VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by compuser
    Looks awesome can't wait to see it.
    Thanks for the kind words man! We work real har don it!

2. Originally Posted by compuser
    Thanks!!!!!

3. Originally Posted by compuser
    Thanks man!!

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alex and Jorge,

I applaud what you've done. I'm just annoyed that I didn't think of doing it first!

Good to see some fellow filmmakers going the digital route. Check out my 85-minute digital feature, "Scratched," shot on a Panasonic MX500 and edited on Premiere for $3,000 Australian: www.travisbain.com.au/scratched.htm

Keep the passion, lads.

Search Comp PM
    @ BROKEN2005: Well, I received the eagerly awaited DVD recently and popped it straight into the DVD player...

...and wasn't disappointed. Excellent job, especially given the constraints you had. I really enjoyed it - an enticing plot, and professionally shot. It'll be interesting to see the full length version.

It's encouraging to know what can be achieved with a decent DV cam, the right software, skill and imagination. I'm gonna have to work on some things in that list!

All that remains is to bury myself in the 3 hours of extras covering "the making of" - with a view to learning a whole bunch of new tips and tricks, as well as ideas and "how to's"...

And it's on that subject that I have a favour to ask you experienced guys (including you, Chaoji3791, having checked out your site), unofficially on behalf of all users at VideoHelp:

Would you be able to spend some time in the forums browsing what ever catches your eye, helping and responding with your knowledge and experience?

There are already a number of experts in the forums, but having a couple more can only be good.

You'll find that the people here are friendly and passionate about video. Sure, there's a few who just want to "backup" DVDs, but the majority are keen enthusiasts in all sorts of video-related fields.

Cheers.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Happy to be of assistance when time permits.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chaoji3791
    Happy to be of assistance when time permits.
    Good man - Another "down under" resident joins the ranks... There's not many of us (yes, I know, I'm a Pom - but I'm still "down under").
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I learned so much from making my little $3,000 digital feature that I'm thinking about writing a "how-to" book for all you would-be Rodriguezs out there. Yeah, I know, there are already loads of "how to make a guerilla feature" books out there, but believe me, speaking as someone who's "been there, done that," there's a hell of a lot of stuff they DON'T cover.

Expressions of interest?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chaoji3791
    Expressions of interest?
    I'm sure if it was the right price, suitably pitched with usable content, and it's existence made known then there'd be interest. In principal, "yes".

I'm sure even people who just shoot home movies (holidays, the kids etc.) could benefit, as well as those who "dabble" at a higher level by doing weddings for friends etc.

Carpe diem.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, yes, I mean, the home videographer would certainly benefit from the kind of book I'm proposing, but it would mainly be aimed at the booming number of digital filmmakers out there who dream of being the next Chris Kentis or winning Tropfest. (So, for example, the book would feature chapters on casting and costuming and makeup as well as just the usual kind of tech stuff on 1CCD vs 3CCD cameras etc.) I view my proposed book as kind of a digital filmmaking companion to the seminal "Rebel Without a Crew," which I personally have read about 30 times (and it never fails to get me fired up).

11. Hey Guys,

We just got back from the Toronto Film Festival and we met World Famous Film Critic Roger Ebert from the Chicago Sun-Times. He did a review of BROKEN on his site (we are still trying to revive Jorge ; )

--------------

A festival like Toronto attracts hopeful filmmakers eager to pitch projects and find financing. Here, for example, are Alex Ferrari and Jorge Rodriguez, the director and producer of “Broken,” a 19-minute, $8,000 horror film containing, by their count, more than 100 visual effects.

“We’re here to talk about a development deal for a feature based on the short,” Rodriguez tells me, before the screening of “Twelve and Holding.” “Who you talking to?” I ask. “We’d better not say,” Ferrari says.

He gives me a DVD of their short: “We’ve already sold 1,000 copies online. It contains six commentary tracks and like three hours of information on how to shoot low-budget digital films and how to do the special effects. It’s like a training course.” They refer me to their web site, www.whatisbroken.com, and back at the hotel I view the film and visit the site.

The film is effective and professional and the ominous sound track works with the images to create the desired effect. Whether the plot quite rises above the level of “it was only a dream” I am not prepared to say. Whether the short will someday grow into a good film we will know only if the development deal goes through.

But that’s not really the point. The point is that gifted and ambitious young filmmakers can, with very little money, use the new digital technology to make a presentation that gets attention from industry pros. Kerry Conran’s “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow” (2004) was floated the same way, with a home-made demo made on his Mac. Whether this is better than the old-fashioned method of submitting a screenplay is a good question; “Broken” is essentially a demonstration of the mastery of horror imagery and techniques. A screenplay has to also have dimensional characters (one, two or three dimensions, depending on its ambition) and a story. In an industry so impenetrable for newcomers, any way you break in is the right way. Then it depends on what you do. Looking forward to “Broken: The Feature.”

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps.../509150301/1023
    ------------------

We are truly amazed! We were sooooooo excited that we had to share the news. Thanks again for all the support from everyone!! Good Luck with all your projects.
    http://www.alexferrari.com

Search Comp PM
    Great news guys - well done!

Originally Posted by BROKEN2005
    Thanks again for all the support from everyone!
    Taken from my post above (here):
    Originally Posted by daamon
    And it's on that subject that I have a favour to ask you experienced guys, unofficially on behalf of all users at VideoHelp:

Would you be able to spend some time in the forums browsing what ever catches your eye, helping and responding with your knowledge and experience?

There are already a number of experts in the forums, but having a couple more can only be good.

You'll find that the people here are friendly and passionate about video. Sure, there's a few who just want to "backup" DVDs, but the majority are keen enthusiasts in all sorts of video-related fields.

Cheers.
    What d'ya say guys? How about joining the gang and putting some time into the forums in appreciation of the support you've gotten from people here?

To have access to people like you, with your knowledge and experience, would be a great addition to the site.

Carpe diem.

13. Originally Posted by daamon
    Great news guys - well done!

Originally Posted by BROKEN2005
    Thanks again for all the support from everyone!
    Taken from my post above (here):
    Originally Posted by daamon
    And it's on that subject that I have a favour to ask you experienced guys, unofficially on behalf of all users at VideoHelp:

Cheers.
    What d'ya say guys? How about joining the gang and putting some time into the forums in appreciation of the support you've gotten from people here?

To have access to people like you, with your knowledge and experience, would be a great addition to the site.
    U got it! Ask away here and we will also start to roam a bit more. Thanks for the kind word!

Search Comp PM
    This is not an indy film promo site. That's cool that you made a film, I wish you much success, but all you've done so far is promote your film. That's not the goal of this site.

If you want to help others here learn some techniques, using your films as examples, that would be awesome. Consider showing your work off in that manner while here.

Consider this an informal warning. Things like this would normally be considered spam and banned on site. But I believe you would be an asset to have around.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS