VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hey major, how is the development of ffmpegX doing? When do you estimate it to be releasable?

Thank you,
    Dale
    Quote Quote  
  2. Version 1.0.0 is progressing well. Version 0.0.9t is almost done (1 week?).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will the "t" version support .tivo files by chance???
    Quote Quote  
  4. .tivo files can't be supported because they have DRM and breaking DRM is illegal in most countries.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is DRM?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Encryption, or "Digital Rights Management".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Fair Play? j/k
    Looking forward to using ffmpegX 0.0.9t next week. Thanks!

Dale
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by major
    Version 1.0.0 is progressing well. Version 0.0.9t is almost done (1 week?).
    Is batch encoding going to be supported? Like if I have a folder full of files all of the same size/format and I want to simply convert them all the something else?

cheers,
    Paul
    Quote Quote  
  9. Batch encoding will be supported in 1.0.0.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just to clarify, 0.0.9t will be released this week, and will have the ability to encode to H.264 MOV format?
    Quote Quote  
  11. H.264 encoding in 0.0.9t will be like in 0.0.9s.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The problem is that 0.0.9s wraps H.264 in an AVI container, which is unreadable by QuickTime.

Since both ffmpegX and Handbrake use the x264 encoder, what technical limitations are preventing you from writing H.264 video data in a MOV container?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The ffmpeg mov/mp4 muxer doesn't currently work for h264.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Major, is there a feature suggestion thread anywhere for 1.0.0? I mentioned it to you a while ago, but some kind of log-saving ability would be fantastic (so it saves ALL the logs from all conversions ever done, something like Safari's history)
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm logging your logging suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  16. New estimate for release of version t (the infamous version t) ?
    Sorry to push but I'm really looking forward to reusing ffmpegX when the progress bar gui bug is fixed.

Thank you,
    Dale
    Quote Quote  
  17. Face it, it will be done when it's done I know, I'm waiting anxiously myself, but we can't rush what's out of our control without developing something similar on our own. Not a bad idea come to think of it. Regardless, in the mean time Major's working on it and we've got to be patient

And and aye, the progress window glitches are crazy eh? Be glad when they work right myself. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by major
    The ffmpeg mov/mp4 muxer doesn't currently work for h264.
    Terrible, so we won't be able to create H.264 MOV sequences ?
    The only new feature I was waiting for
    Quote Quote  
  19. 0.0.9t release is just a few days ahead. I'm working on the localizations. About H.264, you can use Quicktime to create H.264 MOV/MP4, but ffmpeg will be also able to handle that in due time (when the muxer will be fixed).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you. If you need any help with the localisations, I'm half Italian, and speak fluent French. That is, if you need a hand.

Dale
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for your kind offer, for now I don't need further help on them.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Major ! Just, i want to know if the new ffmpegx version will improve speed of xvid conversion. Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  23. Not really. I'm just including the XviD codec as it is and it seem to be almost the same as it was.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by major
    0.0.9t release is just a few days ahead. I'm working on the localizations. About H.264, you can use Quicktime to create H.264 MOV/MP4, but ffmpeg will be also able to handle that in due time (when the muxer will be fixed).
    Right that's what I'm doing but it takes so longgggggggg
    I was expected a speed improvement with ffmpegX.

I'm already waiting for the next ffmpegX release to support H.264
    Quote Quote  
  25. When the muxer is done for h.264 - will there be an option to format video using h.264 for PSP?

And about the Tivo question - would there be any future option to allow plug-ins in the application? I can't imagine getting into trouble watching my own Tivo files on my PSP. I pay for cable, Tivo, and the PSP. I don't want to cross the line, but I can't find the crime in watching my stuff on the device of my choice. (I know by definition it technically is a no-no; I don't need DRM laws explained to me.)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes, the goal is to support h.264 for PSP as well. About TiVo, you should write to TiVo and ask them why they don't make a Mac version of their software.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I could have sworn I saw a message from major here last night that said he just solved the H.264/MOV issues, and that H.264/MOV encoding would be included in 0.0.9t.

Now I don't see it -- was it deleted, or was I dreaming?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I wanted to make a surprise! Well, yes I'm finally adding Quicktime 7-compliant H.264/MP4 (not MOV!) to 0.0.9t. This will take a couple more days. I don't know if PSP H.264 will be also included in this version, as the format seem to be a little different.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Excellent news.

Thank you,
    Dale
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greaaaaaat !
    Thank you major.
    In fact, QuickTime 7-compliant H.264/MP4 is all I need
    Quote Quote