VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I live in Winnipeg (Canada) and I am wondering where I can find 4X media? its getting really difficult to find now with 8X being brought into the market. I don't have the money for a new DVD burner. (I'm planning to wait for recordable drives for the the HD DVD/Blue ray, or whatever is coming next).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why not use the 8X media? Your burner will accept it. It just won't burn at 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I got a tip from the Digital Dolphin (www.blankmedia.ca)

Hi SilverBlade

The Pioneer DVR-105 is a pretty old drive now... it will probably work "ok" on some 8x DVDRs, but you will almost certainly see better results from actual 4x media. It might be a good time to consider upgrading your DVD burner, now that we have reached the maximum speed of DVDR technology (for single layer discs that is).

-The Digital Dolphin

Note the 'will probably work 'ok'' part. I want to have my movies work 'excellent' not 'ok'
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't believe that - I think 8X discs burnt at 4X will work fine on your 105 - the only thing is that you might require a firmware upgrade for it to recognise the media codes, but that's about it. After all, the discs are generally 1X-8X, which means that 1X, 2X, 4X, 6X & 8X should all be supported.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SilverBlade
    I got a tip from the Digital Dolphin (www.blankmedia.ca)
    Your answer was right there. I see blankmedia.ca still carries 4X media.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I should have mentioned, I don't have a credit card, and my bank doesn't have the online servies that the site accecpts
    Quote Quote  
  7. Verbatim makes a great 8X disc that will burn flawless from 1X all the way to 8X, including 4X. Most places carry them in 50pk spindles, including Best Buy and Sam's Club.
    Quote Quote  
  8. As mentioned you can use any dvd and burn at a lower speed. Calculating price of each is the question, if you buy cheap media divide the total price to the number of good ones to see how much it really costs, buying a good brand on sale works out cheaper and also price of a new drive could be less than a full tank of gas. If you wait for HD most likely have to buy new computer too. I had the debate with myself too, now I just buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I prefer 4X media as well. Its not that my burner can't handle 8X, its my older JVC players will not play anything but a 4X -R. Infact they won't play maxell 4X. Most computer and Office supply stores have 4X, I have no idea what chains are near you. Can ya use a friends credit card ?
    Quote Quote