VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A lot of people here say the Digital R3 filter should not be used, as it can add artifacts. The Digital R3 is artificial Edge Enhancement, correct? Anyway, here are some ADVC-300 DV caps showing a difference with it on and off, using Edit and Auto DNR modes. It's best if you download each picture, and flip through them, in an image editor to see the results.

I kind of like Auto mode, as it tends to smooth out neighboring pixels that look like noise or static. Digital R3 tends to sharpen a bit, but it's not overdone like some people tend to say here. What does everyone think about Digital R3 in combination with Auto or Edit DNR?

Auto - Digital R3 OFF

Auto - Digital R3 ON

EDIT - Digital R3 OFF

EDIT - Digital R3 ON
    Quote Quote  
  2. Auto - Digital R3 OFF

Auto - Digital R3 ON

EDIT - Digital R3 OFF

EDIT - Digital R3 ON
    Quote Quote  
  3. Auto - Digital R3 OFF

Auto - Digital R3 ON

EDIT - Digital R3 OFF

EDIT - Digital R3 ON
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Digital R3 ON clearly produces a sharper image, but it does not provide additional picture detail. For a given bitrate, sharper images will tend to produce more motion artifacts. The softer images might therefore prove to be more desireable when watching in real time. The best compromise might be to encode the softer images and then crank up the sharpness on the monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would agree with that assessment. I leave it off most of the time.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote