VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips:

"Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset."

Full article here:

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Channel 23, here we come - Max Headroom.

20 minutes into the future.

Who says life doesn't imitate art?
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I won't be buying Intel in the future. Glad I already own a mac.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guess that there will be two types of MOBOs produced now. One for the USA and one for the free world.
    Quote Quote  
  5. NO more Intel processors for me. Hello AMD
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless RIAA, MPAA and such, start pushing all the mobo manufacturers to incorporate DRM, then we'll be going back to XT PCs and 5.25 Floppies.

--

Take Care.
    JuanMa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kabanero
    Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips:

"Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset."

Full article here:

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    nice title.. i even read that quietly in my mind
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dnix71
    Steve Jobs has been in discussions with Intel lately...
    It's probably just a leveraging tool to pressure IBM, but you never know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I switched over to AMD about six or seven years ago. I have been wanting to switch back for various reasons, mostly of perception, ever since. I guess now, however, I will simply stick with what I have, especially given that a vote for Intel is basically a vote for MS to continue the Wintel relationship, anyway. How much longer before these manufacturers realise how prone DRM is to blow up in their face?
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  10. The likelihood that the next AMD CPU will have exactly the same type of technology inbuilt is pretty high.

You know, you can use a non-MS OS with a P4 just easily as with an Athlon...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't Intel have that now (sort of) with their serialized CPU's that customer outrage forced them to be shipped with that feature disabled instead of enabled as Intel wanted. iTunes, Rhapsody, etc. could always change their software so that it only works with the serialization turned on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The public won't be fooled that easily.

We will end up buying our hardware from lesser known brands that don't have the protection.

Just like a couple of years ago, when we ended up buying non branded dvd players because they were multizone and the branded ones wern't.
    Have a nice Day
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dnix71
    Maybe you won't be buying Macs in the future either.

Intel Chips In A Mac?

-drj
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Morning all

I hate this deception of control; bean count; nosyness; benfit cut programs;
    etc; And, I hate how MS pushes all this (for their own deceptive interests
    and hidden agendas) ..and how they (MS and 3rd party) show up on TV w/
    interviews of deceptive takeover (I mean) progress and how all these wonderful
    things will help mankind take control (I mean) progress into the future.. yada yada..

Anyways..

Can we at least *identifiy* weather or not we have these "goolies" inside
    our motherboard / cpu, so that we have a fair chance of knowing forhand
    in our daily activities of choices, whatever they may be.

Maybe the developer of CPU Tester - cpuz.exe could add in a few
    fields that *identify* id'er.

-vhelp 3354
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by vitualis
    The article I read said
    Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an operating system.

Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection" which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and software from remote locations, again independent of operating systems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sadly, the vast majoritiy of users will not even be aware of the ramifications of this added "feature" and I would not expect that this will have any impact at all on their sales.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They'll become aware of it after the fact and stop buying, which will eventually be felt. Maybe a couple of years too late to stop the savvy from suffering through it, but anti-consumerist measures like this are always bound to fail. Just look at how effective Region Code Enhancement turned out to be.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by vitualis

Regards.
    Yes, but then we're right back to the software incompatibility problem. Linux has been such a disappointment. They could have been somebody, they could have been a contender.

This reminds me of when Coca Cola come out with New Coke, what a bust that was...but it was a bust to very loud and vocal rejection via public opinion. So unless computer users that value their privacy do the same, then we're probably doomed.

I just emailed Intel and let then know what I tought of their New Technology. Maybe everyone should.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It used to be - if you had the receipt for something that you bought and paid for - it was yours.

How long will it be when the rest of our belongings - are no longer belongings?

We need our own Personal EULA.

PEULA?
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    good job i'm perfectly content with my ol' Duron 1600 then (and win98). I'm about to put a dual layer writer in it and see if it still holds up a decent speed putting stuff onto it. if not i'll probably, one day, find what the fastest chip is without this bullshit built in and upgrade to that, and stick.

for everyday word processing stuff i'm still happy with my old win3.1 VGA P75 laptop after all (though it does require using Word 6 in "Full screen" mode). you dont actually need all the bells and whistles to get the job done so long as the basic software chassis is in place.

(and yes..... i can even get online with it, using IE 4 16-bit and a 10mbit ethernet pcmcia card)

isnt it wierd that the main thing driving all these electronic device sales was the freedom it allowed you to do your thing, and now companies want to shit all over it. we've already seen the Minidisc die a death mainly because of sony being too restrictive with how you can use the device (memory cards are still far more expensive and more fragile than either regular or 1Gb minidiscs, but i know which camp i've now defected to)... gah!

Funny (darkly ironic?) thing is, if they were themselves prepared to act ethically, sensibly or fairly in their application of DRM and the side effects of restricting copying / "unauthorised" viewing (e.g. outside a particular region) - not price gouging, and not only making some titles available in one particular country, etc, then people might be more prepared to accept it. With affordable tunes / titles you get less pirating. Very few people pirate CD singles, but their cost is still too high for some people just to get one "hit" track and some b-sides they might not care about, which drove the creation of the chart compilation album. Piracy could be seen as a spinoff of such for albums and films / tv series as the prices for some of them can be truly outrageous.
    Plus all the great things which never make it past particular borders (japan, america, and france being bad for "squashing" particular and seemingly random or "just too good to share" exports)
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now might be a good time to buy up spare P4 motherboards. Frankly, if it gets to the point where the only PC I can buy relinquishes control to a third party, I'll give up personal computing altogether.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i dont like drm being forced on me, but as mentioned before, you'll have no choice.

the vast majority of people dont know what drm is, or really care what it is.. if they see 2 products and one says "drm supported", they'll probably buy the drm version.. and i'm sure microsoft, and to a lesser extent intel will talk about how great drm is and how it will benefit you, blah blah.

you really have no choice anymore, drm is here, drm is queer, get used to it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by AlecWest
    Now might be a good time to buy up spare P4 motherboards.
    That's probably a good idea especially if you have a AGP videocard,I will boycott Intel and buy Via or SiS chipsets.
    I hope someone takes this to court in the US on the grounds of fair use,recently a federal court struck down HDCP on HD devices...so there is hope.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fact that they're being quiet about it already means it will
    blow up in their face, and they'll be using their unsold chips
    for litterboxes. What a waste of energy!
    With the way coporations talk today, they'll probably
    call it something like "THE FREEDOM CHIP" or
    "COPYING UNLIMITED"--- then in fine print on an obscure website
    "for subscribers only".

hahahahahaha...I can't wait....hahahahaha

I've never copied anything I didn't own,
    but they still insist on making my life difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by EddyH
    isnt it wierd that the main thing driving all these electronic device sales was the freedom it allowed you to do your thing, and now companies want to shit all over it.
    Nice turn of phrase. Yes, it's all about freedom, that's why personal computing really took off. It's not the effort to enforce copyright that bugs me, it's the far-reaching implications of all this... and the possible misuses.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  26. I already have one computer for the internet and everything else isn't connected. They can't control what they can't reach. BTW, if you don't have a quality non-MS firewall on your internet machine, install one and see how often your MS software tries to call out without telling you. Nyah Levi
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone yet given a reason not to buy these products. Any half-wit can avoid their new "DRM features". It's like saying we will no longer buy DVDs because they have Macrovision and that it violates our Free World Rights.

If anything, this new technology might be more accessible to hackers. But this article doesn't come close to violating our pleasures of backing-up movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This gives greater protection to the creators of content. Considering that DRM is just a method for allowing those with "permission" to use something while restricting those without, if you have legitimate access rights to the material in question, then where is the problem ? All it does is make it harder for all the warez-monkies out there. Here's a novel thought - keep it legal, and you won't have a problem
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    This gives greater protection to the creators of content. Considering that DRM is just a method for allowing those with "permission" to use something while restricting those without, if you have legitimate access rights to the material in question, then where is the problem ? All it does is make it harder for all the warez-monkies out there. Here's a novel thought - keep it legal, and you won't have a problem
    Depends on, who is defining legal. If they change the definition in the future (the content industry), they just can stop any drm usage remotely. No way to keep it legal unless you play under the content provider`s rule. You`re just the cow being milked.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Presumably though they could decide that they don't want you format shifting your new HD/Blu-Ray hybrid disc or even to watch it at all on your PC. Now wouldn't it be possible to do that with this technology? and you couldn't use different software or anything to get around it as it is hardware based.

Now shouldn't I have a right to watch it on my PC if I want? Similar to DeCSS coming from wanting to watch DVD's under linux.

Or maybe my PC has to go online and I have to pay extra to view a movie that I already paid for?

As said it is the content providers (major studios, etc.) that get to decide what is legal and since they are the sole owners of said content, there is no alternative.
    Quote Quote