VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Shows Sold Out.. Is it Brand new? Looks like they have just started getting them in the stores.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I saw it tonight. Pretty small, $123 or so... Seems it's new. Couldn't find any reviews on Internet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Live in Phoenix, Az all the stores here have them in stock, watch out on these Toshiba DVD players hvae owned 2 different models at around this price range both ended up failing within 6 months and the Digital to analog Chips are very noisey, has alot of hiss in them, my best luck have been with panasonic single disk DVD players, just too bad they don't make one that plays Divx, do own 3 of the Philips 742 models that play Divx and thats about all they are good for, playing Divx AVI's, they collect dust except for that, walmart still sells those for $59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. My Toshiba SD-4900 (Region Free, SVCD, etc) has worked flawlessly for a year and does excellent PAL to NTSC conversion. If this new 4980 can be hacked the same way and handles Divx well, it might be a hit!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought this player. Two things you should know about.

1) For some reason in the setup menu you actually have to select component output or they won't work.

2) While it will play DivX from CD-R/RW, it is not gauranteed to, and in my experience, will not play DivX from DVD - R(16x or 8X - tried both Verbatim and Memorex) or DVD+R (Verbatim 16X)
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can check out these search threads i did on 4980 in the avs dvd player forum. Seems to have so so comments on it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=2173411
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That link comes up as an empty search.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by thxkid
    Live in Phoenix, Az all the stores here have them in stock, watch out on these Toshiba DVD players hvae owned 2 different models at around this price range both ended up failing within 6 months and the Digital to analog Chips are very noisey, has alot of hiss in them, my best luck have been with panasonic single disk DVD players, just too bad they don't make one that plays Divx, do own 3 of the Philips 742 models that play Divx and thats about all they are good for, playing Divx AVI's, they collect dust except for that, walmart still sells those for $59.
    same thing happened to my brother in law dvd player.his also didn't last 6 to 8 months.
    I think the Pioneer PIONEER DV-383S Multi-Zone DVD Player Divx player is a better deal
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AN5DT0/qid=1127573081/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8__i4_xgl23/1...onics&v=glance
    Quote Quote