VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you still buy cd's???

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ay vai adamo
    For all we (consumers) care - the labels can charge even $100 per CD if they want. That doesnt mean we will buy their product. I thought we are not discussing the prices (which they are free to set as high or low as they please), but the fact that the label companies - through their outdated (or not), certainly *not functioning anymore* business model are not making enough money as they wish, and they blame it on the consumers!
    The point of this whole discussion should be about US, consumers, not the corporations!
    Do we care if some small GM supplier is closing down because they lost in the competition with some other company? Ofcourse we don't, and I don't see any laws being created out of the sudden to protect them from going belly up.
    Yet in the case of music industry I see everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - from supposedly 'indepedent' creatures as RIAA, through Senate and corrupted senators, up to the State and Federal Governments and their services such as FBI - all of them being used or at least involved in 'protection' of their business... Hello! Shouldn't they protect ARTISTS, NOT THE LABELS?!

Do you really believe you have ANY radiostation that is still independant from music industry tycoons left in your city? Believe me - except for few low-power student stations you won't find even ONE in the entire US of A. How do I know it? Because since 1999 or 2000 you won't find single independent radiostation in any part of Canada, and we have way strict laws than most of the States does.
    Ofcourse they don't belong directly to any labels; i.e. one my old favorite stations belong to Murdoch's empire since 98 or 99; but you won't find any of his corporations being direct owners ofcourse; but its not a big problem to figure out which companies own what companies that own company who owns... its just time consuming process

And adam - if you really believe in what media tell you (about the costs of CDs in example) then i swear i won't discuss anything ever again with you
    If $20,000.00 toilet seats haven't taught you anything then I have no more comments
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NiteLite: I'm guessing you've never heard of Sarbanes Oxley. I'm not trying to dismiss your viewpoint or anything but you just have no idea how wide open a corporation's bookkeeping is today...BECAUSE of Enron.

Anyway these stats are just published up and down by so many different sources and compiled by independant marketing firms and such. They can't just be dissmissed. Well...they can, and they are but I think that just ignores the real problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    I thought we are not discussing the prices (which they are free to set as high or low as they please), but the fact that the label companies - through their outdated (or not), certainly *not functioning anymore* business model are not making enough money as they wish, and they blame it on the consumers!
    Actually I'm pretty sure the point of the thread was to ascertain how many people still buy CDs and why or why not. For some like myself its the lack of quality that stops me from buying, for others its the price, and for others its spite for the RIAA and studio model of marketing/distribution, which is a shame since it mostly just hurts the artists.

Regardless, I still can't figure out what you are trying to say. Saying that radio stations should be completely independant from music labels is like saying grocers should be independant from farmers. Radio stations don't make their money off of labels so I don't even know where there'd be room for collusion. About all I can make out is that you like to put a lot of smilies in your posts and you don't like the RIAA so as far as I'm concerned we are in agreement.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but older music mostly. I like 80's...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    wow
    Resurrectin old posts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do SACDs count?
    Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in 5.1 is astounding!
    So is Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms"...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davideck
    Do SACDs count?
    Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in 5.1 is astounding!
    So is Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms"...
    I would consider that a HYBRID but yes it counts
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Not many but once in a while a good one comes along
    Quote Quote