VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are just encoding video, then regular VDub is fine. Can't see any reason why you couldn't use VirtualDubMod instead though, they are basically the same in terms of usage.

You should definatly have the filter on for both passes. Same goes for all filters.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I'm having trouble putting in about 5 .ass files into one of my .avi you see, When I put them in with the new sv filter 2.37 or w/e and I add them to my .avi (divx 6.1) and encode it in xvid 1.1 like right after about 3 seconds of the video it lags for a second then the sound is off and the video is as choppy as hell. I was wondering what the problem is. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the correct fps's are for .ass file and how to tweak my xvid settings to fix this. This is funny cause when I play it on my virtualdubmod in "file > preview output form start" it does lag or anything, but when I encode it it lags. Please help me!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the guide ! It does really help ! I just have couple questions. Is there anyone know why the new avi file comes out seem smaller than the source ? I put in a 700MB video it comes out around 400MB . Is there any way to keep the same quality, I dont mind the larger files ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HB, you have to use GSpot on the original video file, figure out its bitrate and settings, then set the same in the encoder settings before you starting re-encoding with the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using the same bitrate, will give you the same size, but not quality. For the same quality, the size would have to go up since a) you are recompressing and b) subtitles are hard to compress and you are adding them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the instruction but when I open my video file in VirtualDubMod, I have an error message
    Can't locate decompressor for format XVID( unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Window(VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codec such as those used in Windows Media Player are not suitable. Only 'Direct Stream copy' is available for this video.

Please let me know what. I am new at this so dont understand much so please keep it as simple as possible. Thanks for your patience and all the help
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What OS are you on? I had the same problem when I was on Win98. I ended up compressing to Microsoft MPEG4 V3 (which can also be played by XVID)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't recompress to anything if it is locked to direct streaming and XviD can't decode MS MPEG-4 V3 (aka DivX 3) since it isn't really MPEG-4.

You just need to have XviD installed. ffdshow with VfW decoding for XviD enabled would also work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help!!!

I'm using VirtualDubMod to permanently add subtitles to my .avi file. But an error occurs when I try to save it as a new file. The error that pops up is:

Error decompressing video frame 0: An unknown error occurred (may be due to corrupt data). (error code -100)

Does anybody know a way that i can deal with this? Thanks so much for any help that i can get!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Error decompressing? Sounds like original file's corrupt, but that wouldn't make any sense...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Using the same bitrate, will give you the same size, but not quality. For the same quality, the size would have to go up since a) you are recompressing and b) subtitles are hard to compress and you are adding them.
    Then how can I keep the quality the same ? I dont mind the bigger size thoug h ! Thanks ! 8)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Just want to drop by a thanks for this very nice guide!

I've got a lot of .ogm and .mkv files that I want to play on my DVD-player and my Zen Vision:M, and to do that I need DivX/Xvid files with subtitles (mostly anime, and my japanese is kinda... bad ^^).

I had no problems demuxing the audio and subtitles, but I couldn't seem to be able to code the subs into the .avi file afterwards, but thanks to this guide I'm now able to convert all my files without any problems at all! Thanks a lot, really useful for me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    or use alltoavi, all-in-one mkv, ogm to avi with subs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    or use alltoavi, all-in-one mkv, ogm to avi with subs.

Woah, that's awsome. I really should've checked around a bit more on the site ^_^ Giving it a go now.

Edit: AlltoAvi works pretty nicely, the only thing I'm wondering about is if it's some way possible for me to change the font size of the subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  15. THANK you for this! I'm using VirtualDubMod to permanently add subtitles and it works GREAT.

One thing: what if I have a .srt. that does not sync with the .avi? Can I do something about the .srt timing in VirtualDubMod (like to start a 1-2 seconds later...)?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adjust the SRT with VisualSubSync or Subtitle Workshop
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trash
    I followed the instruction but when I open my video file in VirtualDubMod, I have an error message
    Can't locate decompressor for format XVID( unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Window(VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codec such as those used in Windows Media Player are not suitable. Only 'Direct Stream copy' is available for this video.
    i had this same problem, only i it is WM3 instead of XVID. I have ffdshow, but that didnt help, do i need to tweak the settings at all?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffdshow can decode WMV 9, check that it is enabled. The other option is MS's WMV9 VCM codec.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks a bunch celtic_druid
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same question as 'HomelessBird'. Fansub groups for asian drama and anime have files that are 700 MB and when they encode them, the files still maintain at 700 MB. The quality seems to be the same, also. Did they use separate streams or something to keep the quality and size the same? If so, is there a guide for that? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem. When I tried to convert a DivX video to Xvid it said "Error decompressing video frame 0" and I just clicked the "Video" menu, clicked on "Error mode...", and selected "Decode even if the result may be garbled". After I did this, I no longer got the error message. I didn't let it convert the whole thing because as soon as I saw that the error message didn't pop up, I just stopped it. So I don't know if it will work out 100%.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JoeyR
    Originally Posted by trash
    i had this same problem, only i it is WM3 instead of XVID. I have ffdshow, but that didnt help, do i need to tweak the settings at all?
    i have this problem too, i still cant get it working
    i am really clueless with these thigs, can someone please tell me what to do, because when i laod my avi movie i get that error,

sorry kinda new at these thigns

hope you can help me
    Quote Quote  
  23. Download and install XviD codec
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol that was all

man i feel stupid thanks annywayz
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This method works very nicely to make DivX files of interviews recorded from TV and subtltled from a text translation. Thank you!

But is there a way to change the output resolution to 640 x 480 instead of the default 720 x 480? It seems to be locked at that size.

640 x 480 creates a more accurate looking aspect ratio when played on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    add a resize filter under video->filters and resize to 640x480 and use lanczos resize.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    add a resize filter under video->filters and resize to 640x480 and use lanczos resize.
    Wow! fastest response ever!

That ought to do it perfectly, thank you!

(Does the order of the 2 filters make a difference in performance or quality?)
    Quote Quote  
  28. First resizing, then subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick & Abond. That worked great.

Next project: Using VirtualDubMod to grab a segment from a DVD, I'm trying to hard code the subtitles into the AVI. I added VOBSub 2.23 in the filters, opened the IFO file for the VOB video file that's been opened. It finds the English subtitle stream and opens it, but I don't see the subs in the Output Preview. What's the trick?

If somebody knows where to find a guide for VOBSub 2.23, it would help. I can't seem to figure out how to use the location box shown at the right side of the filter configuration dialog. It makes no sense to me. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious that's causing the subs not to appear. Thanks!

EDIT: Further searching brought up this guide: http://www.nanomessiah.com/dvd-backup/vobsub.html

which I folowed exactly, but I still don't get any subs. Hmmm.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Well, I'm entirely sure if this is the thread where I should ask this question, but maybe somebody here can help me out. I have some mkv files, i have encoded the video and audio to avi using mencoder, but the subtitles didn't come through (even though it was set to encode those as well), and upon further examination, I discovered that the subs are of type (S/ VOBSUB) according to mkvextractgui, and mencoder is ignoring them because it doesn't recognize the type, also, I can't use mkvextract to extract the subtitle stream, because it doesn't recognize the format either. If anyone knows how to extract this type of sub and encode it into the avi, please let me know.
    Quote Quote