VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm getting ready to attempt to convert an Xvid avi to DVD. I've never authored a DVD before and my computer is pretty old, so I'm hoping to only have to do it once. I would appreciate advice on getting the settings correct.

My source movie is 640x272 25fps, ac3 audio 48000 Hz 192 kbs.

I need to convert to NTSC. So I believe I should:

Encode with mpeg2enc, set size to DVD, frame rate ntsc film, enable 3:2 pulldown, set audio to encode passthrough.

Sound good? Also, does it matter if decode with Quicktime or mplayer? Should I check Letterbox?

Much thanks for any and all advice!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Make sure your movie plays with sound in Quicktime Player. You may need to install the ac3 codec from http://www.insaneness.com/ac3.html

Enable "Decode with Quicktime", don't use Passhtrough, enable Letterbox.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply major.

I thought I should use passthrough because the audio is already ac3, isn that OK for a DVD? Should I reencdoe it as ac3 with a different bitrate or Hz? Or should I encode the audio as mp2?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Passthrough is currently only for AVI output. You should simply use the preset settings for audio encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just a followup; I had actually already encoded my video prior to your first reply. I had the audio set to passthtough, and it seemed to work fine. It has played fine in two separate DVD players. Maybe I got lucky.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote