VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. FYI:

I have an HP DVD640e Lightscribe External burner. It came with SureThing CD Labeler 4 SE.

I attempted to burn my first Lightscribe DVD using the Verbatim media . Upon printing the label in SureThing CD Labeler 4 SE, I got an error message basically saying that the media was not recognized. The error message box has a button which will access the internet to check for an update to presumably fix the issue. All that pressing the button does is take you to an HP support website which consists solely of a search box. Nice tech support... You can link to the web to verify that you have the latest firmware for your drive, but that's it so far as I know.

Now for the good news. I updated the HP drivers using the file provided in the MVD.com forum post 'Lightscribe drivers here' (link below). The software then burned an image on the DVD.

http://forums.mvd2.com/tm.asp?m=229...tmode=1&smode=1

Now more bad news...

I have noticed that the label images I can burn with Verbatim Lightscribe DVDs are not as crisp or as dark as those I can burn with Verbatim Lightscribe CDs. Has anyone else seen this yet?

The DVD images seems a little blurry in comparison to the CD images. I can improve the darkness of the DVD images by burning twice, but even then I don't think the image is on par with what I can burn on the CDs.

The topcoating on the Verbatim DVDs I have seems thicker than that of the CDs..

I have three ideas. I'll send an e-mail to HP and Verbatim tech support with the issue also.

My ideas....

1)Early manufacturing flaw on the DVDs.

2) A necessary manufacturing difference between the DVDs and CDs yielding a different quality image between the CD and DVD.

3) Some problem with the burner drivers recognizing the newer DVD disks, resulting in a lesser quality image burn.

Any confirmation of what I've experienced or help fixing the image burn quality for the Verbatim Lightscribe DVDs is greatly appreciated.

- Brett Jones
    Brett
    Quote Quote  
  2. OK. I got my response back from Verbatim. The problem with the DVD image quality vs. the CD image quality is inherent and not a flaw or bad burner driver. I appreciate the quick, honest response from Verbatim. I will be reporting how the Memorex and HP Lightscribe DVD media perform ASAP, although I suspect we'll see the same results.

Dear Brett -

I am sorry you are disappointed with the DVD image.

Unfortunately, the effects you see on the DVD are real and unavoidable. It is caused by the extra reflection of a DVD, due to the multiple DVD surface (a DVD is composed of 2 discs glued together, and CD is only one thick disc). So you get an almost holographic effect. The effect of the shadow will depend on the image type also. We use the same basic ink composition for DVD and CD to the discs would otherwise look the same. It is possible that we could alter the DVD disc composition sometime in the future, but it
    is still in development.

Best regards,

Tim
    Verbatim

Tim,

I do think people who've burned pictures with the CDs will be wondering what's going on with the DVDs. There's nothing out on the web that explains that there will be a difference.

Compound that the frustration with the fact that people have had to wait longer than anticipated for the DVDs to enter the distribution chain, and some folks are going to be upset.

The images you can make with the DVDs are not horrible by themselves, but unfortunately you can easily compare them to the CD images, and they look inferior by comparison.

Thanks for answering the question.

-Brett

Brett,

Thanks for the feedback. We will certainly consider a modification for the next generation. Also, appreciate your advice on publicizing the differences between CD and DVD images.

Tim
    Verbatim
    Brett
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Brett,
    I have experienced the same problem with the BenQ DW1625 LightScibe burner.

BenQ tech support has advised me that the Verbatim DVD media is NOT supported by their burner....so I use the "generic" setting and burn the label twice. The Verbatim CDR worked very nicely, but I am disappointed in the DVD labeling support.

Ted
    Quote Quote