VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently bought TY Dvd-R discs from Supermedia store , i had learnt about TY discs on this website and came to the conclusion that these discs must be one of the best in the world, since most ppl on this site regarded it highly.However when i got the 100 Disc budle i was actually surprised. The discs came wrapped by a tranparent plastic paper without any label on the tranparent cover!!! On top even the discs themselves doesn't have any label on them, they are just plain with one side being silver and other side being purple.

I though atleast the TY company would care to put their name on the disc.Its hard to say really as to what one has really bought.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Freeware like DvdInfoPro in the "Tools" section can help you identify the manufacturer. If you bought TY X4, dvd-r, silver on top, purple on the bottom, it will identify as follows,

I had the same initial impression about the packaging. Two 100 packs from Supermediastore were bought for a large, multi-family project. All 200 have burned with no failures.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What a disc does or doesn't say on it's surface has zero to do with its quality. Some of the best discs made, TY included, are very often sold unbranded with a plain silver top. It doesn't make them any lower in quality because they're not labeled. Some of the worst discs I've used had fancy graphics on them, it really has nothing to do with the quality of the disc.

As for having no spindle, well, they were probably intended for bulk sales, they do use the term 'bargain' for those discs, using spindles would add to their cost.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Supermedia Store isn't your local Best Buy. Which is why you got a better deal on high-quality media. It can make you doubtful, and I have to admit, buying media from a bulk online place had me wondering too when I received them. However, after hundreds of successful burns, I don't worry anymore about how they look.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If storage is an issue for you, just put them in a cakebox from another set, or you can purchase them online. (Sorry I don't have a link right off the top of my head, but check out some of the sponsor links on the home page here.)
    Phil

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PMorton
    If storage is an issue for you, just put them in a cakebox from another set, or you can purchase them online. (Sorry I don't have a link right off the top of my head, but check out some of the sponsor links on the home page here.)
    Brilliant! Why didn't I think of this . Places like meritline and supermedia store sell empty cake boxes for a $1. Simply pay an extra buck to get the nice storage packaging, if you were so stupid (like me) to throw out old 100 pack cake boxes. To use, put the unopened pack on the cake box spindle, remove the wrap and voila! No stack of loose disks to fuss with.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought these "value" Ty DVDs from supermediastore also. I placed two orders for 200. On the last 100 pack of the last order I started getting coasters. For all I know, the first 300 were shitty also- I don't usually check my recordings.

The media ID was a TY ID- but we all know these things can be faked. I've also read in this forum that these were lower grade discs (not up to TYs usual standards) which is why TY is selling them as value discs.

I don't know if any of thats true, but the whole point of buying Ty discs was to get rock solid discs. I'm going to go back to my 8x real Ty discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dafoe
    I bought these "value" Ty DVDs from supermediastore also. I placed two orders for 200. On the last 100 pack of the last order I started getting coasters. For all I know, the first 300 were shitty also- I don't usually check my recordings.

The media ID was a TY ID- but we all know these things can be faked. I've also read in this forum that these were lower grade discs (not up to TYs usual standards) which is why TY is selling them as value discs.

I don't know if any of thats true, but the whole point of buying Ty discs was to get rock solid discs. I'm going to go back to my 8x real Ty discs.
    These value discs are only supposed to be written at 4X. If you burned them at 8X, there's no guarantee they would work. I use these on my standalone recorder when I transfer TV shows from my TiVo.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Did you look at the picture in the ad? I bet it doesn't show writing on the top of the disks. That's how it is when you buy bulk disks online. Mine are always like that. If you want to pay double for writing on the disks, just buy from OD or Staples.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by maldb
    Originally Posted by dafoe

These value discs are only supposed to be written at 4X. If you burned them at 8X, there's no guarantee they would work. I use these on my standalone recorder when I transfer TV shows from my TiVo.
    Sometimes they are 4x and sometimes they are 8x. Most of the discs I've got have been G02 8x discs. Either way they burn fine at 8x with the NEC 3500. I've had a couple of bad discs out of a few hundred, and sometimes when the burner tries to go up to 6x or 8x it will drop back to 4x, but the discs still play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I know the discs you are talking about, I buy them all the time and are GREAT. I have bought like 600 of them for diverse projects and I haven't had a single coaster.
    These discs are supposed to be burned at 4X, as a matter of fact, the webpage has a BIG picture of the stack of dvds enveloped in that white plastic with a huge 4X beside it, you can't misunderstand an add like that.
    http://supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles.html
    Steve2713 is right, the "fancy" stuff on a dvd or it's lack of it does not have anything to do with its quality. These are by far the best quality/price discs I have found on the net.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. They sell them as 4x, but out of the 2000 discs I got only 600 of them were G01 4x discs, the rest were G02 8x discs.
    Quote Quote