VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How do I capture/copy DV AVI?
    You need a FireWire port on your computer to be able to copy/transfer DV-AVI from a DV camcorder, most newer computers have one builtin or get a cheap firewire card.
    Use WinDV or DVIO to copy the DV to your computer to Type1 or Type2 DV AVI or just use your included DV software editor to capture and edit DV like Pinnacle Studio, NeroVision Express, Ulead VideoStudio, Adobe Premiere Pro, Windows Movie Maker. Remember to have lots of free HD space, DV is huge, about 216 MB/minute or 13 GB/hour.
    Or
    Use a desktop DVD Recorder with firewire/DV input and record directly to DVD-Video on DVD media.

I drop frames when I capture/copy DV AVI
    Read https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157660
    Also https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264231

What is Type1 and Type2 DV?
    There are two types of DV format. Type I and Type II. One has audio as a seperate track, the other has the audio interleaved throughout. It is set by the program that transfer the video to the PC. Not all software will open both types. You can convert between Type1 and Type2 DV with no video quality loss, some free converters:
    Ulead DV Type 1 to DV Type 2 Converter
    Canopus DV File Converter
    DVdate

I can not open the DV AVI in my software?
    Try install a DV Codec like
    Canopus DV Codec
    Mainconcept DV Codec
    Panasonic DV Codec
    if that wont help you can try convert between Type1 and Type2, see question above.

How do I add DV date and time to the DV AVI?
    Use Visual DV Time Stamp or DVdate to add permanent date and time codes on the DV AVI or use DVE Dv date for Adobe Premiere. Or extract the date and time to text with DV_Datecode or DV Sub Maker and you can add the date and time as subtitles when you author to a DVD with for example DVDauthorgui, DVD-lab pro or Ulead DVD Workshop.

Can I capture/copy DV directly to DVD MPEG2?
    Yes, using for example Ulead DVD MovieFactory or Mainconcept MPEG Encoder but you need a really fast computer.
    Or
    Use a desktop DVD Recorder with firewire/DV input and record directly to DVD-Video on DVD media.

How do I convert DV AVI to DVD MPEG2?
    Use an all-in-one DVD Converter like Pinnacle Studio, Nerovision Express, Ulead DVD MovieFactory, VSO DivXtoDVD.
    Or
    Use a standalone DVD Encoder for better control and video quality like Tmpgenc Express, Tmpgenc Plus, Mainconcept MPEG Encoder, Canopus Procoder or CinemaCraft Encoder.

How do I convert DV AVI to WMV or DivX or XviD?
    Use Windows Media Encoder or Windows Movie maker to convert to WMV.
    Use Dr.DivX to convert to DivX.
    Use AutoGK to convert to XviD.

I can only capture 19 minutes DV
    It is because Windows uses FAT32 and it has a file size limit of 4 GB. If you're running Windows XP or 2000, you can overcome its 4GB limit by converting your drive to NTFS, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx
    Or
    Use a DV capture tool that can split the files when copying like ScenalyzerLive.

/AAA
    Quote Quote  
  2. I actually have a 1394 connection at the front of my computer. Is this the same as the firewire? and there is no DV in/out on the camera just av in/out and the usb connection.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Camera or camcorder? What model?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry, Ive sorted everthing. thanks for looking
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently copied video footage from a sony digitalHi8 camcorder onto my computer using sony picture package. I then burned this footage to DVD using ASHAMPOO 6 burning studio . The subsequent dvd will only play on my computer and not on any of 3 other dvd players in the house. HELP!!!!
    I am on here to get help as apart from basic computing I am hopeless....
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    goldhead: Make a new topic instead.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Baldrick, don't understand make a new topic instead. Thanks for trying to help
    I am on here to get help as apart from basic computing I am hopeless....
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Make a new topic instead of using this FAQ topic, click on the new topic button in the dv forum https://forum.videohelp.com/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=40
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey goldhead download software like convertxtodvd. This converts any format to a playable format on any dvd. The format you burned the dvd only plays on computer (it may be an wmv format). Therefore, you need to change the format and that is what convertxtodvd does.
    James
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this really useful as well: http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/dv.htm
    Quote Quote