VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi!

I just want to know the best way to increase video quality when using the new H.264 preset. Do i increase the bitrate or are there other adjustments that are important (or better) too?

An example or tutorial would be nice .
    Quote Quote  
  2. Enable cabac and b-frames, then disable "constant bitrate", and set qmax=qmin=22. Or even use 21 or 20 for a little more quality (there is no much point about lowering it too much, though).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by major
    Enable cabac and b-frames, then disable "constant bitrate", and set qmax=qmin=22. Or even use 21 or 20 for a little more quality (there is no much point about lowering it too much, though).
    Thanks major, but what about the bitrate, should i leave it at 660, it seams a little low?
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you disable "Constant bitrate", the specified bitrate will be ignored, as it will vary continuously depending on the relationship between qmin and the scene complexity.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for that info, i'm going to try these settings now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks major.
    Great tips to save many experimenting hours of mine.

Gareth
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to encode a VOB. file with the H.264 codec, and I actually get it done, following advices given in the forum, but specifically the file is aproximatly 1Gb and ffmpegx transformes it in a 161.9Mb file, using QMax=QMin=20 with scalling method bicubic spline, Multi-Hexagon and b-frame selected and I-frames interval 120, but the result is not has smooth and prestine has the vob. file and the color seems slightly darker and less reflective.
    Is it possible to get a better image (DVD equal) and even a smaller file?
    Congratulation on the development javascript:emoticon('')
    Quote Quote  
  8. Another question for you major, since it seams to be a need for advice on H.264 encoding.

If you want to make a super duper quality backup with a commercial dvd (that you have bought of course) without loosing any video quality (not visible by the human eye), is it still possible to make a smaller H.264 file?

Whats the story with the Diamond, Hexagon etc ? Is it something you should consider when you making your backups, and why?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm trying to understand ffmpegX better.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Video quality can be checked by using the PSNR option, it will print at the end of encoding a value in decibel of the signal/noise ratio. The higher this number, the better the quality. You may vary options and evaluate the impact on quality.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explaining, i'll keep trying now using the print function. I have another question, regarding Avi. files, can they be converted to H.264 through ffmpegx? I triyed (more than one way) but the result was not sucessful. Quicktime said it is not a file understandable. Is it possible to overcome this?

Best Regards

hito
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did the encoding, now with the 'print PSNR' selected, there is just one problem, I don't know were the info from the print of the encoding can be found.

hito
    Quote Quote  
  12. It can be found at the end of the process output (click the blue "i" icon in the Progress window).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you could help me on this...

Thanks for the explaining, i'll keep trying now using the print function. I have another question, regarding Avi. files, can they be converted to H.264 through ffmpegx? I triyed (more than one way) but the result was not sucessful. Quicktime said it is not a file understandable. Is it possible to overcome this?

With my Best Regards

hito
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes, you can convert AVI files. If you encounter an error, email me to major4@mac.com the process output (blue "i" icon in the progress window).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since I could not encode the avi. file, I have sent an email asking for directions, has you sugested.

hito
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am sorry for the persistance, but I am doing a project which depends on the encodings from ffmpegx, if you could reply soon it would be great!

Best Regards

hito
    Quote Quote  
  17. I sent you a reply just now.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks
    I have selected 'invert mapping' and the clip is now playing, all ok apart from the video being compressed to exactly the first 50% of the clip, the last 50% of the clip the screen goes white while the sound just goes normally until the end, being the image out of sync with the music.
    How to solve?

Best Regards
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the avi. clip we spoke about before the image is out of sync with the sound, (around 50% faster than the sound). How can I overpass this?

hito
    Quote Quote  
  20. Can you send me a link to download your clip so as I can test? I'm trying to determine in which exact cases the sync issues do appear with H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my homepage address is http://homepage.mac.com/hito_/FileSharing2.html
    the file is "Cirque du Soleil - Dralion"

hito
    Quote Quote  
  22. Please try again with the 0.0.9t r3 version which I just uploaded at http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ffmpegX.dmg (no need to reinstall binaries, just download again the disk image and overwrite the application). Please report if it works now.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    javascript:emoticon('') FFMPEGX worked!
    Thank You, the avi. file was encoded correctly with version R3, but the quality was not the best (because the original file was not very good quality either). I will now try with a Avi. file with good quality and I will then report to you the final result.
    Once again thank Youj avascript:emoticon('')

hito
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another question regarding H.264 encoding.
    Why does the H.264 encoded file look alwyas darker than the original. The image is improved (regarding usage of the filters), but some quality is lost on the final result because of the darker image.

How could I solve this?

hito
    Quote Quote  
  25. Did you try the Brightness/Contrast filters?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not tryed them. Is there any sugestions for the best solution using H.264?

hito
    Quote Quote  
  27. You may change their value from -100 to 100 and click PLAY to preview the final result.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have changed the Brightness value to 9 and the encoded file turned out stretched vertically, not being in the correct proportion. I only changed that, what may I do to fish this?

Best Regards

hito
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry, I meant fix.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Make sure the size in the video tab hasn't been changed. In the doubt, select "Unconstrained" as autosize and re-enter the desired target size.
    Quote Quote