VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

This site lists DVD-Recorders as well as DVD-Writers. I'd like to learn the difference between the two.

Also, there are two write-modes: Constant Angular Velocity and Constant Linear Velocity. I'd like to learn the advantages and disadvantages of these two.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recorders are standalone. You can use them for example to record TV shows.

CLV means that the disc is burnt at a constant speed, say 4X for the entire disc. The disadvantage is that you can't use it at high speeds as the disc would shatter due to the speeds required to burn the inner at the same speed as the outer. This is where CAV comes in, the disc is spun at the same angular velocity, therefor the inner part is written slower.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you look in the Nero CDDVDspeed help file, you will see a little diagram describing the different methods used to write a disc (CLV, CAV, P-CAV, Z-CLV).

Here is the diagram:

CLV = speed of disc rotation is changed to maintain a constant transfer rate from the inner most to outer most edge of the disc.

CAV = Speed of disc rotation is constant, thus the transfer rate is slowest towards the inner edge, while it is the fastest at the outer edge.

P-CAV = a combination of CAV and CLV.

Z-CLV = the disc is divided into " CLV zones" each of which are written to at a constant speed. For example, a 12x write might be divided into 6x, 8x, 10x, and 12x zones.

Z-CLV can be slow, I have heard of instances where a 16X Z-CLV burn took longer than a 12x CAV.

As for DVD-writers vs recorders: the term "writers" is usually used in reference to drives used with personal computers, while "recorder" means a set-top (stand alone) device (the kind you hook up to a TV).
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, PROs.

Looks as if, given a choice, I should better write in CAV mode.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ukb007
    Thanks, PROs.

Looks as if, given a choice, I should better write in CAV mode.

Thanks.
    You don't exactly get to choose the writing mode, the writer does. But, that does happen to be the reason I decided to upgrade from my Pioneer 108 to a 109. 108 did ZCLV on +/- single layer media while the 109 and also the newer NEC's do CAV. Not on RW/DL media though, they still do clv/zclv.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings, HatchetMan.

I downloaded AntMovieCatalog from your links.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Skith View Post
    If you look in the Nero CDDVDspeed help file, you will see a little diagram describing the different methods used to write a disc (CLV, CAV, P-CAV, Z-CLV).

Here is the diagram:

CLV = speed of disc rotation is changed to maintain a constant transfer rate from the inner most to outer most edge of the disc.

CAV = Speed of disc rotation is constant, thus the transfer rate is slowest towards the inner edge, while it is the fastest at the outer edge.

P-CAV = a combination of CAV and CLV.

Z-CLV = the disc is divided into " CLV zones" each of which are written to at a constant speed. For example, a 12x write might be divided into 6x, 8x, 10x, and 12x zones.

Z-CLV can be slow, I have heard of instances where a 16X Z-CLV burn took longer than a 12x CAV.

As for DVD-writers vs recorders: the term "writers" is usually used in reference to drives used with personal computers, while "recorder" means a set-top (stand alone) device (the kind you hook up to a TV).
    Hello.
    I created another thread (iD 385866) about the disc writing patterns, but some questions have not been clearly answered yet.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/385866-Disc-writing-speeds-Which-purpose-has-P-CAV-and-Z-CLV

I am still not clarified about:
    • I am not saying, that P-CAV and Z-CLV are bad. But what are their practical advantages?
    • Why are they not named P-CLV and Z-CAV? (already answered by looking at the graph)
    • Why does Z-CLV have deep spikes pointing downwards on the graph between each zone?
    Old thread warning! ☑ I'm aware that this thread is 4539 days old but I still want to reply. That's because the high age of a thread does not make the information less useful.
    I was a little child when this thread was posted. Our Sharp DV-RW250 DVD/VCR recorder (with Pioneer DVR-R07 disc drive, technically same as A07 and 107) was roughly one year old. I hope, that I am not disturbing anybody.
    Quote Quote