VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am rather new to the the subtitle world and am trying to create a sub for one of my DVD. I use DVDLAb Pro and Subtitle workshop, now here is the problem :

Situation : A started to speak while B was already speaking at the background.

I use this timing (*.srt file) :

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:01,000
    BBBBBBB

00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:02,000
    AAAAAAA
    BBBBBBB
    Ok then with Subtitle Workshop, all displayed very well (meaning that BBBBBBB was fixed all the time and at 00:00:01,000 AAAAAAA appears).

But after i import the sub to DVDLab Pro and compile to a DVD, it seems like between 1 and 2 BBBBBBB disappears for a few milliseconds (it "flashes" as if there is an a blank between 1 and 2).

Hope you all understand what i mean... :P

So my question is : is there a way to display BBBBBBB without a little "pause" while AAAAAAA appears in the middle of BBBBBBB's duration for a DVD subtitle???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always do it this way (screen display):

- LISTEN TO ME!
    - NO, YOU LISTEN TO ME!

They both display at the same time, and the reader gets the idea of the speech tempo.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx, so there is no other way???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Situation : A started to speak while B was already speaking at the background.

I use this timing (*.srt file) :

BBBBBBB

AAAAAAA
    BBBBBBB
    Have you tried this

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:02,000
    BBBBBBB

AAAAAAA
    BBBBBBB

Just a thought - don't know if it will work.
    You can't fool me, I'm a moron!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, this won't work either (DVDlab pro count as an error).
    Quote Quote  
  6. pad an offset of spaces, so that the 2nd speaker is on the 2nd line, but moved over to the right hand side more after being padded with spaces.
    Some people are only alive because it may be illegal to kill them
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alsyed
    pad an offset of spaces, so that the 2nd speaker is on the 2nd line, but moved over to the right hand side more after being padded with spaces.
    Sorry, i didn't really get your explanation... Can you give an example, plz?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Code:
    AAAAAA

AAAAAAA
                               BBBBBBB

perhas...?
    Some people are only alive because it may be illegal to kill them
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, the problem lies with AAAAAA :
    between 1(00:00:01,000) and 2(00:00:01,000), AAAAAA won't remain fixed, but will flash for a few ms. So for a viewer, this "flash" will be quite annoying...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wiseman,
    When you import subtitles into DVD Authoring program, they should not overlapp each other in time.
    Time overlapp will cause errors.
    For example, DVD Architect2 don't even allow to import overlapping subtitles.
    So there is no point in trying that.
    Your situation should look like this:
    BBBBBBB

00:00:01,100 --> 00:00:02,000
    AAAAAAA
    BBBBBBB

In this case they will not overlapp.
    Since you are new to subtitles, remember that overlapping will always cause troubles, so check Subtitle Workshop manual on how to automatically correct time overlapp, before you import to a DVD authoring software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jeremiah58, your method did in fact resolve the overlapping problem, thx, but not my problem : how should i do to make "AAAAAA" fixed (without flashing) while "BBBBBB" appearing or disappearing ??? That was my initial question...

And the fact with 1(end 00:00:01,000) and 2(beginning 00:00:01,000) is not considered as overlapping in DVDlab pro.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it's the software that you are using, because I've done this effect with subtitles, and they don't "flash" (they're just bitmap overlays, anyway). Maybe DVDLab requires a "space" between subtitles, or maybe STWS is not exporting the subs correctly.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wiseman
    Jeremiah58, your method did in fact resolve the overlapping problem, thx, but not my problem : how should i do to make "AAAAAA" fixed (without flashing) while "BBBBBB" appearing or disappearing ??? That was my initial question...
    Sorry, I do not understand what dou you mean by:
    "AAAAAA" fixed (without flashing) while "BBBBBB" appearing or disappearing ??? That was my initial question...

Have you ever seen a similar subtitle effect in commercial DVD's?

I have done some translating and subtitling of old movies which will never apeear on my country's DVD market, so I'm skilful in that part.
    I do not use DVDlab Pro, tough.
    I doubt that available freeware subtitle editor programs may produce what you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In fact, what i really want is to add a note to explain one sentence from the sub. But unfortunately all the commercial DVD i ve seen don't have it.

A note should remain a little longer than the sentence it should explain.

So take an example : AAAAA is the sentence, BBBBB is the note that should explain AAAAA's meaning. AAAAA last 1 second, BBBBB 2 seconds. Both should appear at the same time.
    After 1 second AAAAA should disappear, BBBBB still remains. So my problem is when AAAAA disappears, BBBBB also disappears (a few milliseconds like a "flash"), then reappears. I want to avoid BBBBB's disappearance. How should I proceed (if there's a solution to it without reencoding the video...)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The time "resolution" of subs is the same as for video--1 frame. It sounds like you don't have them butted up exactly one after the other.

Example (using SMPTE timecode w/NTSC DF video):

Code:
    00:00:02:00 --> 00:00:11:29
    AAAAA
         BBBBB

00:00:12:00 --> 00:00:24:29

BBBBB
    If you made #1 00:00:02:00 --> 00:00:11:00, you would be leaving a whole second as a gap between the subs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wiseman
    So take an example : AAAAA is the sentence, BBBBB is the note that should explain AAAAA's meaning. AAAAA last 1 second, BBBBB 2 seconds. Both should appear at the same time.
    After 1 second AAAAA should disappear, BBBBB still remains. So my problem is when AAAAA disappears, BBBBB also disappears (a few milliseconds like a "flash"), then reappears. I want to avoid BBBBB's disappearance. How should I proceed (if there's a solution to it without reencoding the video...)?
    That is definetely not possible in the way you wish it to be. At least I haven't encountered that possibility in software I have used. Nor there is a need to be it so, IMHO.
    If I would need a similar combination, I would put both AAAAA and BBBBBB in one subtitle, as SLK001 proposed, and let it last for 2 seconds.
    Quote Quote