VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im going to Europe in august and i need a DVD player. I need to buy one that supports both PAL and NTSC and is compatible with the volatage as well. Im not sure where to begin. i was thinking about getting a portable, although i dont know if theres such a thing as a portable PAL/NTSC DVD player that works in Europe. If i can't buy it here, does anyone know a brand that i can purchase in Europe that can play NTSC? I plan on bringing some DVDs from here. I would really appreciate any help. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. The voltage in Europe is generally 220-250 volts so you're probably better off buying one there. The philips dvp630 is the european equivalent of the philips 642. It plays both NTSC and PAL and also you can change the region settings so it will play DVDs from any region.

Where are you going? Amazon has sites in England, France, and Germany and I believe they sell this model.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    going to Portugal. Is that phillips model any good
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, the Philips DVP630 is a pretty good player. As giannid said, is both pal & ntsc compatible and will play DivX & XviD files etc. Your best bet though maybe to contact the electrical stores in the airport you are flying from to see what models they stock - you may be able to get the player you want duty free

- e404pnf

BTW: pretty much everything that can be bought inside the US can be bought outside it Why not just buy things in Portugal when you get there?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You don't have to get just a Phillips, almost every DVD player sold in Europe has the ability to play NTSC and PAL DVD's. As players can be purchased for about £30/45 Euro's/$55 over here it's probably quite economical to buy when you arrive.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ALL European DVD players will play both PAL and NTSC. Europe is Region 2 and uses PAL, Japan is also Region 2 but uses NTSC, so anything for the Region 2 market will play both. Just make sure you buy one that is multi-Region capable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I dunno about portugal but here in the UK almost every store will sell a DVD player for £20-£25 and most of the time they are multi-region PAL/NTSC out of the box.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    buy a "CODE-FREE, Region-FREE" dvd player from various stores on the net.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is some model Philips sells in Europe that is just like the DVP-642 in America but it also decodes DTS and plays SACD (Super Audio CD). I don't remember the model number. I don't recommend buying a player in the US. There are some that will work with dual voltage, but you'll have to put a plug adapter on them, which is a pain. Just get a player over there and avoid having to buy a plug adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I think the best bet is to buy it there. I will be bringing a bunch of DVD's from here so hopefully everything works out. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by silverbullet99
    Thanks everyone. I think the best bet is to buy it there. I will be bringing a bunch of DVD's from here so hopefully everything works out. Thanks again
    Wise decision, because you have to check cables and plugs too. In EU SCART is the best analog way to connect DVD and TV set. DO you know, which TV you'll use?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no idea about which TV i will be using. i might purchase a new one too.
    also, would i get in trouble for bringing backups? I want to bring the original DVDs but im afraid i will lose them. Im also worried that if i bring backups that they will not be compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ......SCART is better than component?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by silverbullet99
    ......SCART is better than component?
    No, but the best you can get (component is not well spreaded in EU).
    I have never seen a TV set with component input in EU. That's why I asked, which TV set you'll use.
    Regarding backups: As long, as you don't buy a HighEnd DVD player, you'll be lucky. They cheaper the players are, the best they are on playing DVD-Rs.
    Are you removing to Portugal?If not, take care of the customs. Backups are better anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SCART can be component! SCART is simply a 21 pin connector that contains Composite, S-Video and Component (Pins 5, 11 and 15 if I remember right) as well as Stereo Audio. Only the required pins are used so if you have a cheap mono VCR all that will be used is one audio channel and the Composite video In and Out. If you have something that outputs Stereo audio and Component video, most of them will be used. The only thing it can't deal with is 5.1 audio as the SCART standard came about long before surround sound.

One thick cable with a big connector on either end makes connections far easier and a lot neater than loads of cables and sockets.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If RGB and component are the same, then SCART has component. But I'm afraid, that 'real' component has more to deliver.
    Quote Quote