VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am having some problems with my Sony Cd Writer and i have thought of buying a new DVD Burner for my backups.

So i am asking of you gentle people to help me make a better choice : )

I only know of

BenQ DW1620A Dual format

LG GSA-4163B Super Mutli

Pioneer DVR-109

LG GSA-5163D Triple format

LG GSA-5160D Super Multi

Or are there any other ?

I have read the review on LG GSA-4163B here:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/search/B/

They have given it an Editor's Choice award
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just picked up the Pioneer 109 from newegg for $49 shipped. Plan on flashing with Buffalo 8.55 as soon as it arrives. But, what you should do is read the reviews of DVD Writers in the list to the left here, good stuff in there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have used both the NEC3500 and the NEC3520 and love both of them. If you look at the DVD Burner list on this site you will see that the NEC brand is the highest rated, with the lowest price, can't go wrong with that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have 3 Benq 1620 drives, and have had no problems with any of them. I constantly hear of problems with other burners i.e. having to use a certain bios version, some brands of blank DVDRs don't work, having to use a hacked bios version to do bit setting, etc. These issues are not a problem with Benq drives.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want a Drive which would not require any further upgrading of this and that.

I just want to plug it in and start burning thats all.

Yes, churchie, you are right about NEC but its difficult to find NEC products in UAE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Get the Pioneer, as they burn disks that play back slightly better on stand-alone DVD players than most.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a Pioneer 109XLC drive recently to replace my Sony DRU-500A dvd writer.

So far, its been a good burner and no problems yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by normcar
    I have 3 Benq 1620 drives, and have had no problems with any of them. I constantly hear of problems with other burners i.e. having to use a certain bios version, some brands of blank DVDRs don't work, having to use a hacked bios version to do bit setting, etc. These issues are not a problem with Benq drives.
    with normcar to get a BENQ 1620 drive!!!!!
    $39.99 OEM BENQ 1620 from Newegg.com. I have 3 of them too!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you are the slightest bit interested, BenQ does not do dvd-r dl, just an fyi.

As far as upgrading vs plug and play goes, it doesn't matter the brand or model, they all benefit from being flashed with their latest firmware revision. It takes like 1 minute, then restart the pc and you are good to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just purchased the HP 640E Lightscribe enabled DVD burner (Benq 1625 version). Fantastic! Worth the wait! Awesome!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The newer Benq 1620 does DL. But remember, DL is not readable on many DVD players.

Updating Bios is ok, but having to use hacked versions of Bios or having to go back to a previous version because the latest version sucks, are problems which are found all too often by individuals on this forum.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    go to this site it gives you all the info on all the drives
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=f91bb5388ef9a879565ef96ed84176e 0&f=61[/url]
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go for the LG. My old 12 speed lg is better than the benq1620 i have. Cant see that tyhe new lg's could be worse than the old ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As you can read from this thread, ask a dozen people which dvd writer is best, you get a dozen different answers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've had a Pioneer 105, 106, & 107 with no problems, so naturally my vote goes to the 109.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For better media compatiblity, LG or Pioneer are the best ! If you intend to edit video from your DVD recorder on your PC, LG multi is the best.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I want convert my videos from my analogue camcorder to my computer adn then burn them on my DVD's for backup
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone point to an online seller of DVD Burners which ships Internationally.

I am interested in buying a NEC or a pioneer DVD Burner
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by pchan
    For better media compatiblity, LG or Pioneer are the best ! If you intend to edit video from your DVD recorder on your PC, LG multi is the best.
    this is BS....

the best burners are NEC and PIONEER....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PIONEER ALL THE WAY!!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by lenti_75
    Originally Posted by pchan
    this is BS....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1326&PropertyCodeValue=0&Pro...ubmit=Property
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by lenti_75
    Originally Posted by pchan
    this is BS....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1326&PropertyCodeValue=0&Pro...ubmit=Property
    Quote Quote  
  23. sorry dude both posts are not for you.lol
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i had the pioneer 108 and it was good. but they say the benq is the best and the liteon which i have now is spot on and also does bitsetting.but your better of going with what you think
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried NewEgg but they do not ship to my country.

I am situated in UAE and when i choose the International Shipping option, it comes back to FedEX Express
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you give the Model Number of NEC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NEC drives have many hacked firmwares to make the drive better......BENQ 1620 doesn't need hacked firmwares to make the drive purrrrrrrrrrrr....it has bitsetting out of the box.....NEC is famous for not supporting their dvd burners with newer firmware to support the latest dvd media....BENQ has frequent OFFICIAL FIRMWARE to support the latest dvd media in the markets....NEC relies on hacked firmware to meet the latest dvd media.....I would suggest you check out the BENQ forum at CDFREAKS.COM, there are many members there that are in the UK or other countries that could tell you what companies will ship internationally......
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new with this DVD thread, BUT, i've been watching & wanting to buy a simple easy to use DVD writer. My most used format is DVD-R & -RW,using Maxels(with my stand alone Sony HX-900). I heard some writers prefer certain media,dvd+,or dvd-r etc. Does the Benq 1620 like DVD-R & -RW ??? I want to get a writer , but don't want all the problems like i see some have.
    If i get the Benq 1620 or what ever,, can my current CD burning with Easy Creator still be used to burn my cd's??? Again, i'm new to all this, thanks for any helpful info.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Pioneer has made very good burner for the most part. The 109 is an exception. It has issues burning 16x CAV media, freezing during the leadout quite often and requiring a sytem reboot to unlock the drive. With several firmware revision and several people having emailed them about the problem, Pioneer still has not fixed the issues it has. What this basically means is that the only advantage the 109 really had over the 108 is nullified at this point. The 108 is the better burner between the two. With the 110 soon to make it's appearance I seriously doubt the problems with the 109 will ever be fixed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had any problem with my Pioneer 109!
    Quote Quote