VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I'm trying to subtitle several movies I have in my hardrive, so I can put them on cd's and get rid of them.
    I had problem with one of them. I added the subtitle filter on Vdub, and etc. I chose Xvid compression and then hit Save as AVI. After the movie was done I tried watching it to see if everything was fine. Well it wasn't. It wasn't posible to open it with any player, i mean it opened, but i wasn't able to watch it. The time counter was always in 0 and the screen black.
    Then I tried saving the movie as DivX. Then it worked. Sort of. The subtitles were okay, except because they were double. Like if a sentence appeared, behind it, the same sentence would. Like a shadow or something.
    Does anyone know what's wrong with it? That way has always worked for me. :/
    I'm sorry if i didn't explain myself that well, english isn't my first language
    Thank you,
    Roxy.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

Does anyone know what's wrong with it?

Yes, I think so. Actually nothing's wrong with it. You probably have the subs burned into the video, and the original external subs (in idx/sub format, or srt, ssa, etc.) are also being displayed by the player. There are some ways to check. You could move the external subs to a different location in the computer and then play the AVI. You could give them a different name and then play the AVI. Or you could open the AVI in VDub(Mod) and scroll around to confirm that there is only one set of subs.

As for the XviD problem, I'm less sure about this, but it sounds to me like you ran only the first pass (2pass-1st pass), where you should also have run the second pass afterwards (change to 2pass-2nd pass). If I'm correct, that unplayable AVI should be very small in size. But like I said, I'm less sure about that, as you didn't really provide much information about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thnx, yeah, you're right the avi file was actually very small, 500 MB or something. So is there a way to fix that? On the other side... the movie does not have original subtitles. I downloaded it, i watched it a couple of times and it never had subtitles. I made them and added them. And it's not very probable that a movie that i downloaded had already subtitles in spanish.
    Thnx. Byeeeee.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was saying that your reencoded AVI had the subs that you added to it with the VDub Subtitler Filter, and they were also showing a second time by being added by the player. At least I think that's why you have 2 sets of subs showing. Perform one of the 3 tests I outlined in order to confirm that there is really only 1 set of subs in the movie.

As for the XviD problem, if I was correct in guessing that the black screen XviD resulted from running the first pass only (which produces an unplayable black screen AVI), then the file should be a lot smaller than 500 MB. It's usually something like 3 or 4 MB, if I remember correctly, so maybe something else is at work here.

To get a good XviD, since you still didn't give much information about the method you used, what I would suggest is to use either Gordian Knot, or its easier cousin AutoGKnot, for the job. Both will allow you to add the external text subs you created.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I'm gonna try it when i have time and i'll tell u how it worked
    Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Bye.
    Quote Quote