VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Would you be interested in a videohelp short film competition?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We might arrange a short film competition with prize money(from our sponsors).

Would you be interested?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I, for one, would most certainly be interested in viewing the entries, and seeing what the talented people out there can come up with.
    Unfortunately I am not yet at that level where I can afford the equipment to properly contribute anything worth the time to view (it would be with a 4.1 digi-still cam on mov mode if I HAD to..).
    however, as I've said above, I would very much like to see what others come up with... amateur-pro... discuss the process, tips etc... I think its a great idea...
    scratch the surface off a cynic - you will find a disillusioned idealist.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a great idea, But I wouldnt stand a chance!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This sounds interesting

How short is "short", and would there be a "theme" or specific guidelines to follow?
    George
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would be sometime worth while
    Quote Quote  
  6. Only if I get to retain my property rights. I discovered years ago after submitting a program to a magazine that in doing so I gave all rights to the magazine and it was no longer my program. They turned around and sold a "best of" disk with several programs they had received (of which, mine was one), I got nothing for it. When I complained I was directed to the fine print where by submitting the program I turned ownership over to them. Since then I have been very careful to read the fine print before submitting anything to anyone.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wouldn't be able to participate, but it would be
    fun to watch!

I don't know if these are the types of short films that Baldrick
    wants, but this website has a few........

http://www.pleix.net/films.html

Quote Quote  
  8. I think it's a good idea. Would be nice to see the wide range of proffesional submissions to complete garbage (but funny), like the stuff I make. I probably wouldn't be able to submit, cause I use real music (copyrughted) and stuff as my backround tracks, but would still be a fun contest.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Second the question about maximum/minimum length, theme, subject, etc. Also what format for submissions?

Another question, regarding the no commercials policy on posting submissions, would a short video which constituted a commercial advertisement be acceptable? The advertisement is for my own services, not a nationwide product or company.

It is actually an old ad which contains an out-of-service phone number, so I would not be concerned about tons of phone calls.

Should there be any guidelines on strict copyright issues? I took some care to make sure only public domain images were used, as this was originally intended for submission to the local cable channel. I am no legal expert but if a cash prize is being offered, this has substantial bearing on copyright and public domain issues, as it now becomes a for-profit endeavor.

For instance, you take a video of someone falling on their butt and show it to friends for laughs, no problem. But submit it for commercial purposes, and I think you need to get a release from the butt-faller, and possibly from the owner of the ground and/or facility unto which the butt actually fell.

I don't want to be a killjoy, but I would hate to see Baldrick have his own butt fall into some serious doo-doo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shadow57
    I don't know if these are the types of short films that Baldrick wants, but this website has a few........

http://www.pleix.net/films.html
    If the standard of submissions is this high, I won't stand a chance...!!!

Would there be any budgetary restrictions? Other than spending more than is on offer for the top prize of course...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think it would be VERY interesting!
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'd compete if the FireWire port on my DVC wasn't damaged.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In case anybody missed it...

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    We might arrange a short film competition with prize money(from our sponsors).
    Would you be interested?
    Broken camera? Borrow one!
    Slow net connection? Library, friends, family, school, work!
    Bad DV card? Newegg or ebay, less than $15 shipped!

In other words, worth it. 8)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Certainly! Bring it on!!!

Roger
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Second the question about maximum/minimum length, theme, subject, etc. Also what format for submissions?
    We are still discussing the details.

However, the maximum length will probably be around 7 minutes and minimum of 2.5 minutes.

Format will be in DivX5/6/XviD + MP3/AC3 audio as an AVI.

Subject and themes have not be decided as of yet.

Another question, regarding the no commercials policy on posting submissions, would a short video which constituted a commercial advertisement be acceptable?
    We haven't discussed this but I would imagine not.

But submit it for commercial purposes, and I think you need to get a release from the butt-faller, and possibly from the owner of the ground and/or facility unto which the butt actually fell.
    Copyright will have to be observed and so one would imagine that you will need permission from your "actors".

We will probably ask that submissions be original works that have not been previously submitted to another competition.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to see what our members can do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evening all.

Personally, I do not prefer divX as the final medium. I much
    prefer MPEG-2 ..but your decision was probably based on Size;
    and Length; to maximize the two for the contest.

Just to be sure I understand (case others do not either) ..
    Is this a contest for:

** Quality, or
    ** Craftmanship (best director, and source content/creativity)
    ** or both

Just curious

Thanks,
    -vhelp 3525
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if I'm speaking out of turn here, but my assumption would be it's based on both content quality/originality AND technical video quality. Just my thoughts on it.

Mostly because (A) all contests want original creative work, and (B) this is a video help/tech site, so technical quality/precision is kind of a no-brainer.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I participated in the 48 hour film competition last year and again this year. You have 48 hours to make a 7 minute film. You pick the genre out of a hat and everyone is told a character name, line of dialogue and prop that must be used in the film. (That way no one can start early).

It's a lot of fun. Last year we made it into the "Best Of" screening which means our film was one of the top 1/4 in Atlanta. It was incredible to sit in the audience at the screening. I co-edited the film and the audience actually laughed at my edits (which was intended, it was an intentionally bad film within a film).

I think this site could do something similar where there is a time limit involved.

A completely different idea would be that everyone is given the same footage to work with and has to edit togethor the best movie.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Personally, I do not prefer divX as the final medium. I much
    prefer MPEG-2 ..but your decision was probably based on Size;
    and Length; to maximize the two for the contest.
    Ditto.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by presto
    A completely different idea would be that everyone is given the same footage to work with and has to edit togethor the best movie.
    That would be interesting. Especially if you limited it to a predetermined list of public domain music/sound effects. And more importantly an agreed upon software suite would have to be determined. Some would have access to software costing thousands while others only have freeware.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BUMP!

So is there any decision on this???
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    And more importantly an agreed upon software suite would have to be determined. Some would have access to software costing thousands while others only have freeware.
    While creating a level playing field, I very much doubt if this will be practical - imagine how many people may wish to enter who don't want to be downloading new software coz they haven't got the prescribed suite. Especially if it was anything other than freeware.

A better approach would be to allow any software, and have the contestant declare what they've used so the judges can take this into account and see what's been achieved with what software. I'd put money on some people having a better entry using limited tools, compared to someone who used top-end stuff.

Oh, and yes, any decision?
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daamon
    A better approach would be to allow any software, and have the contestant declare what they've used
    Sounds good. Maybe have different categories - beginner, intermediate, expert, etc.....

Originally Posted by daamon
    Oh, and yes, any decision?
    Ditto! So?????
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm down with the sickness
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would be interested in this as well. Any word on if this is gonna be a go or not?
    If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
    Quote Quote  
  28. I might depending on the topic and once there's more info about this, I could give a more concrete answer. Sounds interesting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We're almost done working out the details. It'll be announced soon enogh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    We're almost done working out the details. It'll be announced soon enogh.
    Cool thanks for the update
    Quote Quote