Search Comp PM
    Toast 6 is the first version that was built
    to take advantage of the UDF format.

it is also the one the majority of us use,
    so if you have problems, we can solve
    them much easier.

Do a search on Pricegrabber.com for the
    best price.

As for DVD imager, see Frobozz's post above yours.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Neko_chan , some complements :

1) Toast 5 (5.23) can create UDF format DVDs , no problem.

Or,

2) As stated before, ffmpegX (which you already downloaded) can also replace DVDImager: Go to "Tools", select the folder where your VIDEO_TS and empty AUDIO_TS are, and push the DVDImg button. You'll get a DVD.img, which you can burn thru Disk Utility.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i might try ffmpegX, i'm working on DVD imager right now, but it's taking a while to creat one disc image out of one VIDEO_TS folder...is ffmpegX quicker in doing this?
    luv, luk, and lollipops ^___^
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i switched to ffmpegX now, ok so i did everthing you said. i have one file ready...movie.dvd.img is that right? and then all i have to do is burn them thru disk utility? how do you do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neko_chan
    burn thru disk utility? how do you do that?
    Are you saying your copy of Disk Utility doesn’t have that Burn-icon screaming at you in black and yellow?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes it doees, but how do you put the files in to burn them? and what should i put them under, images, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, i burned one file thru Disk Utility after runnig it through ffmpegX to make it a proper disk image for a standard dvd player. after burning it on the DVD-R, it still woudn't play.
    *sigh* I have a Toshiba Televison with a built-in dvd player ( it is not a terribly huge TV). If telling about what kind of TV i have helps...anyway...i'm thinkng of whatelse to do. maybe i made a mistake in Disk Utility or somehting...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does your Disk Image (movie.dvd.img) play in Apple DVDPlayer? If yes, it's surely a compatibility prob with your TV...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it does play in apple DVD player, apple dvd pplayer didn't open right after it was burned. but it does play.
    what can i do? if there is anything i can do that is...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fact that DVD Player did not automatically launch suggests the DVD still might not be the correct format or that the VIDEO_TS folder might not be the top-most folder on the disc.

Insert the DVD in your Mac and choose Get Info from the Finder. Does it say the Format is Universal Disk Format? If so, when you double click on the DVD icon in the Finder what are the names of the folders or files that you see there? When you double click on the VIDEO_TS folder do you see the list of .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files you'd expect to see?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sorry for butting in here, but could it be that his burning is to a DVD-R disc and his tv DVD not able to read -R's, but maybe reads + R's?

Just wondering if this is the the problem.
    Aloha!
    Like (Lee-K)
    "The Garden Island" Kauai, Hawaii
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Neko, are any of these your Toshiba Model?
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=toshiba&Submit=Search&Search=Search&ch...y=Name&hits=25

Seems like the combo all in one Toshiba MW20FM1
    can't handle DVD-Rs....
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cshould i try DVD+R's instead?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I would try DVD+R/W if you have one, and then you wouldn't be wasting a DVD+R. Does your TV manual tell you any info about the DVD part of it?
    Aloha!
    Like (Lee-K)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'll try that, but first, i'll look in my TV manual, what should i look for that tells me it supports DVD+R/W? or any other DVDR.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sorry, I don't have any knowledge on Toshiba TV's manual, but it shouldn't be that hard to find out which DVD format it will work with. And if unable to find that, then just try a DVD+r/w. Nothing to loose, except your time.
    Aloha!
    Like (Lee-K)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, so i get the DVD+R/W's and i burn them the exact same way ( through Disk Utility) right? and i have a question bout disk utility, how do you burn multilpe files on a disk? i put my files in the disk image list( on the left side of the window) i clck burn, and a window pops up asking me what file i want to burn not all the files get on the disk...
    Quote Quote  
  18. neko_chan, I hope someone else steps in here to help you with the program your using as I do not use that program and know absolutely nothing about it. Sorry, but I would think you would do it the same as you did to the DVD-R format. I do know you can't put any more data on the disc than what the disc is rated for, ie 4.7GB.
    Hope this helps anad hope someone else can answer your questions about the program.
    Aloha!
    Like (Lee-K)
    Quote Quote  
  19. First, insert the blank DVD into your drive. You will see it mount on your desktop (if you have the Finder prefs set to show "CDs, DVDs and iPods" removeable media. Then you double click the DVD icon and a window will open. Drag your files into this window. When all files are loaded, close the window and drag it to the Trash. The trash icon will change to the Burn Icon and the disk will be burned with the files you have put in it. You don't need to launch Disk Utility—although the discburning feature of Disk Utility is, I belive, the same as the one you will be using.

>>ok, so i get the DVD+R/W's and i burn them the exact same way ( through Disk Utility) right? and i have a question bout disk utility, how do you burn multilpe files on a disk? i put my files in the disk image list( on the left side of the window) i clck burn, and a window pops up asking me what file i want to burn not all the files get on the disk...<<
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Neko will need to go back to the steps Frobozz and I outlined for using Disc Utility and DVD Imager,
    so that the DVD is properly UDF formatted.
    By itself, Disc Utility cannot burn UDF spec formatted discs.

Also, I can't tell from your computer details EXACTLY
    what Mac Model you have...Some Mac Models have
    restrictions set on them so they cannot burn DVD+R/RW discs WITHOUT Toast Ttianium 6 installedbecause the finder
    will not allow you to MOUNT the discs.
    ( the iMac line [both imac G4 and G5], MDD Power Macs,
    1st, 2nd and 3rd gen eMacs).

It is looking more and more like Neko, if you had
    Toast 6 installed, your headaches would be over....sorry!

Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi all,

can anyone tell me if there is a program like VirtualDub compatible for Mac ?

Is iMovie works ?!

Thanks
    Francesco
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jackonerd, what is it you want an application like this to do?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Need to get it because I got fimls in avi, divx formats etc. with no subtitles and virtualdub was able to do it. Plus VB got features to modify films, change video-audio parameters and so on ...

Francesco
    Quote Quote  
  24. Does anyone know why Mac sometimes does not read cds at all ?!

I got some films on cd (avi, divx) probably burned with special parameters by a WINXP ...

Is it any way to make Mac advance to read anything ?! (I mean at least make it perceive the cd into the driver because at the moment it does not even show the cd icon on the desktop)

Thanks
    Francesco
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't help you with why the discs don't mount.

Good applications to try include MPEG Streamclip, ffmpegX, MPEG2 Works.

For playing various formats try VLC Media Player.
    Quote Quote  
  26. My main problem is exactly this one. I have got all media player I need but, I think I maybe have to unlock hidden feature for the cd/dvd driver ....
    It seems unconceivable that the computer does not reconize a cd ....

Thanks a lot though

Francesco
    Quote Quote  
  27. Have you set System Preferences> CD & DVDs properly. Should be Open Finder if you want them to mount on the desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  28. How can I set these things properly ?! .... from System preferences I can just change few details... can you get me a hint for setting it good?! do I have to unlock hidden features ?! ... what do you reckon ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's happening is the Mac OS is trying to read the disc's directory and formatting and is saying "I don't know what this is so I can't mount it." If you have a Divx movie on a PC and burned it as a data in ISO 9660 format (standard for PCs), the Mac can mount that.
    Quote Quote  
  30. FFMPEGX should create a burnable disk image that Disk utility can burn without problem. The only possible problem I can see is that ffmpeg as an encoder is not truly standard in that it does not produce a truly constant bitrate. You should use mpeg2enc for real compatibility.

My suggestion:

-Get a 5 minute test video, or use a clip from your movie.
    -Get 1 DVD-RW. For the record. - is more compatible than +
    -Use the Ffmpegx preset that is called DVD mpeg2enc
    -Use the DVDimg button in the tools tab to create your burable image.
    -Burn to your DVD-RW to test in your DVD player.

Alph
    Quote Quote