VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i tried playing a high resolution (960x528) xvid and it wouldn't work (i thought it plays all xvids?). anyone else have/had this problem? if the resolution is too big for the player, can you tell me a good way (fast and keep good quality) to reencode it to 624x352 res? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    reencode with autogk, latest beta supports xvid input.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All chipsets of that generation support 720x576 max and that is not the only thing that limits XviD playback. The player doesn't support all containers that XviD can be stored in. Doesn't support qpel or gmc and will have issues if the encode has too high a bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think the max resolution for xvid is 640 and for divx it's 720.

You can use virtualdub to resize the video which involves re-encoding the video. It's not the easiest thing to do for a beginner, but it's actually quite easy after you learn how. Perhaps you can find a guide for it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    XviD can go way higher than 640. It fully supports HD resolutions. If you meant hardware playback then the restraints are of course the same for both.

I wouldn't recommend VDub for resizing since it means a RGB24 colourspace conversion which means slower encoding times and lower quality output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, I meant for playback on the dvp642, I thought that 640 was the max. for xvid. I think at least 720 is the maximum specs for divx certified in any case. Has anyone successfully played xvid files with 720 or higher?

Also, what is a good alternative to Virtualdub for resizing or re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    autogk....my posts seems to be hidden...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by giannid
    Yeah, I meant for playback on the dvp642, I thought that 640 was the max. for xvid. I think at least 720 is the maximum specs for divx certified in any case. Has anyone successfully played xvid files with 720 or higher?

Also, what is a good alternative to Virtualdub for resizing or re-encoding?
    There is no advantage in going above 720. Will not play it anyway!!

I have encoded Xvid & DivX at 720 and it played back fine on a Yamada 6600 .. so I guess the philips should play it too.

Encoding... I use GordianKnot (Not the auto version)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, Celtic Druid said that Virtualdub was not good for recoding or resizing because of rgb24 conversion, and you guys said autogk and gk. I know autogk uses virtualdub mod.

Is there a difference in the encoding between virtualdub and virtualdub mod?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't say not to use it for encoding, just not for resizing. VirtualDubMod can use YV12 in fast recompress as can newer versions of VDub. Older versions can only do YUY2.
    AutoGK uses AVISynth for resizing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. One thing to consider with Xvid using AutoGK on the 642 with widescreen sources (in particular, episodic stuff like Sopranos, 24, etc, since I don't create Xvids of full movies). You will find that if you leave the resolution set to "auto" and the resulting file yields a res above 624 that your entire TV screen will be filled with the picture (i.e., no black bars at the top and bottom). On a computer it still has the proper aspect ratio, however.

I've never seen an explanation for this, but I've run batch modes for multiple episodes of a show, and provided AutoGK spits out a 624 or less res file everything looks fine on the Philips. If it chooses 640 as the res you will have very narrow bars at the top and bottom of your screen (though narrower than the source video), but if it goes with anything higher than 640 your resulting file will look exactly as if it came from a 4:3 source, not 16:9. This can be very irritating when you're trying to back up, say, 13 eps of Sopranos onto one dvd and you end up with three of them looking as if they were 4:3. I get around it by choosing Max Res 624 for these 16:9 sources.
    Quote Quote