VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a BENQ 1620 DVD-RW burner and am trying to use a formatted DVD-RW disk to store video files on temporaily. It's formatted with Instant CD-DVD which went OK. As soon as I try to either copy or move any file onto the DVD-RW I get the error message "cannot copy XXXX--this disk is write protected". Never had problems moving files to my CD-RW disks--why am I getting this message?? How the heck can a DVD-RW be write protected and how can I get rid of it??

I have Windows XP SP-1 and the disks are TDK 4.7 GB 4X DVD-RW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you trying to use to write to the disc? Just Windows Explorer? If so, do you have an actual burning program that you could use to write the files to the disc?
    Andrew Timson
    ==============
    "Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
    --Brendan Moody
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Packet write software and DVDs don't mix.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Packet writing software has always been shady at best. I seemed to have better luck using it with +RWs vs. -RWs, but that may have been the media itself misbehaving. Either way I don't really trust anything written with Packet Writing software, there's been several times I've lost data from using that buggy shet.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was trying to use the standard Windows Explorer cut-copy-paste routine I've used for years on my CD-RW's. Had excellent luck with those. Apparantly from what I'm reading DVD-RW's are a different case!! I have Nero so I'll try to "burn" the files that way. Two questions though for that method:

1--Are the files still erasable??
    2--Is formatting necessary using that method??

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Files being erasable will depend on the burning program you use. (Roxio v5 will let you; I don't know about others.) It's been a while, so I don't remember if an initial formatting was necessary or not.
    Andrew Timson
    ==============
    "Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
    --Brendan Moody
    Quote Quote