VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How big is the screen which you watch movies on at home?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    that setup takes the cake...what kind of projector are you using?

i am sooo going to have something like that in my next home...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nice setup Hardcoreruss
    Life is like a pothole, you just have to learn to get around it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @ Hardcoreruss
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!
    Is that screen mounted to your wall or ceiling ?

That's what i need to be able to mount to my ceiling to pull down in front of my Entertainment Center/TV for watching movies. There are tons of projection dealers around but they dont really have the screens on display to actually look at.
    And im not too lazy, i can save some cash and get up to pull it down
    Quote Quote  
  4. I know nothing about photography and would not know a good photo if it introduced itself.

The cameria is a Pentax Option 550.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by greymalkin
    that setup takes the cake...what kind of projector are you using?

i am sooo going to have something like that in my next home...
    The Projector is a Sony HS50

@Noahtuck

Yeah the screen is a manual pull down and it is mounted to my ceiling.

I have posted it before but here is the other half of the room.

The projector sits on a rather crappy DIY shelf as I could not find a ceiling mount with a long enough arm.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TV not being what it is for entertainment as it used to be. I don`t watch so much TV, given up with the endless boring adverts between programs. Program planners have come to a halt in bringing something new, likewise films are going the same way, FX and more FX are losing their interest. People need to get out more, it`s cheaper going for a walk and you get fresh air and meet real people.........Monster TV screens speak volumes of peoples nature, my 21 inch TV has all I need when and if I need to watch it. ............TV does not rule my life...........

Most USA tv is unwatchable for advert interruptions and the UK is nowhere near as bad, but is going the same way......... constant interruptions lose peoples interest in anything.
    TV is the worst offender, a brilliant invention ruined by naff advert overkill.......... Cinema films will have advert breaks soon its just a matter of time!
    Quote Quote  
  7. it's a cover up!!!!!
    COOKIEEE!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've got a 27" flat screen for the living room and a 20" LCD in the office that doubles as a compiter monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    100"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For home theater, one site I like is http://www.projectorcentral.com/.
    For a projection screen, if you can afford it, a electric one is best. If you get a manual screen, get one with a regulated windup. It keeps from damaging the screen if you let go of the cord. I have a Da-Lite brand, grey HDTV type. I have a 5X8 ft. screen at 17 foot viewing distance. The only downside is you need a dark room to view it properly. I've had my setup for over 2 years and I don't regret the purchase for a minute. I much prefer it to rear projection. I use a Sony VPL-HS2, still on the original projection bulb.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I met someone the other day, who had over 100 movie dvd`s. It struck me how often you could watch 100 movies and how many times would you want to watch each one. When you know what is coming next at any part of the movie. So there they were 100 dvd`s on his shelf collecting dust. Who would really want to watch the same movies over and over again?

Now music cd`s collections are more sensible, listen while you work, while driving and music at a party etc, without staring at that screen for hours on end...........and pay stupid amounts of money on setups just to watch them over and over?

After hearing arnie say " I`ll be back" 50 times, you`ll hope he dosn`t come back...........

The local cinema is the best option for me to watch a good film when one comes along...........far cheaper than a dvd and less clutter and expense in the house .....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by LOWTECH
    I met someone the other day, who had over 100 movie dvd`s. It struck me how often you could watch 100 movies and how many times would you want to watch each one. When you know what is coming next at any part of the movie. So there they were 100 dvd`s on his shelf collecting dust. Who would really want to watch the same movies over and over again?

Now music cd`s collections are more sensible, listen while you work, while driving and music at a party etc, without staring at that screen for hours on end...........and pay stupid amounts of money on setups just to watch them over and over?

After hearing arnie say " I`ll be back" 50 times, you`ll hope he dosn`t come back...........

The local cinema is the best option for me to watch a good film when one comes along...........far cheaper than a dvd and less clutter and expense in the house .....
    If you feel like this, then you're not really into movies.

I have much more than 100 dvd movies, and there's people here that has 10 times that. If movies were your passion, then you could understand it.

Now... I never understood those people collecting dead bugs...
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MeDiCo_BrUjO........I have seen many movies over many years, on TV and at the cinema. Good films with a good story have been in short supply. Film FX have taken centre stage in quite a few films the last 10 years, but have many weak story lines, some boarding on rubbish.

Regarding people with massive DVD collections how many times do you or others actually watch every movie per year. Just say someone has got a 300 DVD movie collection is pointless if you don`t watch them all at least twice a year ..... and that would mean watching around 12 movies every week. Then repeat the same proccess the next year with more to watch if more are added to the collection..... where does one get the time to watch that amount ?
    If you don`t watch them, then you are no better off than anybody with none. You might as well have empty DVD cases on the shelf........
    A dvd collection not watched in full on a regular basis is pointless having at all, apart from bragging that I have a 100 plus DVD collection.

Most people would be fed up watching the same 100 plus movies over and over again. And to sit and watch 300 to 500 DVDs every year.... sad comes to most peoples mind?

Still it takes all kinds of people to make up the world ..... enjoy your collection.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Its also about collecting. "HOBBY"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LOWTECH
    And to sit and watch 300 to 500 DVDs every year.... sad comes to most peoples mind?

Still it takes all kinds of people to make up the world ..... enjoy your collection.
    Enjoy you're twenty year old 14 inch TV.

People who usually complain about other people's film collections hide they're consternation over having none.I've met people who complain about other people's DVD huge collections. It's rooted in one's love for the cinema. Or it should be. Not material gain as you imply. If someone collects DVDs solely for showing off to friends or neighbors then that individual is indeed truly sad as you say. Even sadder is thinly veiled jealousy. But nothing beats the convenience of pulling a film off a shelf and watching it at any time day or night. especially if you have a busy schedule, and can't make it to the last theatre showing of the night.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK
    Nothing beats the convenience of pulling a film off a shelf and watching it at any time day or night. especially if you have a busy schedule, and can't make it to the last theatre showing of the night.
    Exactly, that's one of the advantages of having the titles you like at home. Sometimes TV programming (Yes, cable included) sucks, and you have to resort to your stack in order to have a good time in front of your tv whenever you want it.

If you are happy having your DVD collection, then that's great!.

Sad for me is somebody passing judgment on other people's likes. Specially in a forum dedicated to VIDEO lovers.

Just say someone has got a 300 DVD movie collection is pointless if you don`t watch them all at least twice a year .....
    To you maybe, but not for us.

I'm just happy to have them there, and feel the freedom to watch any movie I like at anytime I feel like it.

A dvd collection not watched in full on a regular basis is pointless having at all, apart from bragging that I have a 100 plus DVD collection.
    Again, for you maybe, but so far I have not seen that your possition about this has an echo around here.

And to sit and watch 300 to 500 DVDs every year.... sad comes to most peoples mind?
    Again, very foolish to say this in a video lover's forum.

And by the type of responses I've read so far to your post... I don't think that "sad" is coming to most people's minds.

Still it takes all kinds of people to make up the world.
    Yeah!, there's a lot of whiners out there.

enjoy your collection.
    I do!, thank you very much.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. mines only 4".....
    ...shit wrong poll!!!

naa....

LOWTECH wrote:

Most people would be fed up watching the same 100 plus movies over and over again. And to sit and watch 300 to 500 DVDs every year.... sad comes to most peoples mind?
    dude has lost the plot!!!.....
    i suppose vintage car, art, antiques, guns, collectors... sportsfans... are all sad too...
    people who go clubin all day/drink eats well are too????

i bet you don't, these are assumed the norm....

looks like this guy is the sad, insecure type.... needing to put some one down so they could feel important.... cause this is way off the original topic

some one ban this tart!!

don't anyone waste time tryin to justify wot u like 8) [/quote]
    COOKIEEE!!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When the price comes down a bit more I'm probably going to get one of these. Until then, I'm still using a 15 year old 21" RCA.

http://www.syntaxgroups.com/products/32hve_spec.html
    Quote Quote  
  19. nothing special. 27 inch LCD TV, Philips DVP-642 DVD player, JBL speakers for sound. it suits my needs, as a college student living at home for now.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a 65" HDTV Mitsubishi rear projection
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    61" wide screen
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Man, you guys really don't watch TV or live in a awfully small apartment!
    Only 27% watch anything larger than a 42" set??.............
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  23. 100" screen in the living room with Sanyo projector. 56" JVC D-ILA in the family room but at the moment no surround sound since there are placement issues for speakers etc. Yet since we got it, we do most of our viewing there and the setup is not used much (apart from when I want to play DVD-Audio)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony KDFE50A10 50" LCD Rear Projection Television
    5.1 Sound
    Quote Quote  
  25. We are stucked with a lot 27~32inch TV that refuse to die.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sadly my TV is a 27" flat tube.
    Quote Quote  
  27. 92 inch screen with an Infocus Screenplay 4805 projector for watching movies and 27" Sanyo or 32" RCA for watching TV.
    Man, it's so nice to watch movies on this size of screen. You really get into the movie, even when you've seen the movie before.

Ciao

home%20theatre%20resized.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by slickster
    Man, it's so nice to watch movies on this size of screen. You really get into the movie, even when you've seen the movie before.
    You get that as long as you can't see the TV itself.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally have a pic. Let's see if I can upload

Quote Quote