major,

I believe you have a small sample of my HDTV material. You can use that. However, I'm not sure if a small sample is helpful. I can successfully encode and playback 1, 2, and 3 minute samples, and the results are stellar. It's when you encode longer material, ie an entire 42 minute episode, that the white screen manifests itself.

BTW, this problem seems independant of the size of the video. I've gotten this error both when encoding to 960x544 and 848x480. The key factor to the white screen problem is the length of the file.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist.

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok, I've tried ffmpegX 0.0.9t r3 now and I'm affraid I'm getting the same results as I did before; Quicktime's screen remains white and it hangs, requiring a force quit if I play the movie. On the movie info it says it's DivX 4.1.2 rather than MPEG-4 Video too.

The movie I'm trying to encode is from .DV file just 12 seconds long, so unlike stshipley, I have this problem with short movies too.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help too.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I just tried encoding a DV and a MPG with the MOV MPEG-4 preset and they're playing fine in QT Player. I need to reproduce the problem in order to understand. Which version of QT are you using, which version of OSX, did you install the divx.com codec?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have OSX 10.3.9, QT 7.0.2 & DivX 5.2.1
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just as an FYI Major, my white-screen movie correctly shows as H.264 in the Movie Info. My Mac is a G5 1.8 SP, and is Tiger 10.4.2 and Quicktime 7.0.2.

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Major, would you like me to snail mail you a DVD of the Raw file I'm trying to encode?

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am also having this same problem so it doesn't seem to be isolated. Here's my specs:

0.0.9t (obviously) and the codecs indicated in the install package (ffmpegXbinaries20050814 and the mpeg2enc)
    G3 iBook 800 (buh, need to upgrade)

I've also uploaded an example to my server at http://www.sodadesign.com/ffmpegX/test.mov. Be warned, it's a 19MB dl.

Any chance of getting 0.0.9s in the meantime? I gather it was still working in that version.

Otherwise, a fantastic app.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Just as a test, I uninstalled DivX from my Mac and did a clean install (I deleted everything DivX associated - is there a better way, like an uninstaller anyone knows about?) of DivX 5.2.1. I then tried the encode I'm having problems with. The resulting .MOV DID actaully play in QT this time! BUT, the movie info still say's it was DivX 4.1.2 rather than MPEG4 Video. Also, if I scroll the play head without playing the movie, the video becomes completely garbled and wont recover, so it seems a pretty unstable little movie. I'll keep fiddling around though.

Major; in the test you did that worked, did the movie info in QT say it was MPEG4 Video?

EDIT: For some reason the movie opens with a green screen on the first frame too
    Quote Quote  
  20. I didn't keep the clip, I can try again though. Also try encoding with 0.0.9s to report any differences. It is available at http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ffmpegX_0.0.9s.dmg
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for that link to the past version. I just did an encode and all is working as expected again, including 'MPEG4 Video' in the movie info too!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still get the white screen for H.264 material.

So did you want me to mail you a DVD of the full source material Major?

Or set up a Giant FTP? We can take this offline if you want.

scott-shipley@comcast.net

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  23. Try already by sending me a FTP link for a small clip of your H264 file (you may cancel encoding a minute after you launched it, to obtain one). My email is major4@mac.com
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot - you have already downloaded the clip. You dowloaded it from a link I sent you from yousendit.com on September 6th. Let me know if I need to resend it.

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will installing version "s" require installing the previous binaries?

Originally Posted by major
    I didn't keep the clip, I can try again though. Also try encoding with 0.0.9s to report any differences. It is available at http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ffmpegX_0.0.9s.dmg
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lkearl
    Will installing version "s" require installing the previous binaries?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote