VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was in my local Futureshop today (Regent Avenue, in Winnipeg), and NONE of their Fujifilm DVD's were Made in Japan, all Taiwan, so I passed up their sale of a 100 spidle of Fujifilm DVD's for 49.99. Also, the only Made in Japan Maxell media I found was the 25 packs. The 100 packs were Taiwan, so again, I passed it up. So is Futureshop getting Taiwan media only? if so, that would really suck.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think it's Futureshop. It's Fuji and Maxell. I've read from several sources that Maxell is using Ritek and recently on another forum someone was shocked to find their Fuji is identifying as Prodisc. Looks like everyone is following Memorex now in outsourcing to whoever makes them cheapest.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That sucks. Japan media is the best..why give that up? grrr. I wonder if Maxell-Ritek's are any good. If not, I'm gonna be heading over to blankmedia.ca
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by markhamPete
    I don't think it's Futureshop. It's Fuji and Maxell. I've read from several sources that Maxell is using Ritek and recently on another forum someone was shocked to find their Fuji is identifying as Prodisc. Looks like everyone is following Memorex now in outsourcing to whoever makes them cheapest.
    That's not true.
    Both Maxell and Taiyo Yuden discs are still in production.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Maxell and TY discs are SO bloody hard to find in large groups. I found like 3 packages that were made in japan. And being in Winnipeg (its like a small town compared to most cities) its hard to find a large selection of good media.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Fuji has used prodisc in the past, I got prodisc media id codes when I bought Pioneer DVD desktop home TV burner.. in the DVD-R
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems like Maxell is working in opposite directions with their -R and +R discs. Around Easter Future Shop had their 100 packs on sale. The DVD-R were made in Japan whereas the +R were made in Taiwan. You could only get the Japanese +R discs in the 25 and 50 packs. However, now it's the opposite where the DVD-R 100 packs are Taiwanese made and the +R 100 packs are Japanese made. I've had no problems finding the Japanese made +R discs in Montreal Future Shop stores.

As for the latest sale all the Fuji DVD-R 100 packs in the downtown Montreal store are Taiwanese made but the +R 100 packs are all Japanese made (Taiyo Yuden) and quite abundant. As I see it if you like Japanese made +R discs they are very easy to find at FS. In any case it's what Fuji and Maxell have decided to do. I'm sure Future Shop is happy to sell the products no matter where they are made.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was talking to a video geek about this very issue two days ago.(no Bull) BOTH Futureshop and Bestbuy Canada seem to have done away with most if not all of they're Japanese made media. Apparently they're only buying cheap stock. According to said friend all the Fuji and Maxell -R discs at Futureshops in his entire area are made in Taiwan. In fact there are little to NO Japanese made media on the shelves. Period. Just the odd +R spindle. Same for me. The best thing to do is COMPLAIN to the manager. LOUDLY! Write E-mails, or take you're business elsewhere if you have that option. I do. :P These local guys: www.Sonnam.com have Taiyo Yuden -R discs in 25 packs for $15.00Can. It's a hassle to get out there. But you can bet they'll be getting my business in lieu of Futureshop/Bestbuy's stupid management decisions.
    Quote Quote