VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    New! If this looks like much work try instead AutoGK, see https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=316471

Guide
    Download and install/extract Virtualdubmod.
    If you don't have the subtitles create your own text subtitles with SubtitleWorkshop or Substation Alpha and then continue with this guide to add them permanent to the video.

Download Vobsub 2.23.
    When you install VobSub be sure to select VobSub for Virtualdub and TextSub for Virtualdub and AviSynth under Plugins:

Set the Virtualdubmod folder:

In Virtualdubmod open your video. (If a message popups that VBR audio stream detected just select NO)
    Add the TextSub filter under Video->Filters.
    Open the srt, sub(text), smi, ssa subtitle.
    (If you have an idx/sub/ifo subtitle add the VobSub filter intead.)

Set Video->Full Processing.
    Set Video->Compression and select Divx or Xvid. Install DivX Codec or XviD Codec if you can't see the in the compression list.

And last save as a new AVI, File->Save AVI.
    (If you want to convert directly to a VCD, SVCD or DVD MPEG2 frameserve to an mpeg encoder, read this guide.)

Problems
    I can't install Vobsub. Vobsub wont work.
    Try use latest VSFilter instead. Install it and then copy the VSFilter.dll to the plugins folder under the Virtualdubmod folder and rename it to VSFilter.vdf. Like c:\program files\virtualdubmod\plugins\VSFilter.vdf

VBR audio stream detected
    Just select NO.

Can't see any DivX or XviD in the compression list
    Install the DivX Codec or Xvid Codec.

Can't open the video
    Identify the video codec with Gspot or avicodec. Then download and install that codec, usually DivX Codec or XviD Codec or try ffdshow(and enable VFW decoding)

The source image format is not acceptable (error code -2). Or other problems.
    Read http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=6608&

More subtitle and virtualdub links
    https://www.videohelp.com/sefy/?id=textsub.html
    https://www.videohelp.com/sefy/?id=frameserv3.html
    https://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubedit
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/virtualdub_procedures.htm

If this looks like much work try instead AutoGK, see https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=316471
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks for your tips. I have come to the final step of saving the .avi, and i am getting the following error:

video compression error: The source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2).

Any ideas what this means?

Cheers

Mick
    Quote Quote  
  3. no dramas, i have fixed all my problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey all,

I have encoded my movie, and it has all worked fine. Problem is the subtitles have not come out at all properly. They are coming out as rectangles. I dont believe the .ass file i received is any good. Here is the contents of the file (this is not the whole file, but does show the top, as well as the start of the dialogue). When i tried to copy the text into this message, the text was in japanese. Does this mean the subtitles are possibly in japanese???

http://www.joeysfc.com/images/screen1.JPG

edit: too big image...try reduce the width..you are messing up my guide. /Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must probably select a japanese font under Styles to be able to add them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, I got all the way up to adding subtext as a filter, but my filter box comes up empty. When I hit add filter, I don't see a tab for adding subtitles. Did I load the wrong version of subrip or subvob?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nix that guys, I figured it out. Works great! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that's great and works with me. Thanks. But one more question: my avi is already compressed (XVID) so how can I merge it with srt without downgrading its quality during the recompression process?

How can I config divX or/and Xvid to achieve such objective?

(using the default value of divx results in crab)

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't. Hard encoding subs means re-encoding and both XviD and DivX are lossy codecs so you are going to loose quality everytime that you re-compress.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing

It is possible to add black part to the bottom (top) part of the movie so that the subtitle will not cover the movie itself?. I reconk there's a way there which I don't know as you can crop it off then you can put it back in. Pls tell me how .
    Quote Quote  
  11. qknet, you can add borders with avisynth and reposition your sub text lower.

I agree with celtic_druid (seperate streams for me please!).
    Quality is my policy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't. Hard encoding subs means re-encoding and both XviD and DivX are lossy codecs so you are going to loose quality everytime that you re-compress
    You are right. But how to minimize the downgrading? Which setting should be selected in DivX or Xvid?

Actually, what I am getting at is showing my avi in my DVD player that support DivX and Xvid. the player can load srt but the font size is too small and it fails to display vietnamese (unlike vobsub huh?). So if you can advise me with another type of subtitle then i would highly appreciate it. Making permanent subtitle is the last resort.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vobsubs or xsubs.
    To minimise the quality loss encode at a low average quant, although that may push the bitrate too high for the player. It also means that the result will be larger than the source.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you can add borders with virtualdub...video->filters->resize and expand.

and please keep this topic about permanent subs. if you want make somethinge else make a new topic.
    Quote Quote  
  15. After running this through on a couple of movies, I find my audio gets out of sync in the dubbing process. Is there a way to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no problem following your guide but everytime I get to this part: Open the srt, sub(text), smi, ssa subtitle. I have no idea what to do. anything i open leads to a dead end. what exactly do you mean by this? Does it matter that i have an avi video file (downloaded from edonkey) and not a dvd video file? All i'm trying to do is get english subtitles for my japanese video file.
    Quote Quote  
  17. this is working fine for the most part, i have gotten it to work perfectly for putting subs back in some ogm files i converted to avi, but converted some mkvs as well, and when i put the subs back in, they don't synchronize with the video, there is a significant amount of lag between the video and when the subtitle appears. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

edit: on further analysis, the audio is synchronized with the subtitles, but both are lagging behind the video by a minute or more
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to edit hardsubs from an .srt file extracted from a .mkv container into a .avi taken from the same container. If I run Media Player Classic with both .srt and .avi files everything looks OK so I assume the raw files are not corrupt.

When I try and install VobSub2.23 it proceeds all the way through to the end but doesn't terminate properly. I have to go into W2K Task Manager and kill it explicitly. I don't know if this affects its operation or whether it's just an annoying bug and the installation has been completed successfully.

I use VirtualDubMod by preference and when I select the TextSub filter I get the appropriate options as shown on the howto. However when asked to select a subtitle file I choose the .srt file and click OK. The TextSub filter returns to the basic option screen where the [OK] button is greyed out. The text box that should hold the subtitle file name is blank. Nothing I can do seems to be able to get past this point.

Any ideas? Is there an earlier version of VobSub that maybe works?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is awesome! It helped put togethor a CC to sub project that I started 11 months ago. This with mpg2srt, the frameserve HOW-TO, and someone's VOBsub position recomendation put it all together.

I just wish I could remember which post taught me the VOBsub positioning trick.

Thanks a million guys!
    "EL EXTRANJERO ME SIENTO"
    ENRIQUE BUNBURY
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was Baldrick to the rescue again that lead me on the path to trying to position the subtitle at https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1288676#1288676
    "EL EXTRANJERO ME SIENTO"
    ENRIQUE BUNBURY
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by nojay
    I'm trying to edit hardsubs from an .srt file extracted from a .mkv container into a .avi taken from the same container. If I run Media Player Classic with both .srt and .avi files everything looks OK so I assume the raw files are not corrupt.

When I try and install VobSub2.23 it proceeds all the way through to the end but doesn't terminate properly. I have to go into W2K Task Manager and kill it explicitly. I don't know if this affects its operation or whether it's just an annoying bug and the installation has been completed successfully.

I use VirtualDubMod by preference and when I select the TextSub filter I get the appropriate options as shown on the howto. However when asked to select a subtitle file I choose the .srt file and click OK. The TextSub filter returns to the basic option screen where the [OK] button is greyed out. The text box that should hold the subtitle file name is blank. Nothing I can do seems to be able to get past this point.

Any ideas? Is there an earlier version of VobSub that maybe works?
    i had the same issue with the vobsub installer, but i use it in virtualdub and everything is fine, so i assume it is some sort of annoying glitch in the installer.

i attempted to use the textsub filter in virtualdubmod with no success, so i went back to virtualdub and everything worked fine, however i've had issues getting the audio and subs to align with the video properly in converted mkv's.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    V=It all went smoothly, but when I tried to play the video in one of my media players, the video had a small error and lagged greatly behind the audio.

So I tried it again..

Again, same spot at the start of the movie were it freezes for a bit, then is delayed.

Any ideas why it happened?

When I replay the new subtitled video in Vobsub - it worked fine, no delay in the video and didnt freeze.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by XDelusion
    Uuuuuummmmmmmm.

OK

I load up my video file, FINE.

I then goto Video/Filters.

And.... THERE IS NO WAY TO LOAD SRT FILES!

What gives?

did you specify the correct location of virtual dub when you install the text sub filter? and did you install the text sub plugin for virtual dub to begin with? it isn't checked by default, so this is really easy to do, i had to install vobsub twice because i missed that the first time
    Quote Quote  
  24. Turns out, I clicked on the box to set this up, but it didn't register with winblows apparently.

Re-installed, made damn sure the box was clicked and now all is well, thankx for the tutorial!
    Quote Quote  
  25. hello, great tutorial. I did have an error though. When i get my video into virtualdub and add in the .sub subtitles and playback, the titles either come way before they talk, or way after. it throws everything off. Is it a problem with the sub file? Or am i doing something wrong?

thanks!!
    Burn baby, BURN!!!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a problem with the subs. Were they in sync when you watched it?

Also I would suggest that people use VSFilter instead of VOBSub. VOBSub was replaced with VSFilter, VSRip, etc. some years ago and VSFilter contains newer versions of textsub/vobsub plugins for VDub, also for AVISynth which would be better anyway since it doesn't require a RGB24 colourspace conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Great post...
    Whenever I added forced subtitles to an AVI, I got sync problem between the audio and video. To solve this I now use the VirtualDubMod and since then I stopped having any sync problems.

Additional notes:
    Please make sure that when adding subtitles, under the Styles... option, you are setting the correct frame rate.
    I also noticed that when rencoding using the latest XviD, in the Calc option (XviD MPEG-4 codec-->Configure-->Calc), make sure again that you are selecting the correcting frame rate.

Enjoy
    Quote Quote  
  28. those tools seemed to sync up the subs with the talking, but now, action happens, then like 10 seconds later, I hear the sounds related to that action. I dunno what the problem is. I'm going to save out the video in the hope that it's my computer.

Any ideas what would cause this?
    Burn baby, BURN!!!
    Quote Quote  
  29. are you sure the original subtitles were synched with the audio? Try them out with something like BS Player or Subtitle Workshop itself... If the problem was with the source subtitles, then SW will allow you to easily synchronize.
    Quote Quote