VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've used several Made in Japan Maxell DVD-Rs in the past. The 4x yellow tops were TYs and lately all the 8x gold top DVD-Rs have been MXL RG03s. The latest 8x gold top DVD-R 50-pack that I picked up from Staples though had at least a couple of bad disks in the spindle. My drives have problems even reading the codes. After repeatedly ejecting-reinserting-powering down-powering up-etc. DVD Info Pro eventually reads them, but they hang up Nero before I can even choose files to put on them.

Typical disk:

Bad disk 1:

Bad disk 2:

Just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing these hopefully isolated incidents.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FlyG
    I've used several Made in Japan Maxell DVD-Rs in the past. The 4x yellow tops were TYs and lately all the 8x gold top DVD-Rs have been MXL RG03s. The latest 8x gold top DVD-R 50-pack that I picked up from Staples though had at least a couple of bad disks in the spindle. My drives have problems even reading the codes. After repeatedly ejecting-reinserting-powering down-powering up-etc. DVD Info Pro eventually reads them, but they hang up Nero before I can even choose files to put on them.
    I'm having the same problem with some Maxell 8X MIJ, also from Staples. WTF?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well a couple of bad discs in a spindle of 50 is hardly something to complain about.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes it is. They should be testing them before shipping. A 4% failure rate is shameful as this is just a tiny portion of the disk that is detected as broken.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have to say that too, a few deffective disc is nothing to cry about lol

yea it sucks and shouldnt happen, but hey, thats life

always make sure where u buy media from will take it back if deffective etc etc
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also getting some discs that ID right but stall up when they get to 7% during the burn process.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by koolaidwa
    i have to say that too, a few deffective disc is nothing to cry about lol

yea it sucks and shouldnt happen, but hey, thats life

always make sure where u buy media from will take it back if deffective etc etc
    Yeah, I was more asking if this was something that commonly occurred (occasional defects) than really crying about it. I'd just never personally had it happen all the previous times I've bought these Maxells.

As far as stores taking back defective disks, are there really stores that would take it back if I didn't discover it until I was say through 40 disks of a 50-pack spindle. That seems unlikely, but maybe I'm just cynical.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell (from what I have heard) has decent customer service. If you call their offices (see packaging) and they determine the discs are bad, they will replace them.

I would encourage anyone who experiences such problems to contact their offices. Don't forget to let us know how things turn out!
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had a few bad ones here too.
    WTF is with Maxell?
    I never had any problems with the MXLG02 discs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i ment if 90% of the spindle was bad type of thing, but yea, maxell should replace them for you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These are definately a step down from the MXLG02, IMO. I have never had any problems with those....but these MXLG03 discs really aren't that good. The KProbe scans suck.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what liteon burner do u have then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every spindle will have an average 1-5% failure rate even on the best of media. A lot of this may be firmware and drive related, not necessarily media related. When known good media is giving you trouble, that's the likely culprit, not the media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yup smurf is right

i have had a few ty disc not burn very good out of spindles, thats the name of the game tho
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a defective disk from my 15 pack of maxell made in japans. Maybe it is one of the 1-5% bad ones.

edit
    oops disk was bad because of operator error.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had an entire 50 disc retail spindle of MXLRG03 that refused to burn at 8x on my PX-712A; they'd either drop to 6x or simply die. I'm not too thrilled with the results I get with retail MAXELL002 spindles either. I'll try some Maxell Pro 8x DVD-R one of these days to see if there is a major difference in quality; I don't recall ever having problems with the Apple-branded MXLRG03 disc. I do know that the Apple-branded discs had a completely different serial numbering scheme from the retail Maxell-branded discs, suggesting they weren't made at the same factory...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd blame the Plextor firmware.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I'd blame the Plextor firmware.
    "shakes my head".......I've had coasters too with the MXLRG03 discs using my Pioneer 107D dvd burner and Benq 1620 drive....so I don't think the problem is the Plextor firmware.....I think the quality control of the Maxell MXLRG03 discs is the problem.....Blame Plextor firmware when you don't even own a Plextor burner!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the quality control of the Maxell MXLRG03 discs is the problem
    I think you're right.
    I've had trouble with these discs on 3 different drives.
    It's not just a bad spindle either because I've used discs off of 2 different spindles and get the same results. Very disappointed.
    Quote Quote