VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using textsub to hardcode subs to my movies. The only problem is in virtualdub when I try to load idx/sub files it does not load, but srt files load no probs. I tried to convert subs to srt which takes too long because it takes the entire words and not just alphabets. If you know what I mean. Please help.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, textsub is (surprise!) for text based subs. Sub/idx isn't text based. But IIRC there's a sub/idx VirtualDub filter in the vobsub distribution. But you're actually better off with text subs, as you can change font, placement & cetera - sub/idx is "made of pictures" which you can't control as much.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VSFilter contains both textsub and vobsub.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Yes, textsub is (surprise!) for text based subs. Sub/idx isn't text based. But IIRC there's a sub/idx VirtualDub filter in the vobsub distribution. But you're actually better off with text subs, as you can change font, placement & cetera - sub/idx is "made of pictures" which you can't control as much.

/Mats
    USed vobsub but subs dont come out thick as textsub and
    VSFilter does not load up all the time, and if it does, then on some movies I find some lines have been skipped?

Is there another way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Convert sub/idx to .srt or .ssa, use textsub.
    Like I said, sub/idx subs can't be customized to your liking as text based subs can. They are just images that gets overlaid. Text based subs, the overlay image is created "in real time" by the filter according to your settings.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a converter without entering each word in that case? Or am I doomed?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use SubRip (Baldrick's written a mini guide)
    You don't have to enter each word - but you have to enter each character once to make the app learn what "squiggly" represents what character.
    First few sentences, it seems like you have to enter each and every characrter yourself, but pretty soon the app has learned to read by itself.
    As every sub/idx or DVD uses its own typeface, font size & cetera, you basically have to start from scratch for each new DVD / sub you convert to text. But you can save the character matrix for later use - useful for 2 part subs or 2 disc DVDs - you just load the character matrix and off you go for the 2nd part.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. You're right that you can't change the font of the idx/sub type image files, but you can change the placement, size and color. Unless you get a really crappy font, that's usually enough. I don't know why Mrsash is having trouble with them. I've used them maybe 100 times with no missing subs or problems of any kind. Doing it through AviSynth, loading the VSFilter and using the VobSub command. Although in principle I don't approve of burning subs into an AVI, and certainly not into DVDs, my first DVD/MPEG-4 player didn't support external subs for AVI, and I didn't feel I had a choice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    You're right that you can't change the font of the idx/sub type image files, but you can change the placement, size and color. Unless you get a really crappy font, that's usually enough. I don't know why Mrsash is having trouble with them. I've used them maybe 100 times with no missing subs or problems of any kind. Doing it through AviSynth, loading the VSFilter and using the VobSub command. Although in principle I don't approve of burning subs into an AVI, and certainly not into DVDs, my first DVD/MPEG-4 player didn't support external subs for AVI, and I didn't feel I had a choice.
    I usually dont hardcode subs either, but when its a asain movie where I dont know the language or other non english language I hardcode it as I have to switch them on anyway. Also I Author them in Tmpgauthor and it does not take sub files so I am doomed to encode it.

mats.hogberg: thanks for you suugesstion. I did try subrsync already before posting. The problem was it read antire words and not just single letters so was here for hour and a half entering words, beacuse there are many word combinations than individual letters but will give subrip a try as well.
    thanks
    Quote Quote