VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are supposed to start a topic for your question instead of posting in a unrelated (as far as I can tell) sticky topic.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mkvextract does support vobsubs as I am pretty sure mencoder does.

I agree though, this thread is about hard encoding subs with VDubMod. You are asking about demuxing and using mencoder. Not at all that related.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nojay
    I'm trying to edit hardsubs from an .srt file extracted from a .mkv container into a .avi taken from the same container. If I run Media Player Classic with both .srt and .avi files everything looks OK so I assume the raw files are not corrupt.

When I try and install VobSub2.23 it proceeds all the way through to the end but doesn't terminate properly. I have to go into W2K Task Manager and kill it explicitly. I don't know if this affects its operation or whether it's just an annoying bug and the installation has been completed successfully.

I use VirtualDubMod by preference and when I select the TextSub filter I get the appropriate options as shown on the howto. However when asked to select a subtitle file I choose the .srt file and click OK. The TextSub filter returns to the basic option screen where the [OK] button is greyed out. The text box that should hold the subtitle file name is blank. Nothing I can do seems to be able to get past this point.

Any ideas? Is there an earlier version of VobSub that maybe works?
    I have the same problem. When i try to load the sub.srt, it wont show up in the grey box.

has any1 solved this yet?

help.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd start by updating textsub (vsfilter). Could be that there is something wrong with the subtitle file though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    Originally Posted by nojay
    I'm trying to edit hardsubs from an .srt file extracted from a .mkv container into a .avi taken from the same container. If I run Media Player Classic with both .srt and .avi files everything looks OK so I assume the raw files are not corrupt.

When I try and install VobSub2.23 it proceeds all the way through to the end but doesn't terminate properly. I have to go into W2K Task Manager and kill it explicitly. I don't know if this affects its operation or whether it's just an annoying bug and the installation has been completed successfully.

I use VirtualDubMod by preference and when I select the TextSub filter I get the appropriate options as shown on the howto. However when asked to select a subtitle file I choose the .srt file and click OK. The TextSub filter returns to the basic option screen where the [OK] button is greyed out. The text box that should hold the subtitle file name is blank. Nothing I can do seems to be able to get past this point.

Any ideas? Is there an earlier version of VobSub that maybe works?
    I have the same problem. When i try to load the sub.srt, it wont show up in the grey box.

has any1 solved this yet?

help.jpg
    I've had this issue as well, I never had it until i installed the latest version of the programs, I'm not sure whether virtualdub or vobsub is at fault, since they were upgraded at the same time. However, it only affects .srt files, if you are working with a source that has multiple sub streams, see if it has a .ssa or .ass sub stream that you can use, or find a way to convert the .srt to that format. This seems to be a somewhat sporadic problem, rebooting before you begin or using virtualdubmod instead of virtualdub (or viceversa) might help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chinkymoomoo
    Help!!!

I'm using VirtualDubMod to permanently add subtitles to my .avi file. But an error occurs when I try to save it as a new file. The error that pops up is:

Error decompressing video frame 0: An unknown error occurred (may be due to corrupt data). (error code -100)

Does anybody know a way that i can deal with this? Thanks so much for any help that i can get!!!
    I have the same.
    I noticed that it only concerns Xvid files.
    I've installed new codec but I didn't help.
    I use VIrtualDub-MPEG2 1.5.10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how can I convert a movie that has vbr in audio to cbr so I can use vobsub?
    because when I use virtual dub 1.6 with vobsub the sound is out of wack
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could just use VirtualDubMod instead. Infact according to the title above me, that is what you are supposed to be using anyway. Personally I would demux the audio, sub using AVISynth and then remux the audio.

There was also a DSynth mod to AVISynth that would allow you to sub the video and direct stream the audio. Don't know if it has been updated lately though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've looked around for this prob but can't find an answer, I'm sure it's something really simple staring me in the face, that I'm just missing.

I can add subtitles with VirtualDub as explained in the guide, but when I save the avi to folder everything looks like its going fine, but within in 2 min's the new avi being created is hitting a size of 5 Gig yes GIG. The film is only 6 mins in so even with a 100 gig hard drive I'm goiing to fast run out of space.

Please what have I done wrong or not checked surely the redone file should be the same size roughly as the original.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi-

Please what have I done wrong or not checked surely the redone file should be the same size roughly as the original.

You haven't chosen and configured a codec (like XviD, DivX, etc.). You're saving it uncompressed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Mithzamon
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    or use alltoavi, all-in-one mkv, ogm to avi with subs.

Woah, that's awsome. I really should've checked around a bit more on the site ^_^ Giving it a go now.

Edit: AlltoAvi works pretty nicely, the only thing I'm wondering about is if it's some way possible for me to change the font size of the subtitles?

alltoavi worked great for me too.
    it comes with default font arial size 12.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1498318&forum_id=526958

this is the link that tells u how to change to subtitle size, it'll give the option of arial size 14, 18, 24 and 28
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mencoder can scale ttf fonts to any size. Per that thread asking about colours though. To the best of my knowledge, mplayer/mencoder do not support coloured subs. Greyscale only.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi...I have a .avi file...how do I create a subtitle file using SubtitleWorkshop or any similar software.

Thanx
    Allan
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You do a lot of typing, duh...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this tutorial works for .ass subtitle file?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    textsub (VSFilter) accepts ass subs, so yes. Still recommend using textsub via AVISynth than VDub though.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it...it worked but the avi xvid quality is bad...lower than the source file...any idea how to keep the video quality?

I tried frameserving by using Mainconcept (because its fast on my pc)....no video comes out..only green screen....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The green screen is a bug in MainConcept where by it incorrectly uses XviD for colourspace conversions. Uninstalling XviD will solve it or use AVISynth instead of VDub.

Basically the only way to have the same quality, is to use a lossless codec (massive filesize increase). Using a lossy codec such as XviD, you can never have the same quality. That said encode at fixed quant 2 and you probably can't see the difference. If you are aiming for the same size though... The codec has to deal with the old artifacts, whilst trying not to create more. Plus subtitles are not very compressable.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally I'm able to keep the video quality, still using Xvid compression..

In Video> Compression..choose Xvid, Click Configure and slide the Target bitrate a bit higher than the source bitrate (too high will result a bigger filesize)

Select Twopass if you want better encoding but it will take longer to encode..

But still..if you look really closely, you will notice some blurry around the subtitles...not really visible if you watched it on TV screen..
    Do you know why people mostly use Mac in their office?
    Because a lot of stress can lead people to jump off the "Windows".
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I follow the guide, but when I get to the part where I have to open the srt, sub(text), smi, ssa subtitle; I can't open the file, it's like everytime I select it, the textsub settings won't read it. Why is that?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Are you sure your sub is text file?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, is a .srt
    Quote Quote  
  23. I had the same problem with quality, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx many times this was probably the easiest way of adding subs..THANX A LOT!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have coded it with DIVX so can u tell me how to convert it to DVD format now pls?
    I know im noob wid these things i just started wid it
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DivXtoDVD. Or use ConvertXtoDVD and you don't need to use this method, add the video and sub and convert directly to dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay... i have 3 questions here... FYI right now i'm using VirtualDubMod and Subtitle Workshop to convert from softsub subtitle files to hardsub subtitle files.

1) I try to edit the font in the .srt files to the colour version (for special purpose) but when i'm try to save it into .ssa files it seem not working. same thing happen when i try to edit the font of .ssa files to colour version... any program that can support the version???

2) how to make the subtiltle appear above and bottom of the video at the same time???
    (to show the meaning of word, phrase, etc)

3) i've noticed that VirtualDubMod do not support and can't compressed Xvid file... is there any other program like VirtualDubMod to deal with that situation?

thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi-

1) I haven't used Subtitle Workshop, but SubStation Alpha can create or edit SSA subs keeping color, font, size, position, etc.
    2) In SubStation Alpha create 2 subs, one for the low center position, and the other for the high center position.
    3) If you have the XviD codec installed, VDubMod can encode to XviD quite easily and well.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick and many thanks for the guide.It is perfect but i have a question:
    When the movie is widescreen can i put the subtitles under the movie (in the black field)?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to convert subs to SSA format, which supports positioning of the subs. Then it's a matter of trial and error to get the right placements as it depends on the font sizes and all that.
    Quote Quote