VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've searched the Media Forum, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Everyone seems happy with their Maxell Silver Printable DVD-Rs, but I can't seem to gewt them to print right. Plain white top prints great on my R200, but when I print the silver ones the look spotty (sorry, I don't have a scanner to show a pic). Even after two days of drying in open air, the disks still feel tacky if I use a higher ink setting to use more ink when printing. Does anyone have a good setting that gives a nice printout on these disks with an Epson R200/R300 printer?

Thanks

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never used Maxell printable on my R200, but I did a quick search and found Maxell silver printable usually never specifies "Inkjet" Printable. Some descriptions specify "Thermal" printable. Are you sure they are not Thermal Printable? The only silver printable I've used are Taiyo Yuden and they dry quickly just like white printable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have some silver printables, but I think they're Verbatim. In any case, they print fine on my R200...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure they're inkjet printable, the pakcage lists them as so. Also, (I don't have the spindle in front of me), the thermal printables code on the spindle is something like xxxx-ts, these are listed as xxxx-ss (may be reversed, again don't have it in front of me). I don't think they're made too much anymore, since I've never seen them sold above 4x burn speed, which may not mean much since I still but the 1-4x Panasonic LF series from Best Buy even though all my burners are above 8x.

These are the same ones I have, but I bought them in spindles of 50 instead of buy the single piece:
    http://www.meritline.com/maxell-4x-dvd-r-dvdr-printable-blank-media-silver-disc.html

If you back to the previous page, you can see the thermals are listed as TW (for white). I didn't buy these from Meritline, but the site that I bought them from explicitly listed them as Inkjet printable, but I can't remember where it was.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Looks to me that SS stands for "shiny silver" and TW for "thermal white". Still seems fishy that most advertising for these just say "printable", instead of "inkjet printable".

I don't think there's anything you can do to improve the results with an Epson printer. Might be best to move on to a different brand of "inkjet printable" silver media.

Sorry I couldn't help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In my experience if Meritline says "Printable" as opposed to "Inkjet Printable" then they are NOT inkjet printable.

Please post the link to the actual site you purchased the media from. Check your invoice if you don't recall where you bought it.

-drj
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use prodisc silver printables... I made a mistake this past week-end...I went to a computer show to buy blanks(silver inkjet printables) and a guy was selling "Matrix"... I asked if they were inkjet printables(I've been doing this for a while..making DVD's) He replied yes... I said "they look a little different" he said "But they're inkjet printables"...so I bought them. When I left...on the way home I cracked the seal on the spindle and took a better look at the media...right away I noticed the fine coating on the top....this is what thermal printables have...so I lost out....I say all of this to say, If you see beading or smearing....it's not inkjet printable.....If you can wipe or wash the ink off easily....It's not inkjet printable.....learn to buy from places known for quality....for example the companies that sponser this forum....the names are on the home page....Meritline...supermediastore.com....cdrdvdr .com...ECT.
    Is what we learn indeed a fact, or someones opinon?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I got some sample printable disks and the silver ones had to be for thermal printers. The ink would never dry and I could run it under a faucet and wash it all off. While I was stilll able to use the disks, I couldn't print on them. On the other hand, it was part of a sample pack so I didn't get stuck with a lot of disks.

You may want to see if you can use a Sharpie on them. At least you could use them for other purposes...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I checked with the guy that bought them for us, they were bought from a Meritline or front end of theirs (sorry, gov't credit card, don't have access to the invoice). THey were stated a inkjet printable, but after looking through some of the reviews of meritline, it doesn't surprise me they lied/false advertised. I have to admit, they do burn great. Anybody know of a good, cheap, color thermal printer?
    Quote Quote