VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a bunch of .mpg files that I've ripped directly from DVD's. I'm planning on batch-converting them all to DivX.... but.... I want to normalize their audio first.

If I can't find some Windows-based batch solution, I'll have to write some shell script in Linux for it... but I need to know what tools would be best to:

- Demux the .mpg file to video and audio
    - Normalize the audio stream (as it came out of the .mpg file, or will I need to transcode it to AIFF, WAV, MP3, etc?) and then output it into a format which won't freak out the DivX6 encoder (or cause audio-sync problems) when it sees it muxed with the video.
    - Remux the audio and video together (making use of any audio/video offset info generated by the demuxer).

Any suggestions?

- Joe
    Quote Quote  
  2. For a windows app you can use demux - it works quite well and is a commandline tool
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I belive that the latest version of Avidemux will do all of that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by courtrrb
    I belive that the latest version of Avidemux will do all of that.
    I've had some problems with Avidemux, it seems kind of buggy. Maybe that was just on my install though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I use Mandriva and Avidemux is supplied it loads and runs fine. I havn't found any bugs with the videos I'm working on.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by courtrrb
    Well I use Mandriva and Avidemux is supplied it loads and runs fine. I havn't found any bugs with the videos I'm working on.
    What types have you tried outputting to?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD and SVCD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jemenake
    I've got a bunch of .mpg files that I've ripped directly from DVD's. I'm planning on batch-converting them all to DivX.... but.... I want to normalize their audio first.

If I can't find some Windows-based batch solution, I'll have to write some shell script in Linux for it... but I need to know what tools would be best to:

- Demux the .mpg file to video and audio
    - Normalize the audio stream (as it came out of the .mpg file, or will I need to transcode it to AIFF, WAV, MP3, etc?) and then output it into a format which won't freak out the DivX6 encoder (or cause audio-sync problems) when it sees it muxed with the video.
    - Remux the audio and video together (making use of any audio/video offset info generated by the demuxer).

Any suggestions?
    For the demux and remux, you could try the command lines documented in this URL: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers/308

While in the middle of the above, with the audio stripped out to an ac3 format, its possible you could try linux "normalize" program:
    http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~cvaill/normalize/

I've never used it myself, so I would be curious to read how you succeed, if you decide to try it.
    Quote Quote