VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Whenever I use a glossy insert for my dvd covers, I get this problem where the insert sticks to the plastic cover on the dvd case. The result is that I get what can only be described as a blotchy effect. The ink is dry, but still somewhat moist enough to cause this. I have since switched to matte inserts but like the quality on the glossys better. I used the Meritline brand glossy inserts and am using a Canon Pixma ip2000 printer. Has anyone else encountered this problem and how this you solve it; a different brand of inserts perhaps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a big problem of using ink.
    Or glossy paper.

I gave up on ink in 2003 and got color laser.
    Never looked back.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had exactly the same problem with the Meritline glossy inserts about a year ago. I was printing them with an old Epson Stylus Photo 700 printer. They looked great, but the ink never fully dried. I even tried leaving the covers out in the Arizona summer sun to dry them, and they still remained slightly tacky. This was weird because other glossy photo paper, even glossy labels, were always dry right out of the printer. I participated in several threads like this one here, but nothing helped. I gave up and switched to the Meritline matte inserts.

A few months ago, my Epson finally died, and I bought a Canon Pixma 5000. I tried a few of my leftover glossy inserts, and they work fine, as long as I let them dry (somewhere between 1 hour and overnight works good for me). My only problem with them now is that they print darker than the matte ones, but I should be able to either make an adjustment in the printer driver or lighten the image before printing.

I'm surprised to hear you're having this problem with a Canon Pixma because I think it uses the same ink as mine. Try giving them more drying time. Another thing to try (if you haven't already) is to select "film" or "tranparency" as the paper type instead of "glossy photo paper". I think this setting puts less ink on the paper.

For me, switching from an Epson printer to a Canon solved the problem. Oh, and I only use genuine Canon ink if that makes a difference. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies. While I use compatible ink now, I used genuine BCI-24 ink for a long time and I still had the problem. I'm really surprised to hear about the drying time. I usually just let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then blow on it for a few seconds. But I'll try to leave it overnight and also try different settings to see if that helps. Thanks again folks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try sprinkling some baby powder over it very lightly and then brushing it off. That usually does the trick.

Its just a problem with certain inks on certain paper. It used to happen to me alot with a Canon printer. Now with my Epson it only happens with large sections of solid ink, like a mostly black cover (I hate those!). Baby powder does the trick for me though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i had the same problem with meritline glossy paper and i also use the epson r200 however after switiching to professionallabels.com glossy inserts the inks dry ater printing just like regular paper
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the tips guys. I tried drying them out longer (overnight) and that did the trick for some of the inserts, but on the mostly solid black ones it still had the blotchy effect. I'll try the baby powder trick, but if that doesn't work, I'll probably switch brands or just go back to matte.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had good luck using "brochure" paper, either semi-gloss or satin, printed with my HP deskjet printer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. same ... when to sure thing matte a4 inserts ... they work very well even w/ photos and under the plastic cover on the case they look very good...and, no sticking or blotches...
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the same problem, particularly with dark colors -- which could take months to dry on their own. What I do is spray clear acrylic on the labels, which you can find in any art store. This takes care of the wet ink issue. Avoid using the spray inside if you can because of the fumes. Let them dry outside for 15-20 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Maybe this will help.

Been using Epson heaveweight Matte paper. Its some what cheep. And looks much better under the clear part of a DVD case. It does not loose its color to the plastic. And since the clear part of the case is adding the sheen why spend for more expensive paper when it wont get much better than just using plane old matte paper.

Can post some samples if desired.

Good luck on the printing!
    Quote Quote