VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A MacInTouch reader today says that his new dual-2.3GHz G5 has a SONY DW-Q28A dual-layer DVD-writer in it.

Not much info on the web about this burner, but thought I'ld post the info as there have been folks saying that they were interested in in getting the same burner as is now issued as OEM so they would have maximum compatibility with Tiger.
    Quote Quote  
  2. this must then vary with the particular machine you get. maybe apple has multiple suppliers?

the pioneer 109 was reported by many at MacNN and I believe here.

]rotut
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've seen reports that some of the new G5s have the Pioneer 109 in them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I saw the discussion thread there started by rotuts where the owner of a new 2.0GHz said he had a Pioneer 109. Given the MacInTouch reader with the 2.3GHz machine reported having a Sony drive, it would seem that the guess of multiple suppliers might be correct, or possibly that the higher-end models have a different drive than the lower-end models.

More data needed to make a better guess...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Lets hope it's not the sony drive since it is a rebranded Lite-On
    Quote Quote  
  6. oddly its cheaper to get the G5 BTO with the CDRW save 100 $ and get the pionner 109 for 55 $

My eventual plan the next incarnation. it seems you save always by getting the G5 of your choice with then min RAM/CD etc

no idea on video cards not my field

rotut
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just got a 2.7 machine and it has a 109
    pants on, pants off, pants the floor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Does the 109 Apple is shipping have DVD-R DL support turned on or off?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chikanakan
    Does the 109 Apple is shipping have DVD-R DL support turned on or off?
    On, according to the Apple store.
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  10. And the next question, of course, is "Can it burn at 16X?" Even with the most current firmware many units can't reach that speed with supported media. Mine for instance. I had hoped the upgrade to Tiger would help. It did not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm too busy at work to even play this new machine so i'll have to look this weekend. i'm wondering it it'll allow for bittsetting too. i hope so.
    pants on, pants off, pants the floor.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I know Apple supports DVD+R DL, but I'm curious about DVD-R DL. I have not seen that mentioned. It would be interesting in knowing the firmware also, because the older version of the 109 had major issues.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know yet which DVD burner is in the updated iMac G5?

Speaking of DVD-R DL, I noticed this in the Popcorn 1.0.2 release notes:

• Correctly records to DVD-R DL (dual layer) media for data disc formats.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't recommend DVD-R DL by the way. The layer break can't be correctly set like it can on a DVD+R DL. If you are backing up DVD to dual layer discs, use DVD+R DL instead.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have an example of when DVD-R DL is preferable to DVD+R DL? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I would say in all case DVD+R DL is better. The only time I would even consider the +R DL and -R DL to be equal for data only or if burning a DVD Video and the layer break location is not important. This would only happen in the case of burning your own video content to DVD in something like Toast.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got the new powermac dual 2.3's, and I can confirm mine has the sony. I have no idea if its' good or bad yet ( unpacked it today) but it's defiantely the sony.
    JPT
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sjk
    Anyone know yet which DVD burner is in the updated iMac G5?

Speaking of DVD-R DL, I noticed this in the Popcorn 1.0.2 release notes:

• Correctly records to DVD-R DL (dual layer) media for data disc formats.
    Why would that be in the Popcorn release notes? Can it compress something even larger than 8.5GB to fit onto a DL disk? What I mean to say is - is there any reason to burn DL disks in Popcorn? Surely the whole point is to compress stuff onto oa single layer disk...
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  19. Unless it also has a "Join" feature like DTOX. Then one might put a film and its sequel both on one disk....or both versions of Memento (forward running and backward running).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thoughton
    Why would that be in the Popcorn release notes?
    Media compatibility?
    Can it compress something even larger than 8.5GB to fit onto a DL disk?
    Maybe.
    What I mean to say is - is there any reason to burn DL disks in Popcorn? Surely the whole point is to compress stuff onto oa single layer disk...
    That's the only reason I'd have to use it but it's capable of making uncompressed DVD copies and some people may use it for that.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Many people do not have Toast, but want to burn DVD. Apple can't do it and most other apps don't do it correctly.

Popcorn 1.0 has always supported DVD+R DL. Popcorn 1.0.2 adds DVD-R DL support. It's the only software on the mac that can currently do it.

If you have a DVD DL burner, you can back up the enter DVD without compression. You can also compress larger then 8GB to DL or 4GB.

I like to take EyeTV files, create a DVD image in Toast and then compress that image to DL or SL.

If you had 15-20GB, I'm sure one could compress it to DL. I've done 10GB to a 4.7GB DVD, and it was good enough for what I needed.
    Quote Quote  
  22. In a few weeks there will be an update to Tiger (10.4.1) which will enable iDVD to burn DL. Not sure if it will support + and - or one media only. But Apple has been hyping the DL capabilities of iDVD in their press materials for the new G5 and HD codecs. I'm guessing Toast will update soon also. Hopefully not to 7.0 and an upgrade fee.

I can see that Popcorn would be usefull (should have bought it when it was only $19 with rebate a few weeks ago). Then I could put all three extended Lord of the Rings movies on one disk... and never have the time to watch it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Toast as support DVD+R DL for 8 months or so. Toast 6.0.9 has had +R DL support, and even before that, OEM builds had it. Apple is slow to do anything. Since Popcorn already has DVD-R DL support, Toast will should have it in the next update. Apple will not support it for a while since their burn engine is so far behind.

Toast has supported HD since 6.0.9 was released also, so Apple was a little behind on that front also.
    Quote Quote