VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to burn a xvid file and a .srt file together with nero? If not what program do you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

Is it possible to burn a xvid file and a .srt file together with nero?

Yes, I do it all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how? everytime i drag and drop them into nero vision only the xvid file is recognized.
    Quote Quote  
  4. When I open Nero, I hit "New" under "New Compilation". Make sure it's set for "CD-ROM (ISO)". Then I drag to the left side whatever I want.

I don't know what Nero Vision is. Mine has Nero Express, but I don't use that. Mine says "Nero Burning ROM 6".This is using Nero 6.0.0.0.11. Maybe it's old, I don't know, but it works. You're probably using the wrong screen. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i'm on the same page, but last question! J/k can i burn this compilation onto a dvd and then play it in a standalone dvd player?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the xvid file is 704.77mb will it fit?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do you usually burn it onto? cd, dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, you can burn it to a DVDR as easily as to a CDR. Whether or not your standalone can play it depends on if it's a DVD/MPEG-4 player or not. If not, then no, and if you want to play it, you'll have to convert it to a format it can play, which may include VCD, SVCD, as well as DVD.

I don't know if you can burn a 704 MB file to CDR. I haven't had much luck overburning much more than 702 MB. Plenty of people around here say you can. Maybe it depends on the burner and the medium. I burn my AVIs to CDR.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i burned the iso, but its still an iso file will play on my portable as an iso file but not anything else! do i need to change my settings?
    Quote Quote  
  10. What's the file extension on this thing? If it's not .avi, but .iso or .img or some such, then you have to extract it first, before burning.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no it's a xvid file that came with a .srt file and i was trying to burn them together. into a dvd-r
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK, so when you look in the DVDR, it says Movie.avi, I guess. What threw me was that you said it's still an ISO. So it plays OK in your computer and your portable (meaning what? A laptop computer?), but not in your standalone DVD player? That's to be expected, as most DVD players don't play AVI. Are the subs playing OK also? You made sure that both the subs and the movie have the same name (Movie.avi and Movie.srt, for example)? Some software players have their own subtitle engine to play SRT subs, and for others you'll have to install VobSub so that DirectVobSub can display them.

To confirm that your standalone can't play MPEG-4 (XviD, DivX), check the DVD players database at this site:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am able to play it on my initial protable dvd player! what i was referring to was under which catagory to burn it in after i burn it, it becomes a avi file like you said, but Is it possiable to burn the divx and .srt as a dvd movie that is playable on standalone players?
    Quote Quote  
  14. No, you'll have to reencode the AVI to MPEG-2, reencode the audio (if it's MP3 now), convert the SRT subs into an acceptable DVD subtitle format, and then Author it, perhaps with a homemade menu. There are plenty of guides on this site that detail the software needed and the steps necessary.

Either that or buy a DVD/MPEG-4 player.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool thats just what i wanted to hear! thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by manono
    No, you'll have to reencode the AVI to MPEG-2, reencode the audio (if it's MP3 now), convert the SRT subs into an acceptable DVD subtitle format, and then Author it, perhaps with a homemade menu. There are plenty of guides on this site that detail the software needed and the steps necessary.

Either that or buy a DVD/MPEG-4 player.
    I have a standalone dvd player which can also play divx(.avi) format. So i think i don't have to reencode divx film and its (.srt format) subtitle. How should i burn the subtitle? I tried to burn divx file and srt file together as a normal data disk to dvd-r. But when i loaded it on the dvd player i could only see divx file..
    Quote Quote  
  17. You didn't provide much information about your player. Does it support SRT subtitles? If so, you should be good to go. I don't know for sure if the subs have to have the same name as the AVI, as they do for computer playback, but it's probably a good idea (Movie.avi and Movie.srt). To get the subs to show up, you usually have to hit the Subtitle button on the remote control. That's how it is with mine. The subs don't show up on the menu screen, the way the AVI does. I start the movie and then hit the Subtitle button on the remote control. Maybe different players do it differently.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono
    You didn't provide much information about your player. Does it support SRT subtitles? If so, you should be good to go. I don't know for sure if the subs have to have the same name as the AVI, as they do for computer playback, but it's probably a good idea (Movie.avi and Movie.srt). To get the subs to show up, you usually have to hit the Subtitle button on the remote control. That's how it is with mine. The subs don't show up on the menu screen, the way the AVI does. I start the movie and then hit the Subtitle button on the remote control. Maybe different players do it differently.
    Well i don't know if my player support .srt files or not. But the name of the movies and subtitles are exactly the same. I tried to hit the subtitle button when the movie began but it didn't work. So may be my player doesn't support .srt files . I didn't know that there are some players which supports .srt and the others which not.. Is it possible to change .avi to dvd without changing quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any recoding will cause quality loss. The amount of loss depends on the method you choose. Use the guides here to choose a conversion which will give accecptable results. You can try many if you split off a small clip of your file and do trial conversions with diffrent methods to find one which works best for you. You will find many diffrent methods and some may yield better results for you than others.
    "Quit Playing With The Clock..."

Rudy - Funhouse pinball game
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yeah, craiggus365 is right. If your player doesn't support external subtitles of any kind (you might check the DVD Player database on this site to see what others have to say about your player), then your only choice is to reencode, to either AVI with the subs "burned in", or to DVD format, with selectable subs. Either way means at least some loss of quality. The quality loss may or may not be noticeable, depending on how good a job you do reencoding, and maybe how good your display is.
    Quote Quote