VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a one line response... you must be busy.
    Quote Quote  
  2. bugster:
    Got your file, thx. The sequence display extension in your m2v is reporting NTSC, when it is actually a PAL file.

If you use a hex editor and replace all "00 00 01 B5 25" hex sequence with "00 00 01 B5 23", your file will be correct.

I lookup the changelog of TMpgEnc and found this:

TMPGEnc Plus 2.524 (2.524.63.181) December 16 2004
    [5] Created MPEG-2: the sequence display extension value in the header is now DVD compliant.

so u may want to update your TMpgEnc (I didn't test this, so can't vouch tat the bug is resolved).

Regards,
    - Casey

gwoiler: we can't be too free when u provide so many feedbacks right?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by PictureToTV
    bugster:
    Got your file, thx. The sequence display extension in your m2v is reporting NTSC, when it is actually a PAL file.
    I took a closer look at my TmpGenc settings. despite loading the supplied PAL template, the Video Mode on the main Video tab was set to NTSC!!!!!
    I have now corrected this and re-encoded. The clip now loads fine, thanks for your help
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pros and cons of this software aside, I just discovered that some codecs installed with it completely disabled my favorite subtitle software, Subtitle Workshop! On starting a new project, I found that I couldn't open the video file in SW without it erroring out. Luckily, SW still worked on my other computer, so I compared the installed codecs and found that the only new and different ones on the problem computer were those installed by DVD Composer! As soon as I removed them, Subtitle Workshop was happy again.

Major points lost, guys, since the main reason I was interested in DVD Composer was for its subtitle authoring features. Pretty pointless if it disables Subtitle Workshop, though!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maryah,
    The only codec that DvdComposer installs is MainConcept's Mpeg2 decoder (and splitter). This is actually installed by many other video apps as well.

I'll download subtitle workshop and give it a run, to see if we can re-produce any specific issue. My first hunch is that it's specific to your codec setup, but I'll confirm.

Thx for alerting us to the issue.

- Casey

> Pros and cons of this software aside, I just discovered that
    > some codecs installed with it completely disabled my
    > favorite subtitle software...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good! I'll be happy to share a list of the other software and codecs that are installed on the computer, if that will help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maryah, looks like the prb is with Subtitle Workshop not liking MainConcept's splitter (u may want to let the author know).

Many other software uses MC's codecs, so it would be unfriendly for DvdComposer to auto-adjust MC's codec merit values. Instead, I would recommend that u use Radlight Filter Manager and set this manually:

Under GENERAL tab in Radlight Filter Manager, select "DirectShow Filters -> MainConcept MPEG Splitter -> Merit", and then set the value to MERIT_DO_NOT_USE.

Reboot and u should be a happy man.

- Casey

Originally Posted by maryah
    Sounds good! I'll be happy to share a list of the other software and codecs that are installed on the computer, if that will help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am just trying the program now. I like what it does but would like to see more menus. It doesnt seem to include individual backgrounds which most programs do and would be nice to have. I dont see any way to save menus that I create for future use. That is a big drawback..
    Since there are so few objects included it would be nice to be able to import ones from other sources into the button folder etc that would show up like the resident ones. I have been able to import some buttons and backgrounds but they cant be seen until they are in the work area. Even being able to import backgrounds from " Memories on TV " in a simple way would add a great deal to the program
    Rondijack
    Quote Quote  
  9. I was excited to try the new version with the Super Quick DVD Wizard. As soon as I try to add my videos I get:

...Is not DVD Compliant. Illegal VBV Buffer Size.

I make DVD's all the time with these files. They are DVD compliant produced by Beyond TV. 352x480. Never a problem with Tmpgenc DVD Author.

(Why aren't error messages copy-able? I've never seen an error message box that I could just highlight the error and copy. Why not? Wouldn't it increase accracy of error reporting greatly?)
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK. I tried to make a DVD using the Wizard with other files on my computer which were accepted. They are home movies I made a while ago.

Things seem to be going fine until I got this message when the DVD was being compiled:

This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for information.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Rondijack:
    Thx for the feedback. Good suggestions. One of DvdComposer's biggest strengths is in its ability to use multi-layer PSD files for buttons that will alpha blend with the button video and background video. The PSD files are compatible with DVD Studio Pro's format, and we'll post a tutorial on this shortly.

Presto:
    Think i just replied to your e-mail. Send us your files as well as the crash.dmp file (which resides in your DvdComposer folder). Thx. (PS: it's easier if we stick to just 1 channel of communication

- Casey
    Quote Quote  
  12. Casey,
    I'm happy just communicating in this forum. I just noticed the link in in the email for this new version after I had posted here and thought maybe that was prefered.

I sent you a file. I didn't find any crash.dmp in my DVD Composer folder.

(I just realized that the crash I got durring video compile was probably due to my hard drive being full. I forgot to delete some old projects. So ignore my second problem. Sorry )
    Quote Quote  
  13. Presto, got your file. thx. It does look like the culprit is with BeyondTV, actually. The VBV buffer size value in your file is 212. For DVD compliancy, the value needs to be 224KB. I've verified this with a number of sources:

http://patches.sonic.com/kbdocs/DVD_Parameters.htm
    http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/Book_B/Video.html (this one states the buffer size in MBits).

We try to be strict in our Mpeg file parsing, so that the end result will have less DVD player compatibilty issues. I understand that some other authoring s/w will accept your file, but that is actually incorrect, and is dependent on the tolerance of your DVD player.

I'll monitor the situation to see if many folks are having the same issue. If so, and if most DVD players can ignore this error, we'll relax the parsing.

Thx for highlighting the issue.

- Casey
    Quote Quote  
  14. In these cases wouldn't a warning such as this make sense:

"The VBV Buffer on this file is 212. For a DVD it should be 224. This may cause problems with the finished DVD. Do you wish to procede?"

I'm going to look at Beyond TV and see if there is some setting I can change. When considering DVD compliancy I make sure the dimensions are one those considered acceptable. I never knew I had to look at the VBV Buffer. How many paramaters are there and why would any program ignore one or more of them?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Looks EXECLLENT thus far, I have only one complaint/request in the menu creation functions (unless I totally missed it, then I feel like a git).

additonal entries in the button properties..

height/withd in pixels
    position top/left in pixels

trying to line up some multibuttoned menus is a bit of a pain and would be much simpler and quicker than my dodgy eyesight
    Quote Quote  
  16. We try to be strict in our Mpeg file parsing, so that the end result will have less DVD player compatibilty issues. I understand that some other authoring s/w will accept your file, but that is actually incorrect, and is dependent on the tolerance of your DVD player.
    Here is the reply I got from Beyond TV just now:

Hello,

While that may be the case, the issue is not however with beyondTV. You are using a hardware encoder for your tv tuner (pvr150) as such this device performs ALL the video capture and compression, and only sends a pre-packaged video stream to beyondtv that we just store directly to the harddrive.

If you are using the dvd quality profiles in beyondTV then beyondTV will instruct the tv capture card to use a dvd compatible profile however this is upto the manufacturer's drivers / programming for the card to determine the actual parameters of the MPEG video streams.

The only suggestion I can offer is to contact the software vendor and see if there is a way to disable this strictness of the software or to use another video compression / authoring program that is more lenient.

And on a personal note, I have never even heard of this "VBV buffer" until today, Ive used several different video / dvd authoring programs with beyondTV's captures and never had any issues converting to dvd. Even Adobe's DVD authoring program and video editing suite will work with beyondTV's video files.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Rosco:
    Ye, we couldn't have enough time to code that in for this version. We'll keep this in mind for later updates. Thx!

Presto:
    I couldn't test your file with Encore, since it doesn't seem to like half-D1 resolution (352x480). However, the VBV buffer size adherance is indeed required, as mentioned on both Mpeg.org & Sonic websites.

The BeyondTV guy said that the VBV prob is with the capture card. If this is the case, his success with Encore doesn't mean much unless he's using the exact same capture card (+ same firmware) as you.

In any case, I'm keeping an eye for similar cases. If this is a common bug among many encoders, we'll set this as a warning rather than a rejection in a following update.

Regards,
    - Casey
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well, here's one more problem..

Making a disc using encodes from ProCoder, disc authors/plays perfectly, but..

when I try to play it on WinDVD in the PC to test it, the instant I move the slider to skip thru the program, WinDVD crashes.

- using FF/FR works fine
    - dosen't do it with any other encoded files, or a disc built with another proggie (TMPGenc Author)

Haven't had a chance to test it with other source encodes (that comes this w/e).
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm just full of problems today

Chaptering (manual) seems to be pretty well messed up... put 4 chapters in a 50 minute program and the program added a chapter on it's own ( @00:00:00.08 ) and kept putting it back every time I deleted it. Even after making the disc, chapters were way off (chapters set at 16, 29, 39 minutes, got chapters at 35, 55, 1:16(!! yes it went into the next PROGRAM on the disc).

Hopeing this straightens out quickly, this looks like a killer program and (unlike TMPGenc) can do 16:9 programs with the menus PROPERLY instead of forcing me to have a 4:3 menu with a 16:9 program).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Well, I was going to send this thru the support page on Codejam's site, but seems that only registered users can use it So here we go.. More testing and finding a big'ol'bug...

Trying to test the discs on the PC after building, if I move the slider in WinDVD it will CRASH the program instantly.

If I use FF to scan thru the program, it will FREEZE at each chapter point until I press PLAY again.

Chapter points are in the (mostly) right place VISUALLY, but the time codes are off by 100%. That is to say if I have chapter points set at 1:23, 2:24 and 4:56, as I skip thru the program chapter to chapter, the time display shows 2:46, 8:48 and 9:52. This is consistant all the way thru the program till the end, where the time display shows the program twice it's real length. Sounds like a muxing problem.

It shows this behavior on both NTSC and PAL, with video from Procoder and directly from a Panasonic DVD Recorder.

I've only got 18 days left on the demo, I hope you've got a new version in the queue that addresses this, I really like the thought behind this (it's what DVD Lab shoulda been before they went off on a tangent).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi,
    Using the trial version of this program and liking what i see so far.
    I have a 20 min video that i need to add subtitles to for work.
    But i need to know if DVD composer has all the features we need before we can purchase it, but unfurtunately Codejam's site won't offer any help to trial versions of this software.

And i had to wait 2 days before i could even post on this forum.... so you can understand my frustrations.

My main problem is this....
    I have used subtitle workshop to create my subtitiles with the neseccary timings and exported them as subrip format so that they have the required .srt extention that composer needs.
    When i preview the subtitles in composer they look fine, but when i build the dvd and preview the files on my PC the subtitles look awful, they are all aliased and not smooth at all.... i used the standard font of arial for this if it makes a difference.
    But, even worse, when i burn this DVD and play it on a standalone player on my tv at home, i can't even see the subtitles, there not even recognised.....

Which files do i need to burn to the DVD? do i need to burn the cache folder as well, do i need specific software to burn these files to a DVD....

I really need help with this, as i have promised a lot of people i can do this, so please help me to solve these problems before i go mad with frustration.....

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by PictureToTV
    Hey folks,
    This is Casey from CodeJam.

The software is in beta, and the purpose of releasing the beta is so that we can gather feedback. We want the final release to be good.
    Hmmm . . . The web site says nothing about the software being in beta.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It was a beta april 17.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Any of you guys had any luck with the subtitles yet?
    Quote Quote  
  25. I just made my first DVD with subtitles using DVDComposer. The first few times I tried only some of the subtitles turned up. I was really confused. Then I read that a chapter point can not be placed through a subtitle. I had used the feature of automatically putting a chapter point one a minute.

I was going to suggest that DVDComposer should warn you when this happens. It turns out it does but only durring the build stage. It shows up in the text log that is write there but by the time the DVD is finished it has scrolled up and you wouldn't see it.

So when I tried again I had to put each chapter in manually. I think DVDComposer should warn you about the problem as soon as you add the subtitles to a project that has chapters or as soon as you add chapters to a project that has subtitles. It would be nice if it could offer to fix the problem by nudging the chapter points a little.

I'm still unable to use DVDComposer much because most of the files on my computer were made using Beyond TV and my Hauppauge card and DVDComposer rejects the files due to VBV Buffer problem mentioned in my previous posts.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks for that tip presto,
    I will try that tonight to see if it solves the problem.

How did the subtitles look when you played it back?
    Were they smooth and clean or were they jagged and poor quality?
    Did you create the subtitles in composer or import them from a seperate package?
    Quote Quote  
  27. I downloaded the subtitles along with the video. I just wanted to see how subtitles work. On my finished DVD they look a little jagged but they look fine to me. I chose text rather than graphics in the subtitle window in DVD Composer. I got the impression that graphics would look better but might be harder to figure out. I increased the font size but I think that was a mistake because longer sentences run off the side of the screen rather than start a new line.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Presto:
    We're in the process of uploading 1.0.1, which will warn but not reject files with illegal-VBV values. This version fixes quite a few other important bugs as well, which you can find out from the change-log once it's released (should be there within a day or 2).

Baxxy:
    Presto is correct in that subtitles cannot cross chapter marks. If you have such a subtitle, DvdComposer will automatically truncate it (when you build your DVD) so that it obeys this rule. It will also inform you about this truncation (if any) during the building of the DVD.

Currently, DvdComposer uses up to 2 colors (out of a possible 4) to render your subtitle. One color is used for the text, while the other is used for the text outline. You'll likely get less aliasing with a bigger font size.

1.0.1 fixes some chaptering issues, but I'm not sure if it's related to your subtitle issue specifically. In any case, you can mail us direct (info AT codejam.com) for us to help you better. It's likely faster that way as well, since I only pop-in here once in a while.

Regards,
    - Casey
    Quote Quote  
  29. Presto:
    We're in the process of uploading 1.0.1, which will warn but not reject files with illegal-VBV values. This version fixes quite a few other important bugs as well, which you can find out from the change-log once it's released (should be there within a day or 2).
    Thanks for being so responsive. Tonight I had to make an episode DVD with my usual method which is relatively quick but has lots of repetitious clicks and I have to type in every episode name. I'm hoping your Wizard will make this process easier. I'll let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm testing this with 5 @ 25 minutes of TMPGEnc converted m2v, mp2 files.

Set up the menu, drag and drop the tracks (one video per track). It scans for the frames as I drop the videos, which is fine.

However, when I go back to the menu screen to edit some attributes, (such as pointing the buttons to the correct track), the program starts to rescan the videos again.

On the re-scan of the first track, it got to 100% and then just hangs there while the number of the frames kept on increasing. odd little bug. the program pretty much died on me there.
    Quote Quote