VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm due to go on holiday to Japan and want to record some of the TV programmes while I'm there ... someone told me I could do this with a DV in/out camcorder which would be great as I could use it for sightseeing too !!!

Sooo were they right or just telling me porkies ?
    ~*Love it or shove it*~

*~I don't know the solution, but I admire the problem~*
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to record TV shows with your camcorder, you could use it as a vcr, hook up cables to the tv and hit record. Although it most likely isn't that simple as you would have to run something inbetween the tv and your camcorder to accept the signal, most cams only have composite or svideo imputs. The DV feature only helps when transferring the shows back to the computer to edit. I hope that this gives you a direction to look for more assistance in, maybe bring a small vcr to tape your shows. Good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your Mini DV Camcorder has Analog Input capability and if you will have access to TV video/audio out in Japan, then the answer is yes. (Japan is NTSC, right?) Don't forget to take the right cables.

I tried recording from my TV when I first got my Mini DV Camcorder; the playback was incredible! My Mini DV Camcorder is the best quality VCR that I own!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming your camcorder has analogue inputs (can it be used as a passthrough for instance) then yes it can be done as already mentioned. However, the DV In is of no importance, it is the analogue in that you need to use.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for your replies !!

Are there any smallish budget camcorders you can recommend that have this function

~*Love it or shove it*~

*~I don't know the solution, but I admire the problem~*
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are probably a few with this feature although they tend to be the higher end camcorders. DV and analogue in features are usually disabled on lower spec camcorders. In the UK the import duty is higher on a video recorder than on a camcorder. Consequently, to keep prices down, the inputs are disabled on models where a manufacturer thinks a user won't need them. I prefer Sony although I understand that Panasonic have a good reputation these days. The Sony DCR-HC30 will do the job and is 399 from Jessops, so could probably be had for 300 - 350 from some of the online or discount suppliers.

The only problem you may find is that a UK spec camcorder will be PAL but Japan uses NTSC. Whether you will find a camcorder that can make any sense of an NTSC analogue input is another matter entirely.
    Quote Quote