VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it just me or is DL Media actually going up instead of down in price. A quick check at Rima showed 2 offerings at $24 and $30 a single disk. Looking elsewhere that price seemed pretty much in line with other name media. I have been assuming that DL would follow the price curve of most other newly introduced formats, yet it seems to have gone back up as much as $6-7 per disk over the last 8 months. I haven't heard that manufacturers were claiming any new problems, but I hadn't heard that they had cleared up any of the old QC issues either.

Since media typically falls in price about 1/2 every 10 months, this almost makes me think/worry that DL has dead end written all over it despite the huge number of new burners that support the format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's just you.
    Come down a lot.
    Even bestbuy.com has $6 each DL media now.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. I checked bestbuy.com and actually your wrong, down to $4.50 a pop. Odd, I've just been watching like Rima and Supemedia like I mentioned they've actually gone up???

Ok, guess that's a nevermind $6 or less is certainly on the price curve meaning that they'll probably hit the $3 range sometime early 2006.
    Quote Quote  
  4. still too expensive for me. I'm not spending 3 dollars per disc to chance at a coaster. I'll wait until they come down
    Quote Quote  
  5. Each person kind of has their own point Silverblade. $3 is pretty much my cuttoff. But remeber it's only been about a year ago that high end SL media dropped below $1. Given almost twice the storage capacity $3 isn't that much more per byte. The coaster penalty is of course a lot higher, but I'm also assuming that that will drop significantly within the next year, just like it did for -R and +R.

Looking around a bit more, it does seem odd, but consistent that the loss leader stores (WalMart, BB, Office Depot) are definitely much, much cheaper than the media outlets (Rima, etc) right now?????
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sammie
    I checked bestbuy.com and actually your wrong, down to $4.50 a pop.
    Actually they are $4.666 a piece, but you have to buy a 15pk.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7141933&type=product&productCategoryId=c...=1110264240277
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Odd. Just last night they were not quite $6 each on a spindle.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Riteks are $4.20 AR @ Supermedia.com.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i was at sam's a week ago, they had 9 verbatim dvd+r DL's for $47 + tax.
    individually wrapped in jewel cases, 3 packs of 3.. not bad.. wal-mart recently went down on their 3 pack of verbatim dvd+r DL's from $30 to $20.

a friend of mine told me he was at a sam's in a different part of the state and saw 20 verbatim dvd+r DL's for $35.. if thats true, i'll go and buy 5 packs.. i'll find out this weekend for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lumis
    a friend of mine told me he was at a sam's in a different part of the state and saw 20 verbatim dvd+r DL's for $35.. if thats true, i'll go and buy 5 packs.
    If thats true pick up a pack for me too. Thats less than $2 a disc.

He's gotta be mistaken.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leebo

He's gotta be mistaken.
    i thought the same thing too. i was like "they were verbatims right? and they said DVD+R DL 8.5GB, right?".. he kept reassuring me they were.. at that price i would totally switch over to dual layer recording.. it would take just as long to make a 1:1 copy of a dvd as it would for transcoding..

i'll find out for sure this weekend if he was right or not, i really hope he is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by leebo
    a friend of mine told me he was at a sam's in a different part of the state and saw 20 verbatim dvd+r DL's for $35.. if thats true, i'll go and buy 5 packs.

He's gotta be mistaken.
    Think I'll head off to Sams club tonight just to see, but I was there the other day and they didn't even have any in stock
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can find DL Riteks in Canada(okay, Toronto) for $6.00 bucks Can. One location only so far.

OT: Are Dual Layer Riteks any good?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I rushed to my Sam's with no luck. They said it was on their order list, but with no arrival date
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    Originally Posted by leebo

He's gotta be mistaken.
    Think I'll head off to Sams club tonight just to see, but I was there the other day and they didn't even have any in stock
    Found this Verbatim 6-pack of DL - but they are definitely not $2 each - more like $8 per.

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?coe=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-23589%3a-2...cfkjdgoodflg.0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best Buy here has 10-packs for $56 of DVD+R DL Verbatim (MKM)
    Quote Quote