VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple of AVI files burned onto CD-R's that I want to convert to VCD, or DVD files. I need them to be able to work on a standard DVD Player and I do not know what file format I need to convert them into for them to be abe to work. I asked someone at the Apple store if iMovie would do this. And they said yes. However, I need to know step by step instructions on how to convert video files using iMovie. These video files that I have are in Japanese with English subtitles. And I have a Mac OS 9.2, but soon to be upgraded to 10.4. Anyway, if any of you know about iMovie, please help

love, luck, and lollipops ^____^
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi puchiko_chan,

Welcome to the forums.

What you want to do is certainly possible. I'm a PC user, so not sure of what applications there are for Macs, but a good place to start is over in the "How To" section to the left. There's all sorts of guides etc.

Also, it might be worth checking out the specs for VCD, SVCD and DVD so you know what you're dealing with and may be able to avoid potential problems.

From personal experience, I found starting with VCDs then SVCDs a good basis before moving on to DVDs - DVDs are / can be more complicated, depending on software, approach etc.

Definitely get a re-writeable CD and DVD - no coasters!

Enjoy, and good luck!
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  3. puchiko_chan, while iMovie MAY work, the best bet is to use ffmpeg x or mpeg2works. There is a tutorial done by Galactica http://webpages.charter.net/ernsta/DIVX2DVD.htm that explains how to convert a DivX avi to DVD. Divx is one of the most popular forms of avi around and will probably apply to your files, Assuming you want to keep your subtitles, then go with ffmpeg x. There is a forum on this site that the software author frequents and he can help you with specific questions. There are tutorials on his site http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ that deal specifically with your issue. Look at the "How-tos" section.[/i]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    puchiko_chan
    Some of my guides are out of date, let me know if you have any problems.
    Hopefully i can get them updated soon!
    Quote Quote