VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a spindle of Ritek printables recently for the first time. The first disc I burned went just fine, but I tried to burn a second one and I keep getting a 'Power calibration error' when it tries writing the table of contents. It doesn't look like anything is actually burned to the dvdr since the software still reads it as blank. I've tried 4 different discs and they all give me the same error. I don't have any other dvdr's, but I did try a dvd+rw and it seems to burn alright. Can someone tell me if this is a media problem or is it my burner itself? Anyone come up with this error before?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have encountered this error on a cd burner one time. Turned out to be the burner. Sometimes it can be the media. Do you have any other media? Borrow some from a friend if not and try some different brands out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Lots of topics on PCEs, its the media for you. Get the right media to match your writer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Media. Ritek is crap these days. You gets lots of PCE on bad media.

Though it could also be a dirty laser. Or dying laser.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. According to your profile you are using Sony DRU-510A.
    Be aware, that the new Ritek G05 is no longer compatible to that burner:
    http://www.ritek.com/products/dl/DVD_minus_%20PC_Burner_compatibility_04_25_2005.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah crap, that sucks. I did get one to work, but it looks like it might just be random. I bought 100 of em too. I normally go with Prodisc, but Rima didn't have any white printables for them anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gnslinger
    Ah crap, that sucks.
    Bad burner firmware support is the problem. Those 100 Ritek disks are probably good and will work in almost all DVD burners. Except Sony DRU-510A with firmware version 1.1a and DRU-500A / FW 2.1a. The firmware is not optimized towards the new, modified G05 dye.

(If my assumption is right, that you are using DRU-510A and G05 media)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Had similar problems with my Pioneer 107 recently. Read lots of posts and went with upgrading/flashing my drives firmware AND as some people suggested, cleaned the lens in my burner also (using a standard cheap lens cleaner, no big deal), just to be on the safe side. Haven't had any problems since. I reckon the major solve is to flash, though. Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joeg04
    Bad burner firmware support is the problem. Those 100 Ritek disks are probably good and will work in almost all DVD burners. Except Sony DRU-510A with firmware version 1.1a and DRU-500A / FW 2.1a. The firmware is not optimized towards the new, modified G05 dye.
    It's not quite as bad. I just had to make a large duplication for my clients and decided to use Maxell branded Ritek G05 DVD-R's. While about 15% of them failed during burning on Sony DRX-500ULX (external version of DRU-500AX) with 2.1a firmware, the rest that burned successfully are really excellent burns. I also burned a few of these G05's on Pioneer A09XL (firmware 1.40), and while it burned them fine, the ones burned on Sony actually have a much better readability on a couple of old DVD drives I have. Not a single stutter, while Pioneer burns on same exact discs once in a while had some glitches (MXL RG03 burned on A09XL also had similar glitches on those old drives, so it's not G05's fault). Of course on all the new DVD players I tried those G05's, whether from DRX-500ULX or A09XL, they all played fine, including after 4GB point at high bitrates. Also, visually, Sony's burns look much more solid than Pioneer's, with no hint of recalibration rings (all was recorded at 4x on both burners), and the recorded dye looks richer/juicier from Sony's burn. I'm sure that's what makes it more readable on older drives.

These G05's also have KProbe scans that are just as good as the latest MXL and MCC codes, and even better than TY. So, try to burn a few more, and if it does burn to the end, you'll most likely have a very nice quality burn. Visually, looking at the dye, these Maxell Ritek G05's look even better than real Maxell MXL RG03's, which all seem to have nowadays some weird looking scuffs or scratches under the surface near the outer edge. Just look for it and you'll see what I'm talking about. Though they burn/play/scan just fine.

So, Ritek G05 should work in your Sony burner just fine, for the most part. There will be a higher amount of failed discs during recording than you're used to. But if it doesn't fail, you'll most likely have an excellent burn. Those original Sony burners, if they complete a burn successfully, are really producing outstanding results on most media. While I like Pioneer (I have A03 and A09XL), but the readability of Pioneer burned DVD's isn't always as good as Sony's on picky players.
    Quote Quote