VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've had my burner for quite a while now and have successfully burned hundreds of DVD's, but I've never really done much with the rewritable discs (I just don't really have that much of a need for them).

A few months ago, my boss asked me if I could burn several cd's of data to DVD for him. I agreed and the next day he gave me the cd's and 2 Sony DVD+RW discs (brand new, still shrink wrapped). I copied all the cd data to my HD and then burned to his DVD+RW's with no problem (using nero). Quick and easy, no fuss no muss.

Recently my mother bought me some blank DVD's for my birthday. Not really knowing much about this stuff, she picked up some Memorex DVD+RW's.
    Every time I try to burn to one of these discs it tells me that the media needs to be formatted first and then proceeds to take FOREVER to 'format' the blank disc.
    It doesn't matter what I'm trying to burn (data, music, DVD back-up) and it doesn't matter what program I try to use (Alcohol 120%, nero, DVD Decrypter), this happens every time.

Why didn't I have to format the Sony DVD+RW's that my boss gave me?
    Why do I have to format these Memorex +RW's?
    Do you normally have to "format" an RW disc before burning to it?

TIA!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. You've probably installed Nero's InCD software (or something similar). This allows you to use a DVD+RW just like a giant floppy disk. But the disks need to be formatted first.

Just answer no when InCD asks if you want to format. Or, start Nero, set up your project, and press Burn. When Nero asks for a disc put the DVD+RW in the drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried saying "no" with all three burning programs and they just terminate the job at that point and tell me to insert a blank disc...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote