VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some DivX movies (dvd-rips & screeners) at 640 x 480 and i want to be able to watch these on my pioneer DVD player.
    1) What is the best quality format that i could use to accomplish this (XVCD, SVCD, SVCD...)?
    2) Also should i use MPEG-1 or MPEG-2?
    3) Which encoder would be best?

Sorry for the newbie questions i've only made VCDs before with Panasonic MPEG-1 Encoder and i want some higher quality movies. Also if you could offer some estimates on time for the best choices It would be much appreciated.

Thanx in advance

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uknow on 2001-12-13 18:45:55 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. You need to read the compatibility list to see what your DVD supports, then use TMPEGEnc to convert to the proper quality.
    2. Answers to the left.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is a tough question to answer, because it depends on your DVD player. Click the brown "DVD Players" link to your left, and look up your make and model of DVD player. This will tell you what format your DVD can play. Unfortunately, some DVD players cannot play VCD or CD-R at all.

On my Apex 1500, it will play SVCD, but I cannot use fast forward. I find (through extensive experimentation) that the best format is X-VCD, with MPEG1 at a 2048 kbps bitrate. (encoded with TMPEG) This looks nearly as good as a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, should of mention my DVD player supports all formats except SVCD subtitles and DVD-R/RW.

So X-VCD sounds good. Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  5. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-12-14 13:51:17, rrhea wrote:
    This is a tough question to answer, because it depends on your DVD player. Click the brown "DVD Players" link to your left, and look up your make and model of DVD player. This will tell you what format your DVD can play. Unfortunately, some DVD players cannot play VCD or CD-R at all.

On my Apex 1500, it will play SVCD, but I cannot use fast forward. I find (through extensive experimentation) that the best format is X-VCD, with MPEG1 at a 2048 kbps bitrate. (encoded with TMPEG) This looks nearly as good as a DVD.
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

You maybe able to fix the no fast forward problem! This is caused by errors in the file you are burning. Not all players are affectd by these errors but Apex are for sure...
    You can fix by running file through VCDGear before burning. Set for mpg - mpg and fix errors. Only takes a few min even on a slow machine. Or use VCDEasy also fixes errors but also converts the file to Bin/cue either works great for me. No more SVCD disks that won't fast forward or rerverse!
    Quote Quote  
  6. First of all the XVCD ratio is 352 x 240, is this a big difference from the VCD 352 x 240?
    So would the SVCD be better if could rewind and fastforward?

By the way about how much bigger is the size of the file than VCD; also how much longer does it take to encode.

thanx again
    Quote Quote  
  7. FYI my pioneer dv-525 dosn't have any problems playing, ff, or ,rw either VCD or SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yea i didn't think the Pioneer would have any trouble with it either.
    But should i encode in SVCD opposed to XVCD for my 640 x 480 DivX?
    Quote Quote