VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All,

Apple has made much hoopla over the fact the Quicktime 7 does the vaunted H.264 codec. I've been using ffmpegX do squeeze things down with H.264, which makes for better file sizes/quality than Xvid and Divx. These H.264 avi files play fine in VLC and Mplayer . . . . and they don't in Quicktime 7.

I have a feeling that this is because the H.264 file is in an avi container, and Quicktime 7 wants it in an mov container. So are there any plans to get ffmpegX to put H.264 in an mov container, or is there a bug with QT7?

Can anyone shed any light on this quandry?

Thanks,

-STS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Indeed, Quicktime 7 only supports H264 in MOV/MP4 containers, while mencoder engine only supports it in AVI containers. In subsequent versions it will be possible to overcome this barrier.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Something to try in the meantime (no guarantees that this would work):

Set the audio and video codecs to Passthrough, and save the result as a .mov file.

If that just creates another .avi file, you could try the ffmpeg binary to copy the streams from the .avi file into a new .mov file, like so:

/Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg -i (input file).avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy (output file).mov

Edit: that is, you would do this process on the .avi file generated by ffmpegX.

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  4. No, it would not work. The muxer currently doesn't support h264 in mov.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there any way to get a DVD into QuickTime 7 for encoding to H.264?
    I have the MPEG-2 component, but it doesn't seem to be opening the .vob files or the demuxed .m2v files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try MPEG Streamclip. The export to Quicktime function of MPEG Streamclip will encode with H.264 as a MOV file.

This requires Quicktime Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you, I will give it a try.
    Quote Quote