VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey friends,

I´m capturing an AVI video from my Mini DV camcorder. Then I convert it to mpeg 2 SVCD NTSC on TMPGEnc and burn the SVCD with VCDEasy. When I try to watch it on my Pioneer DV-333 DVD Player my SVCD has NO SOUND !
    I really need some help...I don´t know what is wrong...

Thanx...
    Gabriel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Some players (like my old Grundig) play SVCD easily...but with no sound. VCD's play with sound. You may just be one of the unlucky ones.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try converting the audio to sampling rate of 44.1 KHz if its set at 48 KHz or vice versa if it's the other way around. Another thing to try is the VCD header trick and seeing if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (S)VCD is supposed to be 44,1kHz, just like audio-CD. DV is 48kHz just like DVD. Those are frequencies that should be used.

DV can have (32kHz?), if dubbing/music track/etc is going to be used and recorded afterwards with camcorder. You may have this setting activated. But it has to be converted to 44,1kHz for (S)VCD and 48kHz for DVD.
    i-NCO
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by miksu
    (S)VCD is supposed to be 44,1kHz, just like audio-CD. DV is 48kHz just like DVD. Those are frequencies that should be used.

DV can have (32kHz?), if dubbing/music track/etc is going to be used and recorded afterwards with camcorder. You may have this setting activated. But it has to be converted to 44,1kHz for (S)VCD and 48kHz for DVD.
    This is true, but some players can act a little funky, as they may occasinally be meant more for CVD (48khz audio I believe?). Again, I reccomended first converting to 41 KHz.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I agree with xtreemkareem convert samplerate to 44.1kHz and it should work since I have the same dvd player and it plays STANDARD SVCD without problems, but if you are just sligthly outside the standar it will do funny stuff.

Just keep the bitrate inside Philips standard and you will be OK.

Max bitrate: 2600 kbps
    subtact the audio: 64-384 kbps (if it is dual-channel or stereo)
    Whats left is the availible bitrate for the video...

And remember samplingrate should be 44.1 kHz....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok.
    With 44.1 sample rate everything worked fine!
    But I set the bitrate to 2520 and the video with 224 bps, and it also worked !!! Why, if the limit is 2600 !!!

Thanx to hech54, xtreemkareem, miksu and bacardi/avt...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CVD has 44.1kHz audio. Some players can play CVD/(S)VCD with 48kHz (DVD-rate) audio. But it's not standard and may work on some players and may not work in some other. Better use RWs for testing...
    i-NCO
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sometimes it works, sometimes i does not....and the standard paper seems to say about 2.6 mbps (see below)

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of audio does your camcorder capture?? TMPEG won't encode Mp3 audio for example. I believe TMPEG will only encode audio from mp2 and wav. 44,100 is the standard for SVCD/VCD audio but most DVD players can handle 48000. Of the dozen or so players I've used only one had trouble playing 48000 SVCD,Koss 305.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Dear friend wulf109,

Is there a big difference between 44,100 and 48,000 ?

Gabriel_Brazil
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Gabriel - the limit for VIDEO bit rate (not total bit rate) for SVCD is 2600 Kbps. I don't know why this value was selected, but that is the standard. The total (audio+video) bit rate is 2723 Kbps. Your SVCD with a video bit rate of 2520 and an audio bit rate of 224 is higher than the standard allows, but many DVD players don't care and will play SVCDs with higher bit rates than the standards allow.

The difference between 48,000 and 44,100 is that 44,100 is the original setting for CD audio. VCD and SVCD were invented by the people who invented CD audio, so they use the same frequency. 48,000 is used for DVD because the higher the frequency, the better the sound is supposed to be. Although I can't prove this, I also think that 48,000 was deliberately chosen for DVD because they thought (at the time) that it would make it very very difficult to convert DVD audio to CD audio, so people would have to buy the soundtrack of the DVD if they wanted to listen to the music on a CD player.

Many DVD players that play SVCD discs don't enforce the standards. 48,000 hz audio will usually is OK on SVCD, but it's not supported by the standards so there are no guarantees it will be OK on all players.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Many DVD players that play SVCD discs don't enforce the standards. 48,000 hz audio will usually is OK on SVCD, but it's not supported by the standards so there are no guarantees it will be OK on all players.
    Of course if you source video is 44khz you shouldn't use 48khz, this is only for DVD ripping (or if you have source with 48khz audio). I know some mad people that convert 44khz>48khz, they are just fool.
    Anyway, if you use the standards settings it's better, especially if you need the disc for long time and you will change your player, if the newest doesn't play it, it's a problem.
    But if it's not a problem for you, then it's O.K..
    But the downsample conversion it's lossless or there is a degradetion of the sound.
    Quote Quote