VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that these forums are predominately about DVD, but I am looking more toward the beginning stages of production. I need an inexpensive source for Hi8/digital8 tapes. I have been asked to tape my first 3 weddings this summer, and I know I will need a bunch. Can somebody please point me in the right direction?
    Phil

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  3. I went to a swap meet and bought a whole bunch of old 3M data 8mm tape for $0.50ea
    Drilled out the 3rd hole and they are now HI8. Work perfect too
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never mind. The wife just found 10 Maxell 60 min at Sam's Club for $25. Haven't found a better price on line anywhere.
    Phil

Quote Quote  
  5. I'd just recommend to test a few of the tapes before using them for the first time for taping a wedding...it would not be good to learn during the vows that the tape is not good quality
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DaveS
    I've used a lot of Maxells in the past, and I really like them. Always work well for me, at least as well as the Sony brand. Fuji is another story though.
    Phil

Quote Quote  
  7. good deal ... the original post didn't quite say that (not that it needed to) so it was just a comment & it sounds like you've got it covered (I think the word 'first' caught my eye)
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using this camera for family videos, etc since 1999, but my brother and 2 other couples have asked me to do their weddings. I have done other things for other people before, but nothing as big as a wedding!
    Phil

Quote Quote  
  9. yup...there's been a bunch of articles on that type of shoot in the past year or so in a bunch of the mags..might be good to do a search and read up to see if there are any new ideas / tips
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've done a few weddings for friends, plus lots of home & vacation stuff.

I know one thing I'd recommend from my trials and errors, just cause the camera has a bunch of features on it, you don't have to use them all. It's easier on the eyes to watch with minimal amounts of zooming, tilting, and panning. The first one I did almost got me motion sickness while watching it.

Make sure you have a good, easy to adjust tripod, if you will be doing mostly stationary work.

Make sure to have an extra long extension cord and or extra batteries.

If you are going to edit the final product for video tape or dvd, watch and see if anyone else is recording it too. One friends wedding had a few people recording besides me, I was able to edit in some different angles of what the others had recorded from the wedding and the reception.

If you can set up in a balcony or choir loft, you don't have to worry about people walking in front of the camera.

Since it's for family/friends, if possible go to the wedding rehearsal and check out where you might want to set up.

Just my experience, good luck and have fun!
    Owner of a Panasonic DMR-HS2 and a DVD+-R/RW Burner.
    Quote Quote