VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I converted a .avi file to a .mpeg1 for a vcd. I used TMPGEnc for this conversion. The .avi plays perfectly, so I know it has something to do with converting it to mpeg1. To the average person, the video would probaly look great, but not to me. There are certain parts in the vcd, [if you pay close attention] seem to be alittle 'jumpy'. I wish I had a better description to tell you how it is. It's like 'certain frames' are not running smoothly. I would say about 90 to 95 percent of the video runs great. It's just certain parts as I said that are not.
    Any possible solutions? Has anybody had this happen to them? Please help.

I used all the settings I needed to make a 'NTSC' video. On the motion search precision, I used, 'highest quality'[very slow]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ddubb on 2001-12-14 14:29:49 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi.

I have the same problem on my PAL vcd's created with tmpgenc.
    I have managed to reduce the jumpiness using the inverse telecine function, but it's still far from what I concider to be good.

It looks to me like the I picture in the GOP doesn't follow the preceding B picture correctly. Probably something in the frame rate conversion.
    I get better results encrypting PAL from a PAL source (25 to 25fps).
    Otherwise it's a darn good piece of software...

//E
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey... check and see if "Auto I-frame insertion" or "Detect Scene Change" is on (It's either one or the other). If it is on in TMPGEnc, TURN IT OFF.

This feature is supposed to increase quality on a scene change by placing an "I" frame there. It doesn't work well in TMPGEnc at all. Particularly in MPEG-1. I don't know about MPEG-2. Actually, TMPGenc seemed to buggy to me, I've gone and switched to CCE... !

Try this before you mess with anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. try avi2vcd it might fix your problem
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem with the whole "jumpy"-thing. Have you checked if your avi-files are in 23,97 fps? Because I think this is the whole reason why it gets jumpy. PAL is 25 fps which means that the avi-file originally have 1,03 frames to little to run smoothly. The thing that happens, I think, is that some of the frames stands still for a quarter of a second to make the fps become 25 instead of 23,97. I would love to know if someone knew how to make the conversion without the "Jumpy"-thing. Is there a program that let you raise the fps without those still-frames? They are really annoying...

I don't use TMPGEnc though, I use Panasonic MPEG-1 Encoder.

-Lars17-
    Quote Quote